Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Nitro drivers PO'd at WJ

Written by Bobby Bennett Thursday, 15 July 2010 08:08

Warren Johnson spoke in obvious frustration, directing his comments towards the NHRA for what he felt was a lack of equality in track preparation amongst the professional divisions.

Johnson, following a first round loss at the recently completed NHRA Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways [Kent, Wa.], pointed out in not so many words, the NHRA cared only about the nitro cars when it came to preparing a safe racing surface.

However, Johnson’s supporting argument, pointing out the lack of talent required to drive a nitro-burner has some of the nitro community not only angry but determined to challenge the veteran Pro Stock racer to back up his statements.

“Hell, Ray Charles could drive one of those things in his current state,” Johnson told ESPN pit reporter Gary Gerould.

Now a couple of those “Ray Charles” racers have offered up nitro cars to Johnson as a means of letting Johnson prove his point.

Jim Head, who has publicly responded to Johnson’s criticisms of the fuel classes in the past, says he will provide the car and even tune it if Johnson wants to do as he says, “A Ray Charles impersonation.”

“C’mon Warren, the car is here … anytime you’re ready – we’ll make this happen,” said Head. “This just frustrates me so much. I will tune the car and lucky for him, I can’t afford to burn the car up. So, he ought to be safe there – that’s his safety cushion, but if I had the money; I’d light him up pretty good so he could say what “Ray Charles” driving is all about.”

Head paused for a moment and added, “I’ll put the Ray Charles name over the window for him. I just don’t understand why he has to slam on us when we didn’t do anything to him. This time, he went too far. I’m sure everyone in the nitro pits will pitch in everything needed to make this happen from firesuit to nitro.”

Bob Tasca III, who has licensed in a Pro Stock car before headed to fuel racing, offers up his car as well but only if it becomes more of a complex challenge.

“I’m saying this, I will get in his car with my eyes closed, you can tape my eyes closed, and you can take my car and he can tape his eyes closed and see who makes it further,” Tasca said, voice raising with emotion.

And no, Tasca said, he’s not speaking just to be lashing out. He’s adamant with his challenge.

“If he wants to accept the challenge, we’ll get in each other’s car, and I’ve never driven a hunk of s*** GM in my life, but I’ll drive one and he can drive a Ford, eyes closed just to prove a point. I’m sick and tired of him talking s*** about the fuel car drivers. Consider this my challenge to a blindfold match.”

Head prefers his challenge be carried out with eyes wide-open.

“Hey this is just a friendly challenge from one senile old man to another,” Head concluded.

Go,Warren go.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 373 Times in 80 Posts
Default Re: Nitro drivers PO'd at WJ

WOW.........................
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
A100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lucille Lee, a secretary, jumps in a top fuel car and wins Atlanta. When was the last time a rookie racer jumped in a PS and even qualified let alone won something.
A100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A100 View Post
Lucille Lee, a secretary, jumps in a top fuel car and wins Atlanta. When was the last time a rookie racer jumped in a PS and even qualified let alone won something.
There ya go.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
John Leichtamer Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warren is twice the driver Head is.

Hammer
John Leichtamer Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Matt Ratliff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Leichtamer Jr View Post
Warren is twice the driver Head is.

Hammer
Is this not the WWF?
Matt Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Billy Pires

Liked 24 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
“I’m saying this, I will get in his car with my eyes closed, you can tape my eyes closed, and you can take my car and he can tape his eyes closed and see who makes it further,” Tasca said, voice raising with emotion.

And no, Tasca said, he’s not speaking just to be lashing out. He’s adamant with his challenge.

“If he wants to accept the challenge, we’ll get in each other’s car, and I’ve never driven a hunk of s*** GM in my life, but I’ll drive one and he can drive a Ford, eyes closed just to prove a point. I’m sick and tired of him talking s*** about the fuel car drivers. Consider this my challenge to a blindfold match.”
there's no way anybody in a sane state of mind would ever consider this. Something tells me he got this idea from Force
Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I would put my money on WJ in the top fooler against any fooler driver in pro stocker.How many of those guys even have a clue about operating a Liberty,No offense to any body on here but when disscussion of clutchless trans came up in different threads very few stock super stock guys knew how they operated or what it takes to drive them,some may disagree but there are parts of clutchless trans that are harder than clutch versions.
Alot people think you turn clutch loose and yank shifter back and forth.
I have 99 % stick experience in my lifetime and I'm not sure I could make it to second gear in pro stock car for several passes.
I've been sick of fuel-top sportsman/dragster,Quick 8 being considered so skilled or smarter or "being the show" by people, fans that don't know anything for so long it's I don't know what words to use.
The alky dragster/funny require way more to drive than foolers do foolers are 95% crew
5% driver.
I say WJ has same view about driving fooler as I do I'm smart enough or maybe say not stupid enough to get in a fooler.why would any one with common sense even drive one of those things?
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,120 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pires View Post
there's no way anybody in a sane state of mind would ever consider this. Something tells me he got this idea from Force
I don't think Force is that big an idiot or fool.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

I drive a stick car and I know that the 1st time i let the clutch out on a pro stocker id be saying oooooooooooooooooooh s*&t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed Carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote