HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
Eddie Rezac

Liked 61 Times in 6 Posts
Smile Re: Time to "hang em up"

Gary,
Sorry to hear you are "hang em up" but, I guess we all have to some day, But one thing you get to keep is the memories, friends, and such. Think of all the good times back at old Flight-land, Cornhusker, and good old Division Five. We had a lot of fun in those times. I loved gaining friends, and racing against you and all the others, over all these years, that is something that you will never forget.
Take care my friend,
Eddie Rezac
Eddie Rezac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 852 Times in 299 Posts
Default Re: Time to "hang em up"

Your decision will be joined by many Gary .. Looking at the pits, it not hard to figure out we all are racing on borrowed time, as they say .. There are tons of 60 plus year olds racing our classes . Most of us don't really belong in a race car , and some just drag it out to damn long .Its a habit, and habits of any kind are just that... We all know how hard it is to drag ourselves away from such a addictive sport . Keep us informed,

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 01-23-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
GSlaton

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

Its time for me to hang up as well. My son doesn't want me to race BUT as someone said its just something you can't get out of your system. I sold my Firebird about 10 years ago and thought I was done. I started looking at all the ads last year and wound up buying another Firebird. I thought I would just freshen it up and go racing, if it ran .60 under so be it, wrong. The car was much more of a mess than I originally thought and here I go again, throwing more money at it than I should. I hope to get it running in time for the first race of the year at Baton Rouge. The only thing that puts that in doubt is my lack of energy. I am 72 and the difference between now and 10 years ago is amazing and scary. I will get out there sometime this year and may not win a round but I will be out there with all my friends. I love this stuff and I am so looking forward to that first race.

Gary
GSlaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #14
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 684 Times in 266 Posts

Gary Slaton I'm right there with you. After 10 years off to take care of family I'm going to try again. Hope to see you out, sometime this year.
Ed Wright You can't quit. I haven't had a chance to kick your butt in a race & you sure haven't had the chance to kick mine. Looking forward to one more go around. got a few more obligations at my shop and then use what energy is left to get out there..
Old 01-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

I sold my car a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I have just as much fun hauling Andrew's car around and spending time with him. I can start drinking earlier and have no pressure at all. Get to see my friends and now only have one car to keep up.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
stage1scott

Liked 110 Times in 44 Posts

Thats a shame-however, your health needs have to take priority. As Greg Hill said above, it is possible to participate otherwise-he has his son, but I remember when I met the late Buick great Dave Benisek, about 1994, he was still owning/building cars and had local talented racers drive for him. First Chris Lee drove his car, then he had a lengthy and a very successful collaboration with Bruce Kent through a couple of cars. Try to see a different way if you can, and you always have Classracer to help keep you in touch. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,500 Times in 1,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
I sold my car a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I have just as much fun hauling Andrew's car around and spending time with him. I can start drinking earlier and have no pressure at all. Get to see my friends and now only have one car to keep up.
Works for me...so far
Old 01-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #18
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 473 Times in 176 Posts

Thanks for the kind responses. Eddie Rezac, yes we have fond memories of racing at Flightland, Cornhusker, Marion, and Sioux City. My first NHRA race was 1965..51 years ago. A memory that sticks with me is a Class trophy race with Dan Fletcher. I was .005 and left second..

I think the most difficult part of quitting is saying "it is over". The rest will be easy.

I'll be around and I have plenty to keep me busy with 11 Grandkids. Who knows, I might become a moonshiner!!!!

Race safe everyone.

Last edited by SStockDart; 01-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I met Eddie Rezak, I think at Omaha, in the early '70s? Had a fast Chevelle. Very friendly, neat guy. And we thought racing was expensive then. LOL