Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #101
goinbroke2

Liked 178 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Factory experimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I really don't get all of the crying about these cars. I have seen both the Challenger and the Mustang up close and don't see a problem with the construction. From what I understand the motor in the Mustangs is assembly line built. The biggest mistake that Ford made was setting the shipping weight so low. If the Mustangs run what you guys predict they won't be around long. The prototype Challengers that I have seen and read about all had a motor combination that won't be in the Stock packages, so without the classification information it is way too early to complain.

It really seems that you guys don't realize that there is a little bit of a Musclecar war going on. I'm sure that the guys racing '55 Chevrolet in the sixtiess had much the same to say when the Road Runner, etc. came out. The factories are finally trying to build cars that cater to what we do. This could bring some attention back to class racing. We really need to get with the program. As I said about the Mustang, things will work themselves out. Kind of like the LT1 deal. It just takes time.
If you said that before, it would of saved me all that typing! LOL!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #102
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I see valid points on both sides.....but here are some of the facts....

Roush was commissioned by Ford to assemble the cobra jets
These cars were developed by Ford
Roush was contracted to do the assembly on their assembly line
The engines are built at the Ford Romeo Engine Plant
Bottom Line...the cobra Jet is a Ford project...OEM
The project was overseen by NHRA from the beginning....

Rock Haas
Old 01-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #103
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Rock, that still doesn't mean they should be in stock eliminator. Stock has always consisted of production type cars. Even the copo or L 88 cars were production cars.

Greg
Old 01-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #104
DK FRAZIER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any news from Big Daddy on the Challenger ??? will it be ready for Bradenton???
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #105
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
Rock, that still doesn't mean they should be in stock eliminator. Stock has always consisted of production type cars. Even the copo or L 88 cars were production cars.

Greg
What about the Hurst Olds? Lots of people have raced those in the past. The 1968 455 cars come to mind.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #106
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Todd,
A friend saw one of these Mustangs at a shop and said it had a different rear set up and he wasn't just talking about the 9" Ford center section.

The Roush site also gives a list of After Market parts that it has for these cars. I'm not sure if all the parts are on these Mustangs but the list is eye popping; including carbon fiber front fenders that weigh 3.5 pounds each.

I believe Roush has this motor listed at 430 Horsepower on it's site but nhra sweetened it even further by rating it at 425.

Roush says this car has an After Market Powertrain. It is Supercharged and makes in excess of 700 Horsepower and yet it is rated at 425 Horsepower. Sounds like the body and the blue oval are the only factory parts on this car. No one has denied the Ford Executives claim for the Horsepower on this motor and yet I wonder how the Ford folks can justify such a gross calculation. Do they really want to come in and dominate a bunch of old cars that badly? It's going to get a lot tougher on Ford and nhra if these Mustangs are as fast as the ford Executives claim. What is so bad about running these cars in A/FX?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #107
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Gump,
The Hurst Olds was running against contemporary cars. Now we have a Supercharged, totally After Market car, slated to run against 40 year old cars with mostly 40 year old technology. There is no comparison between the two.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #108
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
The Hurst Olds was running against contemporary cars. Now we have a Supercharged, totally After Market car, slated to run against 40 year old cars with mostly 40 year old technology. There is no comparison between the two.
The definition of contemporary is "modern". You can't get much more modern than a 2008 Mustang or 2009 Challenger!

I really doubt that there is much 40 year old technology in any fast stocker these days.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #109
GUMP
VIP Member

Bruce,

Do you even have a dog in this hunt? I can only find your name associated with a J/SA 1972 Camaro. Do you own something that runs the upper classes too?

Daren
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #110
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Bruce,

Don't Confuse the Roush car with Ford's Cobra Jet.....They are 2 different vehicles.

The Cobra Jet has a 9 inch with a 3 link like the production cars.

again Roush only assembles the Cobra Jets....

Please check the classification guide on NHRA's site....that should help clear up the confusion...

Rock

Last edited by CBS; 01-17-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Closed Thread