View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #72
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,046 Times in 276 Posts
Default Re: Should Indy be an All Run Field in Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackley View Post
Class winners first then fill tbe 128 car field with fastest cars as it was.

The only problem I have with this is the classes with one car that never competes for class, and many times would not even come close to qualifying based off of the index.

So I'd say contested class winners get in, not just class winners.

Because these are performance based eliminators. If you do not have to race another car to win class, then you should qualify according to how far you run under your index. Performance based means you measure yourself against competitors. If there are no competitors in your class, then you measure your performance against the rest of the cars qualifying off of their index.

Yeah, I know, "it's not your fault you're the only person who built an obscure combination for a class no one else in the country runs." But it is your fault if that combination can't run far enough under the index to qualify. If the guy who decides to run B/SA against 10-15 other cars, but doesn't win class, does not qualify running 0.780 under his index, why should anyone who competes against no one get in if they can't run 0.500 under going down hill with a tail wind, just because they got to solo for class? How do you call it a performance based eliminator, then reward someone for avoiding the need to compete based on performance? If you're going to do that, just stopping racing, and give everyone a trophy for showing up.

Last edited by Alan Roehrich; 09-19-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Alan Roehrich is offline   Reply With Quote