View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 01:14 PM   #9
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: Lithium battery goes up in smoke at Gainesville….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altronics View Post
Most of the lithium batteries sold by this "Brand" in question do not have a BMS (Battery Management System)

The BMS protects the battery!!!!

Myself and Pat McCue (MLE racecars) have been in talks with the NHRA for a couple of years now trying to establish a requirement for all lithium batteries used at NHRA events have the correct protection built in. Hopefully, this will get finalized soon.

It is unfortunate that there are several companies that are selling lithium batteries in the performance market without a BMS or any other protection. Note: Internal battery "Balancers" are a BMS and are NOT protection!

It is much less expensive to build a lithium battery without a BMS. The BMS can double the price of the battery.

Many batteries will also advertise using Lithium Iron Phosphate - LiFePo4 "Safe" cells, and although they are the Safest lithium cell, they still can go into thermal runaway without a BMS.

I have 30 years engineering experience developing electronics. When Lithium batteries first started being used in the automotive aftermarket there were no BMS systems that could handle the power required to crank high compression racing engines. I spent many years developing the first BMS that could work is this application. The BMS used in our PowerLite PRO series batteries fully protects the battery from you and you from the battery. Our BMS protects from under/over voltage, cell imbalance, over/under temperature, cranking time limit, over current, and short circuit.

Here is a link for more basic info on a BMS->
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_management_system

Lithium batteries are great when built and used properly. We have PowerLite batteries that are 10 years old and still going strong and of course, at about 10 pounds, it is hard to beat the cost per weight savings.

Remember:
1) Balancers are NOT protection
2) There are no such thing as matched cells that do not require a BMS
3) There are no lithium battery chemistries that do not require a BMS
4) A Lithium battery without a BMS is not a good idea

Do your homework before purchasing a lithium battery. Make sure it has a Full BMS protection!!!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!
Good info here, don't think you were referring to my little ATX 20HD which does have bms, I seem to recall one or two of the manufacturers I called up didn't use BMS. Their argument was it was a crutch for substandard cells, which I can see, but I wanted a bit more security with a BMS. Rapidly changing world, even Optima now offers small lithium orange batteries with BMS.