View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Brad Hawk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Converter company suggestions for my application

I'll put the car back on the track w/ the current -- and old -- Dynamic (Lupo) 9.5" piece that was in the car previously to get a baseline w/ the new engine combination. With that combination, it would flash to approx 4500 from a 2000 launch and showed about 8% slippage on the big end (1/4 mile).

Being a dual-purpose car, I don't presume the converter can be set "on kill" and still actually drive the pig to the track. However, my expectation is I'll be getting recommendations to go w/ a tight 8".

The torque peak's moved up from about 4900 to 5100, and the HP peak has moved up from 6300 to 6800. Power-wise, the torque curve has picked up across the full 3500-7200 dyno pull range and the peak HP is is up about 60 HP. Trap RPM will probably increase from 6800 to maybe 7200 now.

It's a BB Mopar (440 stock-stroke), and a number of BBM bracket racers were using Ultimate w/ good results before Lenny sold it (to one of his former employees, IIRC).

I really don't have any complaints w/ Dynamic based on how the 9.5" has performed, but they haven't even updated their website in 10+ years. I have no sense for what they're doing today or what their rep is now.

Have never used ATI, but I could drive there from where I live in Northern Virginia and talk to them face-to-face, if a better approach than over the phone. I have talked w/ their reps at the track, but not in many years.

Also not against going somewhere else, so any feedback or thoughts as to what converter company might have a better handle on a combination like mine is appreciated. FWIW, it's approx 3800# w/ driver and should pick up noticeably over the old engine that was good for mid-to-high 10s as driven to the track.

My apology if this post seems to bounce around in terms of how info is presented. Thx - Brad
Brad Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote