HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
racerdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face Newbie Building a Ford Maverick

Hello, I have this old Ford Maverick that I want to turn into a NHRA stocker. Have raced for years in ET classes but now I want to go slower (don't know why) in Stock Eliminator. The class for the car will be P/SA. Before I get started and believe me I am new at this game, what kind of tips would you share with me. Who does a good job on heads, what gear ratio should I consider ( I have an 8 inch differential; is it worth building) Is there anyone who has put a Maverick/Comet together that can get me pointed in the right direction. Hey thanks in advance, Hope to be on the track soon.

Dale
NHRA 6080
racerdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question Re: Newbie Building a Ford Maverick

what year Maverick? It would be a 302 2bbl right? as for the 8" rear end,they make axles & aftermarket posi for it. if it were me i'd look for an 8.8 out of a mustang 5.0. what size tire are you looking to run? that will have alot to do with the gear you need. you'll also want a C4 with a low gear set....ATI makes a 2.91 I guess my last question is what are you looking to do with this car? are you going to bracket race it & run stock just a couple times a year? or are you going to run stock 8 or 10 a year? this will have alot to do with the way you build the car. good luck
Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Newbie Building a Ford Maverick

What year is it, or should I say what year do you want it to be.... and what engine are you considering? I don't know if the Maverick ever had a v-8 with a 4bbl carb. Are you thinking 302-2bbl?
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 341 Times in 133 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Newbie Building a Ford Maverick

The 8" rear end would probably stand up in your application. If Louis Jeffery sees this thread, he may be able to provide some insight. He ran one in his IHRA Crate Motor Maverick. The weak link is the limited availability of gear ratios and a "real" spool.

The challenge you will face with the 302 is the Ford curse - heads and carburetor compared to other brand combinations in the class. Depending upon how far under the index you set your target, and where you plan to compete(geographically), you may find a level of performance that allows you to get into the field of choice.

I'm sure there are racers here with recommendations for a small block Ford builder near you.

Now if you REALLY want to slow down, I have a V/SA Maverick for you!!
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 941 Times in 260 Posts

There is a 72 Mercury Comet from Washington state that has been running in P&Q/SA for the past few years, with the 302 2 barrel engine. As previously mentioned, these cars were only equipped with 2 barrel carbs, plus the heads are pretty poor, compared to the 283 Chevys.I can`t say that I had ever seen this Comet run more than about .25 under the current index, don`t forget that NHRA is apparently going to be reducing all the Stock indexs by 2 tenths. I understand that the engine in the Comet was pretty low buck, and decidedly "untrick", but even with wheelbarrows full of $$$ thrown at it, I doubt that it would ever be a top half qualifier. But unless you have a bunch of P&Q cars in your area, why not? Personally, I wouldn`t waste any money on the 8" rearend, the gear selection is too limited, unless you plan to use really short slicks, I don`t think the 4.62 ratio would be steep enough, which I think is as low as you can get. 8.8`s are cheap and plentiful, with a decent gear selection, and spools and axles are readily available.A 9" has a lot more ratios available, but is also heavier.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
LouisJeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Newbie Building a Ford Maverick

I ran a 1972 Ford Maverick P/SA with a 302 2V. We currently run the car as a L/CM with a 215/240hp 302. The P/SA combo ran 13.50 on a 13.75 index. We had fun with it but wanted to go faster. Keep in mind that the fuel injected 6 cyl. firebirds are coming back and can run 12.60 as a P/SA. We had NO problem with the 8 inch rearend other than ratio converted to 8.8 with regular Ford ends so all the stock brakes still work. I have the heads intake and a Dean Oliver carb. left over if you are interested. Louis Jeffery 3225 stock
LouisJeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
racerdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJeffery View Post
I ran a 1972 Ford Maverick P/SA with a 302 2V. We currently run the car as a L/CM with a 215/240hp 302. The P/SA combo ran 13.50 on a 13.75 index. We had fun with it but wanted to go faster. Keep in mind that the fuel injected 6 cyl. firebirds are coming back and can run 12.60 as a P/SA. We had NO problem with the 8 inch rearend other than ratio converted to 8.8 with regular Ford ends so all the stock brakes still work. I have the heads intake and a Dean Oliver carb. left over if you are interested. Louis Jeffery 3225 stock
Hey Jefffery,
Thanks for your reply. I plan on running it a couple of years at some 6 or 8 races a year primarily in the North west. Yes I am very interested in the heads . carb and intake so give me a price and lets talk. Phone is 360-871-2454 or leave me your number . I am going to contact NHRA and lobby that they review how they are going to change indexes. The national record for P stock is not to far from the index so it would be unfair to change that class, Maybe I can add weight amove to the next class. Again thanks and I hope to hear from you
Dale
Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
racerdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
There is a 72 Mercury Comet from Washington state that has been running in P&Q/SA for the past few years, with the 302 2 barrel engine. As previously mentioned, these cars were only equipped with 2 barrel carbs, plus the heads are pretty poor, compared to the 283 Chevys.I can`t say that I had ever seen this Comet run more than about .25 under the current index, don`t forget that NHRA is apparently going to be reducing all the Stock indexs by 2 tenths. I understand that the engine in the Comet was pretty low buck, and decidedly "untrick", but even with wheelbarrows full of $$$ thrown at it, I doubt that it would ever be a top half qualifier. But unless you have a bunch of P&Q cars in your area, why not? Personally, I wouldn`t waste any money on the 8" rearend, the gear selection is too limited, unless you plan to use really short slicks, I don`t think the 4.62 ratio would be steep enough, which I think is as low as you can get. 8.8`s are cheap and plentiful, with a decent gear selection, and spools and axles are readily available.A 9" has a lot more ratios available, but is also heavier.

Hey Rory,
I know you from Bremerton Raceway. I have looked at your Mustang in the past. I know the guy who owns the Comet . The car was built fairly inexpensive and that is what Iwas looking for as a first project. Not sure if stock is my game but it may be. I will take your advice and look for a 8.8. I am going to contact NHRA and lobby for P stock class. The national record is not far from the index so they may be eliminating a lot of cars. Again thanks. hope to see you at some national opens and divisionals
Dale
Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 341 Times in 133 Posts

Hey Rory, just FYI, Precision Gear offers a 5.43 gear set for the 8"....I have one.
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
racerdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Turner View Post
The 8" rear end would probably stand up in your application. If Louis Jeffery sees this thread, he may be able to provide some insight. He ran one in his IHRA Crate Motor Maverick. The weak link is the limited availability of gear ratios and a "real" spool.

The challenge you will face with the 302 is the Ford curse - heads and carburetor compared to other brand combinations in the class. Depending upon how far under the index you set your target, and where you plan to compete(geographically), you may find a level of performance that allows you to get into the field of choice.

I'm sure there are racers here with recommendations for a small block Ford builder near you.

Now if you REALLY want to slow down, I have a V/SA Maverick for you!!

Hey Dave Thanks for your reply,
I plan on running the car for a couple years to see if stock is my game. There are lot of Ford guys but not many P stock. My target was to get 2 under the index and as long as I don't run into them fuel injected Pontiac guys I should be fine. Maybe add some weight to get to Q. If NHRA reduces the index by 2 tenths then I guess Ill have a bracket car for sale. That V/SA sounds interesting, slow but interesting. Thanks
Dale