Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #101
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts
Default Re: Project 66 Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces wild View Post
Paul great job on the car. It looks great. Did you buy or make the battery hold down and tray?
Thanks, Ed. I made it....it's a plastic tray from O'Reilly, some 3/8" allthread, nylock nuts, and 1/4"x1-1/4" flat bar. All scrap I had laying around except the tray, which cost me 5 bucks.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #102
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Paul, the car is comming along very nicely. I did see one thing that I just wanted to mention in the interest of safety. The battery hold down strap appears to be very close to contacting the positive connection, it may be just this view of it. When I fabricate components, I not only want the maximum performance of each system but, try to predict what the component will do with an impact from different angles (in a crash situation). It looks like if the battery was to move to the rear only slightly, It could contact the positive terminal. This could result from starting line shock from the hit, gear change, or hopefully not an on track incident. You know the "Murphy's Law" things usually only happen at the worst times....like the final! LOL Not being critical brother, just maybe see it from another angle. I'm gonna have my stuff on here shortly, and will appreciate any comments reguarding something I may have overlooked. Once again the car looks great!

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #103
Paul Merolla

Good eye, Wade, and thanks for the compliments. You are 100% correct. That's why there's no paint on that piece yet...I need to take it back off and grind a nice big crescent out of it for clearance at the terminal.
I hope you and everyone else here will let me know if you see anything else I'm screwing up, and call me on it. This is my first racecar and though I've learned a lot from a bunch of great people, I don't pretend to know everything.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #104
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Paul you can also run your strap accross the battery the short way (between the posts or 90 degrees from your present location) . Also some type of border around the base of the battery to minimize movement at the bottom by providing a pocket if you will that the battery would fit into snugly! LOL

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #105
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
Paul you can also run your strap accross the battery the short way (between the posts or 90 degrees from your present location) . Also some type of border around the base of the battery to minimize movement at the bottom by providing a pocket if you will that the battery would fit into snugly! LOL

Wade Mahaffey
I have always run my straps across the battery as you discribe, with the studs tight enough against the sides of the battery so it would not slide around. Usually short pieces of aluminium angle riveted to the trunk floor against each end so it can't slide that way. All thread rod, fiber lock nuts and aluminium strap from Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply, etc. I use 3/8" rod & nuts myself.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-27-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #106
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,234 Times in 252 Posts

We found some real nicealuminum square box tubing for the strap at Lowes. It is very light but strong. I agree, the strap acros the short side will eliminate interference and will be lighter and stronger.
Paul, the car is looking great! What is your target date for hitting the track? F stick?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #107
Paul Merolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
We found some real nicealuminum square box tubing for the strap at Lowes. It is very light but strong. I agree, the strap acros the short side will eliminate interference and will be lighter and stronger.
Paul, the car is looking great! What is your target date for hitting the track? F stick?
Thanks, Jim. I will be at Rolling Thunder on opening day! Come hell or high water. Can't wait!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #108
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

Paul - let me know if you need a hand with anything and I'll swing over.

Clark
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #109
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: Project 66 Nova

Paul,,, many years ago, on my stick shift '66 Nova SS, it was pointed out to me by another Chevy II racer, that the firewalls have some flex in them when the clutch is pushed in. Sure enough, I had a buddy sit in the car and move the clutch pedal and the master cylinder moved back and forth a little, which could cause missed shifts. We made a brace from the shock tower to the master cylinder.
I don't know if its still a problem, nowadays with the new clutch and transmission technology, but its something to check out. Just thinking out loud,,, thanks for bringing us along on your build.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #110
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
Paul,,, many years ago, on my stick shift '66 Nova SS, it was pointed out to me by another Chevy II racer, that the firewalls have some flex in them when the clutch is pushed in. Sure enough, I had a buddy sit in the car and move the clutch pedal and the master cylinder moved back and forth a little, which could cause missed shifts. We made a brace from the shock tower to the master cylinder.
I don't know if its still a problem, nowadays with the new clutch and transmission technology, but its something to check out. Just thinking out loud,,, thanks for bringing us along on your build.
Danny Durham
Oh yeah my firewall flexes when you push hard on the brake pedal. I'll have to look into your suggestion
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote