HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Doug Domm

Liked 83 Times in 20 Posts
Default What is the correct 68 Camaro dash paint?

What is the correct sheen for 68 Camaro black dash paint? I want to paint my roll bar the same sheen as the dash face and the dash has some scratches and marks so this is the time to freshen it too. The top of the dash looks ok but has a different finish to it than the face. I tried to look up the formula for the dash face to find what percent sheen it is but no luck. Maybe there is a rattle can match someone has found? I'd be happy to try that too. Just out of interest what is the dash top paint too it almost has a suede texture to it? Thanks Doug
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts
Default Re: What is the correct 68 Camaro dash paint?

Try Tremclad semi-gloss for the bar. gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What is the correct 68 Camaro dash paint?

I've 'restofied' a few '68 Camaros and there is some debate on what is 'correct' for the dash and what isn't. I'll be doing another one in less than a year-

I've used PPG Ditzler 9266 on the dash face with good results-it is supposedly the correct code.

I have also used PPG Ditzler 9317 for the top of the dash inbetween the dash pad and the windsheild. Put it on fairly heavy so it gets the proper suede appearance.

Also, on the VIN plate on the upper dash I used black satin as it appeared to have more gloss originally than the 9317.

I didn't paint the cars, I just rounded up the parts and pieces and irritated the guys that did paint the cars with 'correct' codes and lines and such,lol.

The 9317 has little if any gloss as the 'flatness' helps prevent glare that is found with semi gloss and gloss paints.

And if you need a new dash pad but still have the original one that is cracked up send it to Al Knoch, they are-imo- the best. The repro dash pads are not very good, imo.

Good luck with your project-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Domm View Post
What is the correct sheen for 68 Camaro black dash paint? I want to paint my roll bar the same sheen as the dash face and the dash has some scratches and marks so this is the time to freshen it too. The top of the dash looks ok but has a different finish to it than the face. I tried to look up the formula for the dash face to find what percent sheen it is but no luck. Maybe there is a rattle can match someone has found? I'd be happy to try that too. Just out of interest what is the dash top paint too it almost has a suede texture to it? Thanks Doug