HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 473 Times in 176 Posts
Default Oil Downs (Beat to Death)

I have been outspoken about this subect and we have had a ga-zillion comments about it. I am not racing the Winternationals this year and I am listening and watching on the internet.
The race is on hold for a Top Fuel oil down. Been down for a half an hour now, enough time to run the next complete round of Super Stock. Earlier was a similar Funny Car oil down. Yesterday evening, an Alcohol Funny car oiled over half the track. I listened to the first round of Stock and Super Stock, and recall one incident of water on the starting line, that took a minute to clean up, with about 140 cars going down the track. I may have missed some, but it certainly was not like the fuel cars where you: Make a run, clean the track, etc.
The probablilty of a Fuel Car oiling the track is (on a scale of 1 - 10) is probably around 5. The likelihood of a Stock or SuperStock car is, in my estimation, significantly less than 1. I would like NHRA to calculate the "down time" due to oil downs, on a "percapita" calculation, address the oil down problem accordingly.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
will prater

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil Downs (Beat to Death)

Make them tech in with one motor and have to use it all weekend. Eddy Hill used to run the same one all weekend in his fuel drag boat. Calm them down so they can get down the track. So what if they are a little slower the noise will still be there. And they might actually have more side by side runs.
will prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I have been outspoken about this subect and we have had a ga-zillion comments about it. I am not racing the Winternationals this year and I am listening and watching on the internet.
The race is on hold for a Top Fuel oil down. Been down for a half an hour now, enough time to run the next complete round of Super Stock. Earlier was a similar Funny Car oil down. Yesterday evening, an Alcohol Funny car oiled over half the track. I listened to the first round of Stock and Super Stock, and recall one incident of water on the starting line, that took a minute to clean up, with about 140 cars going down the track. I may have missed some, but it certainly was not like the fuel cars where you: Make a run, clean the track, etc.
The probablilty of a Fuel Car oiling the track is (on a scale of 1 - 10) is probably around 5. The likelihood of a Stock or SuperStock car is, in my estimation, significantly less than 1. I would like NHRA to calculate the "down time" due to oil downs, on a "percapita" calculation, address the oil down problem accordingly.

this was a topic of discusion at my local machine shop yesterday ,,yes it sucks in the delay but each team is getting fined per oil down (one frebee per year) but to a sportsman racer who has a limted budget and has some bad luck with fluids on the track twice in a season this can put a deciding factor in place (do i as racer continue to race the season or say i am done)all off us make sure our cars are reliable to get down the track with out any fluids coming out ,this not only at a national but divisional as well ,,we all hate when there is a oil down and waiting but it happens ,,,fines maybe but have the person who oiled down perform comunity service on the track ,,it might make for faster clean up with out the hit to the wallet ,,,,,thoughts
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Jess Suter

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

The first round of top fuel and funny car took 90 minutes. So did the 2nd session with half the cars! The rest of the racers sit and wait. They couldnt start sportsmen early beacause the track was too cold. I understand this as having been there many years. NHRA is only concerned for the ESPN show-period. Look at the stands on ESPN3, alot of empty seats. People want to see racing not idiots shooting shirts into the crowd nor do they want to see the sweepers going up and down the track. The trickle down effect will of course be to the sportsman. I wonder how many teams have burned their "freebie" in the first race of the year? Not a great way to start the year off in my opinion. Here it is already 3:15 pST and still have not seen any true sportsman on the track. Probably won't happen today because once the sun starts setting the track goes away. Toby called it on Friday-sportsman will run on monday! Awfully sad. NHRA HAS to do something about these oil downs. Penalties and points obviously don't work so what is the answer? 1 engine per event? Automatic DQ? I don't know what will work but it has to be cleaned up som how
Jess Suter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not a mechanical guy so if some of this is wrong but my theory if this. Go back to quarter mile, the 1000ft idea isn't making a difference now. Everybody is just turning it up harder in 1000ft. Lower the cubic inches, take of a fuel pump and a magneto. If you don't have the fuel then you can spin the supercharger as fast. Besides if you not using as much fuel and parts the smaller teams can run more events it will balance it out better. Less money equals more sponsors less time on events makes racing better.
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 473 Times in 176 Posts

Antron oiled the track.........over 15 minutes so far for clean up.

Two runs later, a funny car oil down......on hold again.

Last edited by SStockDart; 02-27-2011 at 08:06 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
nopwradders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with "skills"! Go back to a 1/4 mile racing, but change the engine set ups and fuel. They are pushing them harder now than before. Again, its all part of the "show".Now instead of trying to set 1/4 records, they are pushing them to get 1000 ft records.
Are the oil downs created by stressed equipment or has there been alot of tires going up in smoke and un-loading the motor?
nopwradders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by will prater View Post
Make them tech in with one motor and have to use it all weekend. Eddy Hill used to run the same one all weekend in his fuel drag boat. Calm them down so they can get down the track. So what if they are a little slower the noise will still be there. And they might actually have more side by side runs.
Big Daddy suggested this also. I think it would do wonders for speeding things up. It would also help the small teams keep up.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Steve1118

Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

The way to solve this problem is simple:

Require every Stock / Super Stock / SG / SST / 9-10 second bracket car purchase a diaper, and then figure out how to get it on.

That'll fix the oildown problem.
Steve1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1118 View Post
The way to solve this problem is simple:

Require every Stock / Super Stock / SG / SST / 9-10 second bracket car purchase a diaper, and then figure out how to get it on.

That'll fix the oildown problem.
I hope your trying to be funny. That's not who is oiling the tracks. I hope your kidding.

Will Prater has it right.