HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 693 Times in 269 Posts
Default Changes?

Check this out. Looks like drag Racing isn't the only venue that is searching for $$$. Notice it is all about "Fan Experience"
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jou...rchandise.aspx

Please read carefully and don't put too much "Between the lines"

Last edited by Adger Smith; 07-05-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Changes?

They assume they'll sell more merchandise with it on a rack or table instead of at a trailer... instead of working to reestablish a dynamic bond between the fan and the car/driver. If the fans don't care about the car/driver, they're not going to buy a shirt regardless of how it is displayed.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,099 Times in 288 Posts

No one wants to give $20+ for a t-shirt, no matter who is on it. NHRA wants a huge cut off of everything sold. It's called greed. They take ALL the cream, and they wonder why no one wants to milk the damned cow for them any more.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
6mmgunship

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate to say it but this plague seems to be pretty much across all forms of Pro racing. The major sanctioning bodies trying to figure out how to keep the seats filled and money being brought into the venue to be spent. I went to a couple of major racing kart events here. Their attracting the local racing crowd with reasonable entry fees typically $10.00 gate. The racers gate fee is usually $75.00 to $140.00 which is workable. The higher fee usually brings a class winner $800.00 to 1,800.00 depending on the event. Yes. these guys are a very small type operation but they have people watching & can get racers in the gate to put on the show!!!!! Hummm!!!!! Just my .02

Pat Collins
6mmgunship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 693 Times in 269 Posts

Pat,
I think that is called Grass Roots support. That is what put all of these organizations on the map and there are signs all around that they have forgotten it. At one time the good old working man could afford to attend and have a good time with his family & friends without skipping his house payment. (OH! More Problems) Now he keeps his house and watches on a big screen then orders his souvenirs on line. No wonder the seats are empty.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

Bill France Sr was interviewed by a well known automotive writer and I quote:" I don't care how much TV will offer us for our broadcasting rights, what we count on days in and days out are the fans sitting in our seats, we care about them, because they made us who we are."
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 287 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Bill France Sr was interviewed by a well known automotive writer and I quote:" I don't care how much TV will offer us for our broadcasting rights, what we count on days in and days out are the fans sitting in our seats, we care about them, because they made us who we are."

If you believe that I have some beach side property in Orlando.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
6mmgunship

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since France Sr passed it has been a different game played. The focus has been lost in many racing venues. It is the seats being full at ALL events that lets you know you have the right mix. If not you need to re wobble things until you get the balance back. Like Adger mentioned Bubba has no reason to leave his Kumfy chair & Big Screen. You need to inspire them to leave the house and see things LIVE!!!!!!!!!! Like the King said tonight on TV Its The Noise & Smells of Racin that brings them home to the track. Gotta Luv Petty!!!

Pat Collins
6mmgunship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:50 AM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,099 Times in 288 Posts

You cannot charge people what NHRA and NASCAR want to charge. It simply won't work. The tickets are high, the concessions are high and they are not good, and the memorabilia is outrageous. They are not even close to being competitive for the entertainment dollar.

I dearly love this sport, to the point of doing fiscally stupid things to stay in it. But I won't pay what they charge just to spectate.

There is nothing wrong with profit, profit is a good thing, and it inspires businesses, and keeps them viable. But NHRA and NASCAR are killing motorsports with greed. They drive off the live spectators with price gouging, and then NHRA drives off the TV audience with their ESPN deal. All of which drives off sponsors. Half the pro fields are hanging on by their fingernails and going broke doing it.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
MikeMoller

Liked 243 Times in 73 Posts

Both NASCAR and NHRA have just plain forgotten the fans. Notice during TV coverage they hardly ever show the stands, which are hardly full for any event. The money comes from TV. Ten years ago there was a major increase in popularity, lot of 'newbie' fans, and of course ticket prices got raised. However, the economy went south, the fad passed, and attendance has dwindled. But ticket prices have not come down, and will not come down, a lot of the 'old' loyal fans can't afford the higher prices. The sanctioning bodies have no interest in having fans in the stands. Shame on them.