HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Dummy GT / Super Stock Questions

I like the Pontiac powered GT cars. But I don't know the exact rules for using an engine that didn't come from the factory in the body being used.

So, ya'll please bear with me as I ask these questions which most everybody on this site knows the answer to.

OK, am I correct in saying that the engine chosen must meet the same rules it would if that engine was raced in Super Stock in a body style which it came from the factory in ?

For example: let's say you choose a 1978 W-72 400 engine, which had 6x-4 heads. In this case, if you put that motor into a 4th gen Bird, would the motor be subject to exactly the same rules and hp factor that it would if raced in a '78 TA ?

Can that motor be used in any year or body style Pontiac, or only certain years and bodies.?

Is there a website with all the details I'm asking about, which somebody could give me a link to ?

Thanks ! And Happy New Year, ya'll !
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
ss3011

Liked 227 Times in 106 Posts
Default Re: Dummy GT / Super Stock Questions

The engine build would be the same rules as in a GT vs SS, but some engines are rated at different factored HP in a GT vs SS class. You can check what the engine is factored at by looking it up on the NHRA classification sheet under the engine year you are working on.
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post

...some engines are rated at different factored HP in a GT vs SS class. You can check what the engine is factored at by looking it up on the NHRA classification sheet...

OK, that's the info I need. Do you have a link to the site which gives the HP factor for various Pontiac motors, when used in a GT car ?

Thanks !

Hey, I found it. The W-72 is rated at 289hp in a GT car, and 285 in a '78 TA. Thanks again !

http://www.nhra.com/competition/classification.aspx

Last edited by oldskool; 12-31-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Sean Marconette

Liked 167 Times in 61 Posts

Try this: http://www.classracerinfo.com

You will have to register.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts

Determining a GT build class can be a pain. I speak from experience, here. Use the info link above and register. It is flexible and fairly accurate, Have fun with your Pontiac.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Dummy GT / Super Stock Questions

oldskool,

I can save you a lot Time & Money ? Call and talk to your Div. tech guys & have a list of questions you need answered ... They are good guys to know & will help you out...I think you can run any engine in any car in GT, but the engine must be claimed at a certain HP in GT... Regular S/S is a little more restrictive ... In a Pontiac, 350 & 400's are both good S/S & GT motors ... Hope this helps, contact your Tech guy ASAP ... Good Luck & welcome to the Jungle ..... Don't be afraid to ask questions ???

Last edited by Dave Ribeiro; 01-01-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Dave Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
oldskool
VIP Member

OK, thanks for the info !

Now I got some more dummy questions.

I just looked at the GT cars that were at Indy. Most were 3rd or 4th gen cars, or the real small cars. I did not see one 1st or 2nd gen car. So, I'm wondering why that is. Seems like it would be a little easier and cheaper to put a Pontiac engine into a car that came with one. I was lookin at a cheap '93 Bird roller. But I backed out, when I looked under the hood. There's no room to work on the motor.

I assume the reason guys use the 3rd and 4th gens is because they are more aerodynamic and maybe lighter too. Does this sound reasonable ? Or is there some other reason ?

I was thinkin about possible engines for a '68 Bird that were not available in a 1st gen. Some of the low compression 350's and 400's still have decent factors. And there are some 455's that might work. There's even an alum head 428 that would run GT/EA.

Hey, I'm not talkin about anything to qualify at Indy. Just something that can run the index at an all run event. According to the index numbers I see, EA is 10.65. There are several '68 E/SA cars running within a tenth or so of that with legal 400's. Looks like a mild 428 Super Stock engine should easily run 10.50's or quicker.

Hey, I'm just thinkin out loud. But I'm assuming that there are still quite a few low budget guys who try to get by just under their index, correct ? For the price some of these guys are paying the top builders for a quick Stocker engine, I figure you could build a barely under SS engine. Hey, I warned ya'll I had some dummy questions.

It's been a long time since we ran stockers. And a lot has changed. All the local tracks switched to brackets years ago. But there's a nice track near Shreveport that I heard was under new ownership. Rumor was that they might have some bigger races. Don't know if anything will come of it or not.

They did have a division points race this year. Don't know about next year.

http://racetrrp.com/race-results/

On their facebook page they say the Stanfields test their Pro Stocker there. They live nearby. We use to see Greg and his dad, Howard, at the track in Hallsville, Texas. They were real nice folks. Mr. Howard would always come by and say hi and ask how our cars were running.

https://www.facebook.com/trrpdrag?ref=stream

Last edited by oldskool; 01-02-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

If your talking about Thunder Road at Gilliam, there is a points race scheduled for Sept 18/20 right now.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
If your talking about Thunder Road at Gilliam, there is a points race scheduled for Sept 18/20 right now.
Yeah, I see it on the NHRA schedule. But I don't see any sort of schedule for 2015 on the track site or Facebook page. Hope they are able to keep the track open. It's only about a 2 hour pull from me. Looks like last season they were mostly doing test & tune, and few bracket races and special events.

http://www.nhra.com/story/2014/11/15...-oil-schedule/

I'm just curious. Are there still a few tracks that run class cars on a regular basis ?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I don't know of a track running them on a regular basis.