HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #71
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,492 Times in 1,708 Posts
Default Re: worst red light debate, again!

Jeff, That's about the best attempt I've seen at explaining this current situation.

In fact, if I was going to argue for the status quo, I'd do it this way :

I believe the outside world's view of drag racing to be quite simplistic.
I remember , back in my home town, the locals thought I had a pretty bad machine. I actually took it to the drags on Sunday. It was like a J/SA 63 Pontiac. I suppose they thought I had a pretty good chance of winning .That is, unless that guy Don Gartlits? showed up. Then I was screwed .
So, to the outsiders and casual fans, I suppose drag racing should be about going fast
or who goes the fastest. Therefore ,the rules should give an advantage to " who goes fast"
That's why Top Fuel pays more to win than Stock Eliminator.

But we all know ,our type of racing is a lot more complicated and sophisticated than that.
Some have suggested a way to make this one little discrepancy in the timing system more fair to all involved in handicap style racing. Some , I suppose are more "old school" where " fast is bad a**" and "money talks."
That's all fine. Someday it might be corrected anyway. I just hope nobody has a coronary over it.
Meanwhile times change. Remember, the 55 Chevy was the fastest Stocker when it was a new . Before that, the 50's Oldes and Hudsons. They're not even in the books anymore. How about he first 10 second stocker? Now how many are there?
So, what's "fast" today , won't be "fast" forever .
We're involved in electronically handicapped racing here . Being "fast" doesn't guarantee anything...and it shouldn't determine the fairness of the rules.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #72
tommy d

Liked 311 Times in 116 Posts

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #73
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

This topic gets brought up at least twice a year, if not more. This is the THIRD time since January the red light rule has been mentioned.

The dead horse is no longer beaten. It's been beaten, shot, stabbed, clubbed, poisoned, maimed, butchered, drowned, blown up, and buried.

Regardless of what your opinion of the matter is, this matter should be taken up in a petition, signed by willing participants, and sent to the powers that be at NHRA, IHRA, local bracket tracks, etc. They are the ones who could actually DO something about it. Crying about it on here a few times a year will neither accomplish, nor change, a thing. Send your input in. But please stop bringing it up on here.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #74
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Thank you Mike!! LOL
Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #75

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: worst red light debate, again!

what Mike said!!!
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #76
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Claude,if you bring up this subject again I will personally flatten the whole territory of Canada till it resembles the Bonneville salt flats.You woke up the Godzilla of Irrelevence
again.Thank you very much.
Ed, if you do flatten Canada, will you let me race on the flats? I promise never to bring it up again. You guys made this quite fun and entertaining, maybe not at the level of the James vs Jim discussion but fun to see the quality of the difference in opinion. thanks. Claude. p.s I did get my answer
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #77
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Ed, if you do flatten Canada, will you let me race on the flats? I promise never to bring it up again. You guys made this quite fun and entertaining, maybe not at the level of the James vs Jim discussion but fun to see the quality of the difference in opinion. thanks. Claude. p.s I did get my answer
Claude,you would have free entry,in light of the fact that you were the inspiration for the
construction in the first place.Any apartments up there for Dedman?I'm sure he could cure all of Canada's ills,given time.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #78
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Talking Re: worst red light debate, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
You are right Gary, Mac is a great guy! We taught him how to eat pizza at Leonardo's in Gainesville this year! Jim
L.M.A.O.!!! That was great Jim....
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #79
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
.Any apartments up there for Dedman?I'm sure he could cure all of Canada's ills,given time.
You flatter me...
Old 04-26-2011, 02:17 AM   #80
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
This topic gets brought up at least twice a year, if not more. This is the THIRD time since January the red light rule has been mentioned.

The dead horse is no longer beaten. It's been beaten, shot, stabbed, clubbed, poisoned, maimed, butchered, drowned, blown up, and buried.

Regardless of what your opinion of the matter is, this matter should be taken up in a petition, signed by willing participants, and sent to the powers that be at NHRA, IHRA, local bracket tracks, etc. They are the ones who could actually DO something about it. Crying about it on here a few times a year will neither accomplish, nor change, a thing. Send your input in. But please stop bringing it up on here.
The last two times it was discussed on this BB, I didn't initiate the discussion . But, the fact that more people (than just myself,) can understand why this needs to be changed, and would bring it up, means there is interest in it.

I like the petition idea.

It's hard for those open-minded individuals who discuss it on here, to understand the reluctance to this change, since its implementation would just remove the current system's built-in advantage for the faster-handicapped car, over the car in the other lane. The ONLY car not benefitting from this system would be a car that NEVER leaves first.... probably an AA/S car.

Tell me the downside to this.... anyone. If you can. You can leave out the cynicism, and belligerent rhetoric; Ed's already got that covered. It's his hedge agaist revealing that equality and fair play mean nothing to him; he relies on obfuscating the issues and writing an entertaining character assassination, with NO facts in it, to somehow retain his relevance on this BB (it doesn't work, but don't tell him... I enjoy the entertainment aspect,,,,)

Just tell me the downside of it; why it's a bad idea, realizing that when a rule (such as the first red light rule) condones a system that puts ANY car at a disadvantage, it's a bad rule and needs to be fixed.

Last edited by bill dedman; 04-26-2011 at 02:26 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote