HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
cudadoug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

If a guy was goofy enough to try and run something OTHER THAN a 440-6bbl in a 69 Road Runner in Stock or SS, would the glass 6-bbl hood be legal?? The rule book doesn't say about it being original related to the engine combo just as long as it's "as originally produced". I think I've seen a few 70 Cuda shaker hoods on non-Hemi or 6-bbl stockers and I KNOW I have seen a pic of a SS 70 440-bbl Cuda in Div 1 a few years ago with an AAR hood. THAT didn't come that way...

Another question: Rulebook says nothing about SS cars trimming of rear wheelwells (I thought is used to say 2" front and rear...or something like that). My question is would "stretched" (approx 3") openings on a Duster be legal in SS? You HAVE to stretch them in a 66-67 Nova or 68-69 340 or 440 Dart to get a big tire in, right...??

Thanks in advance for your input!
cudadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

On the 70/71 Cuda shaker hoods, you can run a 340 single 4 bbr AVS
with the shaker hood.

It's my understanding that the 69-1/2 6 pkg hood is only legal for the
440-6 bbr.

I'm sure some else will chime in with more correct info for you.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The way I understand this rule after a long conversation with Bruce Bachelder is that if the hood in question was available from the factory in the year claimed and is "as per OEM" in construction; it's legal. Bruce gave me the impression that he didn't really like this ruling but it came from above. This was almost two years ago but the proliferation in "not really correct" hoods has been obvious since then and I haven't heard of any disqualifications. Remember; the year has to correct. I'd have an L-88 hood on Fred in about ten minutes if that weren't so. TT
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Turner View Post
The way I understand this rule after a long conversation with Bruce Bachelder is that if the hood in question was available from the factory in the year claimed and is "as per OEM" in construction; it's legal. Bruce gave me the impression that he didn't really like this ruling but it came from above. This was almost two years ago but the proliferation in "not really correct" hoods has been obvious since then and I haven't heard of any disqualifications. Remember; the year has to correct. I'd have an L-88 hood on Fred in about ten minutes if that weren't so. TT
Tom,
Are you saying I can run a L-88 hood on my 68 or 69 Vette?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
cudadoug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yea, I thought that If it was "year correct" it might be legal...or at least "not illegal" reading exactly what's in the rule book.

Which explains why a shaker is allowed on a 70 E-body 340, as it's was only available on 440-6bbl and Hemi cars.

Also explains the TA hood on a certain Red 383 Challenger...

Now, with regards to wheel openings, is this legal? They were stretched approx 3" and the lips are as originally produced...

Thanks again guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kensduster0001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1157  

Last edited by cudadoug; 07-27-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: attachent
Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,515 Times in 1,713 Posts

Nobody's going to measure them, if that's what you really want to know.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
cudadoug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Nobody's going to measure them, if that's what you really want to know.
Well Mark I didn't think they would, however in the Gen Regs it states that in Stock and SS the forward and rear edges may be trimmed 2", rerolled, blah blah blah...BUT in looking at other Dusters they appear to have done just that, retaining the overall original shape for the most part. These, being stretched in the middle aren't the OEM shape, although nicely done.

I'm going to send the pic to our Div and National Tech Directors and see if I can even get a reply...

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudadoug View Post
Yea, I thought that If it was "year correct" it might be legal...or at least "not illegal" reading exactly what's in the rule book.

Which explains why a shaker is allowed on a 70 E-body 340, as it's was only available on 440-6bbl and Hemi cars.

Now, with regards to wheel openings, is this legal? They were stretched approx 3" and the lips are as originally produced...

Thanks again guys!
In 1971 I ordered and raced a new 71 Challenger with a 383 (not a 440-6 pack or Hemi) with a shaker hood direct from the factory . The rules were a lot tighter back then. I dont believe NHRA will allow a 6 pack hood on a non 6 pack engine "road chicken"..
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudadoug View Post

Thanks again guys!
You can pick up just about any mopar book and learn which bodies and engines the shakers were available on (code N96 fresh air option). You can find why the T/A hood was not just a T/A engine option and why. If you were really lazy you could contact somebody like Galen Govier (?) and pay him for the information with a break down of production numbers by engine.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
plasticfantastic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
You can pick up just about any mopar book and learn which bodies and engines the shakers were available on (code N96 fresh air option). You can find why the T/A hood was not just a T/A engine option and why. If you were really lazy you could contact somebody like Galen Govier (?) and pay him for the information with a break down of production numbers by engine.

you'll pay him for the informtion, but you'll wait and wait for a long while to get the information...
plasticfantastic is offline   Reply With Quote