HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2024, 02:34 AM   #1
GTS340

Liked 1,074 Times in 335 Posts
Default Why is there no interest in all new combos

Being that I'm 67yr young. When I turned 18. I could buy a brand new 1973 Plymouth Duster with a good job. No matter what engine it came with. It had a class in stock class elimininator.With some handy work and a few performance parts. A helmet on my head. No matter which way it was facing. A NHRA membership. You were running in the big show. Hook the tow bar back on and head home a winner. (On a quick note. Show 100 18 yr olds today a 1973 Plymouth duster picture. "Name that Car!") But now when the 18yr old goes to buy a new car. Well, we have a class for the new 632 engine. Can I drive it to work? It is amazing to me NHRA is blind to this supject. Personally some might know I am/was building a 2014 Challenger. On my wallet size all work has to be done by myself in my 2 car garage. It was beyond the normal stock build. Paul Wong ask to get the same car's V6 in the books. They put the 5.7 in at 300hp. They offer putting the V6 in at factor rated 305. Hello!! I'm over the 8 second combos being added in stock for the well to do.One other note. In 1973 the stockers didn't do wheelies so don't say that what everyone likes.

Paul Haszlauer
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:28 AM   #2
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 415 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Why is there no interest in all new combos

18 year olds today ain't working full time, many ain't working at all and they ain't interested in a car, no mind buying a new car, hell many don't even have nor want a license so your self serving rant is flawed. IMO, the NHRA has been spot on with the introduction of the Big 3 factory stock eliminator cars. No one except old men get excited about a 69 Camaro today much less a 73 Plymouth Duster. Further, a 10 second street car is the equivalent of watching paint dry today much less watching a race car run that!

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-06-2024 at 07:43 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:55 PM   #3
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
18 year olds today ain't working full time, many ain't working at all and they ain't interested in a car, no mind buying a new car, hell many don't even have nor want a license so your self serving rant is flawed. IMO, the NHRA has been spot on with the introduction of the Big 3 factory stock eliminator cars. No one except old men get excited about a 69 Camaro today much less a 73 Plymouth Duster. Further, a 10 second street car is the equivalent of watching paint dry today much less watching a race car run that!
You’re fun 🙄
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:27 AM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 941 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Further, a 10 second street car is the equivalent of watching paint dry today much less watching a race car run that!
Yeah, pretty tough to match the awesomeness of an engine on a stick dragster, launch for a couple of tenths, fall on it`s face, idle for a couple of seconds, that start to accelerate once again. SOOOO Thrilling!
Old 01-10-2024, 08:39 AM   #5
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,116 Times in 776 Posts

Automotive dealerships are full of young men and women that are skilled car enthusiasts who perform their own repairs.
The issue is the cost for racing S/SS.

Last edited by Frank Castros; 01-10-2024 at 03:41 PM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-10-2024, 09:45 AM   #6
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts

S/SS racing is as expensive/inexpensive as an individual wants to make it. If someone can't afford the expense of a "top shelf" program yet doesn't want to race on a budget then that someone doesn't want to race all that bad.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:46 PM   #7
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,116 Times in 776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
S/SS racing is as expensive/inexpensive as an individual wants to make it. If someone can't afford the expense of a "top shelf" program yet doesn't want to race on a budget then that someone doesn't want to race all that bad.
Billy,
The young people I mentioned simply are not attracted to the "Dime Rockets" you race. There is nothing wrong with your choices, they just can't relate to them.
Frank
P.S., Your cars are butt ugly!
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:38 AM   #8
Rick J

Liked 49 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Yeah, pretty tough to match the awesomeness of an engine on a stick dragster, launch for a couple of tenths, fall on it`s face, idle for a couple of seconds, that start to accelerate once again. SOOOO Thrilling!
LOL

Last edited by Rick J; 01-10-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:00 PM   #9
Mike Gray

Liked 499 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
This is the reason I sold my super gas car to build a “slower” stocker. I’ll get the same enjoyment building and driving it as the super gas car but there is NO excitement watching that group of cars run. Super comp dragsters have to be the worst, at least the others look like cars. What really kills it is watching a group of top dragsters run how they should preform and it makes super comp look like a grown up version of jr. dragster.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:30 AM   #10
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 941 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
This is the reason I sold my super gas car to build a “slower” stocker. I’ll get the same enjoyment building and driving it as the super gas car but there is NO excitement watching that group of cars run. Super comp dragsters have to be the worst, at least the others look like cars. What really kills it is watching a group of top dragsters run how they should preform and it makes super comp look like a grown up version of jr. dragster.
So true, I did race Super Street (10.90) for a couple of years, over 30 years ago. That was before the cars were all doing the "launch, die, coast, then take off again" dance, back then guys either used a throttle stop in high gear, or by a mechanical throttle pedal stop bolt or shortened travel. And most of the Super street cars were going 120-130 MPH. After 1/2 dozen divisional and 2 National events, I realized that the .90 classes just weren`t for me. Don`t get me wrong, I have a number of friends that race in Super Gas and Super Street, and I can appreciate what is involved in getting the stop and timer dialed in to hit the number, but to me, the thought of spending money to delibaritly slow the car down just seems counterintuitive to a "race".