View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 02:40 AM   #3
Cglrcng

Liked 131 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: A 30 year journey, and a 2nd chance.

Back to the track though (looked it up in 1993), car naturally fit FF/SA, and can go up to 25.00Lbs/per HP in GF/SA, and at that time the factor said 110HP period...more about that later in the story until late May 1995 and Feb. 1996 period.

First pass ever on this car (April or May 1993), in the quarter at Carlsbad in ok air, is -.10 under the GF/SA index of 17.45 and the car is showing about 200 lbs heavy. 4 time trials later it is very (though not deadly), consistent since I am making minor tire pressure changes, air cleaner element in, out, among other things, 1 at a time changes during a not really packed but busy track day).

My lights ranged .496, then .506 to .512 over the next 3 (-.004 today to .012) on a 3 amber 5/10's tree- more than ok, perfect actually, the car runs under from the factory (as long as you drop it 1 class and race it heavy, and the mile an hr is in the 84-85 MPH range. And shift points are at 5,200-5,600 depended on in D or shifted manually. (Through the Cat/Muffler, and A/C belt still on it, A/C turned off).

Beyond that it is beyond the power range.(with zero machining and the stock cam

OK, as a class car it certainly isn't quick, but it has potential, and there must be a lot of changes we can make, just not today.

Let's see how good a bracket car it will be...entered the Street Class Bracket 4 for the day., 36 cars in the bracket and a few hrs. later I have a $400.00 win ck., and a trophy, took the money home and broke the good news / bad news to her, we have a definite slow E.T. bracket car (and potential future Budget Class Car), and we are going shopping for another daily driver for her on Monday!

That was not its only win in slow bracket play, quite a few resulted in 93 and 94, from Carlsbad, CA, Las Vegas, NV, Surprise, AZ, and Chandler, AZ. (Plus 2nd place at a S/SS Shootout at Surprise, AZ put on by Pitre Chrysler Plymouth). I wanted to race National events in 1995, so 1994 was spent earning grade points.

I will start to list the early changes done to the car next to get it from a -.10 under deal to a just ok (but still not really competitive -.55 under deal, and the beginning of the "dreaded and seemingly impossible to resolve issue" that caused me to park it both before and, even after I requested a review of the combo in Dec. 1995, and received a very welcomed 11HP reduction in Feb. 1996. (when you only start w/ 99HP, am forced to race it 11HP higher at 110, and each HP is equal to more than 1%, and each added HP cost you to race 25lbs heavier, it isn't very hard to figure out you are carrying around a lot of unnecessary (like 275lbs too much on a snails back).

Before the reduction request (1995 Englishtown, NJ National Event, had just won Class Wally alone, and just under the index by a couple of tenths btw with issues...the days before they added the Combo-Class races, a tech official visited our pit area and told me I did not have to report to the barn for teardown but my buddy was to report there....I casually asked why I was being penalized 11HP, when I knew for a fact that nobody but this guy, had ever raced this specific car/engine combo before in Stk. Elim. and he looked at me, and said let me go find out if that is correct or not...He came back about a half hour later and said, you know...YOU ARE RIGHT....The only passes or data we have on that specific TBI combo historically are all yours, just less than a year and a half's worth, and every single 1 of those, made in competition come in way under the top performance required to penalize your combo.

And then showed me how to submit a request to review the combo, and at the same time we checked all my numbers and did find out that Chrysler never did actually add (report to NHRA at least), the mid-year change of the intake they factory installed on my car, and in an hr. he was on the phone with the Manufacturer and had a definitive answer that that vin was produced 3rd week of 1984, and that they were out of the 1984 intakes by then and that particular car was produced with the intakes they had originally mid-year prepared for the 1985 model year never produced. So, they used them...Then NHRA added the intake number also at the same time I received my HP Reduction back to the original 99HP.

(Am currently attempting to find out what happened somewhere before 6-2-2003 that caused the current increase of 6HP factoring to 105HP, have had no luck researching the avail. data as of yet...(6HP is 150 lbs). I dieted the car legally to run it at 99HP.

So, I have had to add weight back.
Cglrcng is offline   Reply With Quote