Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-29-2023, 11:43 PM   #11
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,494 Times in 1,709 Posts
Default Re: New guy with a Firewall Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@KYTP View Post
Thanks guys. There are a lot of parts on the car that were geared more towards the small tire game. The steering box, brakes, tubular upper/lower control arms and front coil overs all would have to come out. Same with the leaf sliders in the back.

I am definitely gonna reach out to the Divisional office for clarification. No need to chance that. Like I said. I will patch in the firewall if needed.

As far as combo goes. I must like spending Money. I’d be looking at a 396 4 speed combo. I have a massive amount to learn and a long ways to go. It would be cheaper/easier to buy a car done is what I have been told a hundred times. I have never taken the cheap or easy route on much of anything. No point in starting now.
Brakes? Maybe not.
That would be a 402 in a 70 appearing car. Otherwise you will have to change a few cosmetic items for a 69.
Your last paragraph says it all LOL
Old 08-30-2023, 12:36 AM   #12
Josh Jenkins

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Brakes? Maybe not.
That would be a 402 in a 70 appearing car. Otherwise you will have to change a few cosmetic items for a 69.
Your last paragraph says it all LOL
Yes it Does LOL. Have to dig through parts to see what I have engine wise.
Josh Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:22 AM   #13
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,661 Times in 526 Posts

101- buy a car already done
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-30-2023, 08:28 AM   #14
Josh Jenkins

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
101- buy a car already done
Wish I had the budget too.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:02 AM   #15
Josh Jenkins

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Well after a lot of research. I think I will finish this Nova. Sell it and look at buying a turn key car.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #16
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,626 Times in 383 Posts

The firewall is fine
I would know
Old 09-02-2023, 12:05 PM   #17
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,079 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Jenkins View Post
Well after a lot of research. I think I will finish this Nova. Sell it and look at buying a turn key car.

If you can finish the car, you're better off to finish the car as what you want to race. There's a huge advantage to knowing every detail about your car. By all means, get good advice on what to do, and what to buy.

However, I suggest you buy your engine and transmission. The learning curve there is steep and expensive, you can spend a ton of money trying to learn to build a Stock Eliminator engine and transmission, especially if your goal is to be reasonably competitive in heads up races and class eliminations.

One problem with buying a car is that you'll find yourself replacing a fair amount of stuff that you want to upgrade. We've done this, twice, and we bought two pretty decent cars. If you build your own, but also seek out advice from competitive racers, and spend some time at the track while you're building it, you can build the car you want, and buy parts one time. Of course, this assumes that you can build your own car, and you are able to purchase parts at reasonable prices. If you're paying for everything to be done, and buying parts at retail, then go find a competitive car, at least as competitive as your budget allows, and buy it.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #18
Josh Jenkins

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

You make a great point Alan.

I have spent the better part of 20 plus year building race cars. Mostly small tire Turbo and NA street/strip and grudge cars. I have no issue building the car. The Stock Eliminator Engine stuff is a whole new world. I like a challenge. I have been looking at the 1970 402 Big Block combo. Will definitely be a 4 speed car too.

I need to sit down and look at the current parts I can sell. See what kinda budget I am working with. Then start scrounging for parts. I am in no huge hurry. Just want to get back in the mix. Have the Car. Figure may as well.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:46 PM   #19
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,079 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:

I have spent the better part of 20 plus year building race cars. Mostly small tire Turbo and NA street/strip and grudge cars. I have no issue building the car. The Stock Eliminator Engine stuff is a whole new world. I like a challenge. I have been looking at the 1970 402 Big Block combo. Will definitely be a 4 speed car too.

I need to sit down and look at the current parts I can sell. See what kinda budget I am working with. Then start scrounging for parts. I am in no huge hurry. Just want to get back in the mix. Have the Car. Figure may as well.

Cool. Best of luck to you. Oh, that Perrone clown? Avoid him like the plague!

Just kidding. He's a good guy, and he's got a pretty stout ride.
Liked
Old 09-06-2023, 01:01 PM   #20
Henrys Toy

Liked 473 Times in 161 Posts
Smile Re: New guy with a Firewall Question

Quote:

Good afternoon Josh and to all,
Without going through a great deal of detail, on your choice of the 1969 396/375 verses a 1970 402/375 engine combination, I would tend to lean towards the 402 engine. Of course that's up to you, but given the choice that's the direction I would follow. Best of luck with your build.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked