View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Laptop for race trailer

As part of my IT career, I briefly repaired Dell products in people's homes, as the company, who bought our national customer service division had the service contract for Dell.
I found the product substandard and could not believe the poor tech support these people were getting from Dell.
Often, when I showed up on site with the part, which we were contracted to replace, I knew that the part was not going to resolve the issue. But, I had to replace the part anyway as that is what we were being paid for.

It was no big deal if it was a graphic or sound card, but it was a huge deal if it was a laptop motherboard.

I also came across two instances where the PC configuration was not tested before being sold. One of those created a huge issue for the customer as he was under contract with Disney to do animation. It was a simple solution and no one at Dell was capable of even finding the cause.

Now, this was 20 years ago and a lot has changed, but it has always left a sour taste in my mouth.
This experience was also what made me quit that job and move my career in a different direction.