View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Another street combination added to the guide

I'll be glad to give you an answer. The motor in Andrew's car is a 70 LT1 which was 360hp from the factory and now is rated at 325. This motor was rated at gross horsepower rating, starting in 1972 the manufacturers began using an SAE net horsepower rating which is much lower than the gross one. For example the motor I ran in my car was a 71 LT1 which was factory rated at 330 but the 72 motor which is identical was 255. Since 1972 the factory ratings are net hp ratings. Look at post 72 combinations in the guide and see what the original factory ratings and what they are factored to.

Andrew's car is pretty fast for an old car, but the best running Mopars or Pontiacs, or Fords in his class are right with him. Our engine builder does other motors for cars that run in D/SA and two of the other ones make just as much hp as Andrew's and are rated the same. I will tell you that Andrew's car is more efficient than the other two.

Now, to get back to the new street legal Camaro and Challenger. As far as I know there are no other cars in the guide that are under their SAE net hp ratings. These two cars are both about 20% less than their factory SAE net ratings plus huge differences in shipping weights. They also are the only two cars that I know of that don't have their factory rating in the guide. It's like Chevy and Dodge were trying to slip these in so people would not catch on.

How can anyone think this is the right thing to do? Why do certain folks get on here and champion this bogus stuff. What's their agenda? It's the responsibility of the sanctioning ibody to make sure the playing field is relatively level. Over the years they have consistently not done that. Back when Pontiac was the official car they let the Firebird with the 2nd generation LT 1 in at a factory rating of 275 or the LS1 at 305. This led to the Fuel injected classes. They are now at 358 and 382. They did the same thing with the new factory cars which eventually got fixed by putting them in their own classes.
Just to put this in perspective a 2001 LS 1 Firebird with an automatic is rated at 382 hp and the 2015 Camaro with the LS3 is rated at 365. At B/SA weight the 2001 Firebird would have to weigh 3420 and the 2015 Camaro would have to weigh 3275. In race trim the LS 3 motor would probably make 100 hp more.

Last edited by Greg Hill; 07-28-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Greg Hill is offline   Reply With Quote