Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,927 Times in 1,563 Posts
Default Re: Class versus brackets winning a round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
I know my answer but if winning a round with a dial in is what is exciting and the costs are out of sight why maintain tech , rules and classes? BBC in a Chevy II or a Hemi gets there first and comes back to run second round. Are we making too much of Class rules and tech of motors?
Quickest SS/AH, Fastest T-Bolt, quickest Vette what % really care?
If anyone can compete with a DIal in is it time to just run em? no tech just no NO2. What % of overal racers care about making a rule based SS or S motor car?
Dick, I don't understand what it is that you are asking. A win is a win, they're all good, close ones, single ones, easy ones, ugly ones and heads-up ones. I don't have to go through my personal likes and dislikes again so let me just say that I like playing with strict rules and no money. I've always bracket raced my class cars and I've done fairly well. I like to win class but I'd rather win the eliminator and isn't that the real reason for being at a race?
Oh BTW, I've got the Worlds Fastest Stock Turbo Sunbird, NA Sunbird, Straight 6 Chevy and NA 301 Pontiac and all of that BS won't buy me a cup of coffee. Winning rounds and races will.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Stock - Super Stock is an addiction like it or not, quite possibly as strong as drugs, or gambling. Everyone has different levels of addiction and bank accounts has a affect on this issue. I currently am looking at running a points race and the Gators and that's about it only because I consider that an expense that would incur on any weekend getaaway. I use to run every Divisional and 3-4 Nationals but there is ZERO incentative for me to go out and make my car any faster to win maybe $200. It is a shame because I love class and the people who really try and work on their cars. The addiction is no longer what it once was and whether people realize it or not the same people who bitch none stop on here is just a natural reaction in their addiction withdrawls. See ya in the lanes, when I can.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Class versus brackets winning a round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daran Summerton View Post
Stock - Super Stock is an addiction like it or not, quite possibly as strong as drugs, or gambling. Everyone has different levels of addiction and bank accounts has a affect on this issue. I currently am looking at running a points race and the Gators and that's about it only because I consider that an expense that would incur on any weekend getaaway. I use to run every Divisional and 3-4 Nationals but there is ZERO incentative for me to go out and make my car any faster to win maybe $200. It is a shame because I love class and the people who really try and work on their cars. The addiction is no longer what it once was and whether people realize it or not the same people who bitch none stop on here is just a natural reaction in their addiction withdrawls. See ya in the lanes, when I can.
That about says it all.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
Tony Janes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I agree. Hit it right in the spot that hurts.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
Paul Wong

Liked 379 Times in 72 Posts

Stock and superstock are what they are for a reason. If you want to bracket race then there are places around every week to go to. You can put any engine in any car and have a good time and if it is too much of a pain to follow the rules or you cant stand the heads up game then go bracket racing. You can go around and tell everyone look how fast my 502 dressed as a 396 is for example. For the rest of us that enjoy bulding a vehicle within a set of rules let it be.
Paul Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 684 Times in 292 Posts

While I totally understand the argument that folks like Chip present that Class racing is just a glorified bracket race, it does not keep me from finding the little SuperStock racing I have been able to do and what I was able to do in the past much more satisfying that bracket racing. Heads up racing for class is yet in another league of its own way up there for me.

Of course it may be like another racer here that many of you know said when I told him that a based on improved performance an investment another racer had made in a car had been a wise one. The answer was "I don’t know if any investment in drag racing is a wise one"! Both racers are still spending big bucks racing Stock and SuperStock.

So I am a wanabe continuing to try and get an engine together that can at least run the index in the heat, but if anyone else wants to bracket race go for it, it’s certainly no easier to win.

Bill Lamb
IHRA 4340
NHRA TPD (Comp License transfer not quite as easy as it sounds)
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts

For me, nuthin beats the sound of a nasty stock or superstock engine, nuthin. Worth the effort ,right there.
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Hit the indexes another .80 and you'll still be bracket racing, just with less cars. Yippee.
They aren't bracket racers. They are CLASS racers... Apparently there is a difference...
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bill,
Compare apples to apples here.
There are stockers for sale all day long and the majority are $20,000 up for a 9 inch tire no-electronics race car.
A 9 inch tire bracket car is half that price.

Yes a 4.50-5.50 bracket car will cost you much more than that. I will give you that point in the argument.

Let me ask you a question. When you converted over to a BBC how much did that motor cost you? In fact I think you have one for sale don't you. I will bet you 75% of the no electronics cars around here cost less than your motor!!!
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #20
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
Bill,
Compare apples to apples here.
There are stockers for sale all day long and the majority are $20,000 up for a 9 inch tire no-electronics race car.
A 9 inch tire bracket car is half that price.

Yes a 4.50-5.50 bracket car will cost you much more than that. I will give you that point in the argument.

Let me ask you a question. When you converted over to a BBC how much did that motor cost you? In fact I think you have one for sale don't you. I will bet you 75% of the no electronics cars around here cost less than your motor!!!
What is a 4.50-5.50 car?