Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #101
Lenny5160_v2

Liked 176 Times in 73 Posts
Default Re: Make Divisionals Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
We already have 3 classes of heads up racing in the .90 classes. Unfortunately the indexes are too slow for the technology that we have today. That is the reason i brought up the index change to make the racing seem more like actual heads up racing. It would still have a breakout just less time on the stop. Maybe rename those classes Heads Up Comp, Gas and street. Like I said earlier you have to give the spectators something exciting. Then maybe they will come back to the next event.
Is Super Comp more exciting than Super Street, because the cars are faster? No!

My Super Street car runs less than one second under the 10.90 index. It is still very apparent that this car launches and then goes on the throttle stop.

Lowering the indexes will do absolutely nothing to increase the spectator or participant appeal of these classes. Pros/Cons comparison of such a change would absolutely be upside-down.

Beyond the common folk not understanding breakout racing, all of the action is at the finish line and tracks don't usually accommodate finish line viewing.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:35 PM   #102
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,702 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160_v2 View Post
Is Super Comp more exciting than Super Street, because the cars are faster? No!

My Super Street car runs less than one second under the 10.90 index. It is still very apparent that this car launches and then goes on the throttle stop.

Lowering the indexes will do absolutely nothing to increase the spectator or participant appeal of these classes. Pros/Cons comparison of such a change would absolutely be upside-down.

Beyond the common folk not understanding breakout racing, all of the action is at the finish line and tracks don't usually accommodate finish line viewing.
I think you are misinterpreting my post. SC is for sure the most boring of the 3 classes. most people if you ask dont like the cars that leave the line and shut down like the .90 cars. One way to eliminate that is to outlaw the throttle stop. That is not going to happen. Another way is to lower the indexes to reduce the amount of time the cars are on the stop. Spectators come to a race to be entertained and not bored to tears. The indexes in the .90 classes have been the same since they were formed about 40 years ago. The .90 classes are the only ones that can improve drastically with the turn of a thumb wheel. I have friends that race in the .90 classes all of them are killing at least a second with the stop. This thread has mostly been about how to make our events more interesting to attract a larger spectator count. By doing that the tracks will make more money and keep the gates open and if we are real lucky maybe the purse could get raised a bit.
Those are just a couple of ideas that i have. Do you have any ideas or just leave things as they are?
Old 11-21-2023, 04:49 PM   #103
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 543 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Spectators come to a race to be entertained and not bored to tears.
again spectators as in non racers, non crew members, non family ain't ever coming to divisionals. Lowering the indexes is a different discussion and we're killing over 2 seconds.

Last edited by 1320racer; 11-21-2023 at 05:13 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:05 PM   #104
Lenny5160_v2

Liked 176 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
I think you are misinterpreting my post. SC is for sure the most boring of the 3 classes. most people if you ask dont like the cars that leave the line and shut down like the .90 cars. One way to eliminate that is to outlaw the throttle stop. That is not going to happen. Another way is to lower the indexes to reduce the amount of time the cars are on the stop. Spectators come to a race to be entertained and not bored to tears. The indexes in the .90 classes have been the same since they were formed about 40 years ago. The .90 classes are the only ones that can improve drastically with the turn of a thumb wheel. I have friends that race in the .90 classes all of them are killing at least a second with the stop. This thread has mostly been about how to make our events more interesting to attract a larger spectator count. By doing that the tracks will make more money and keep the gates open and if we are real lucky maybe the purse could get raised a bit.
Those are just a couple of ideas that i have. Do you have any ideas or just leave things as they are?
I understood your post just fine. If people don't like throttle stops, a reduction in the amount of time on the stop isn't going to make the difference between spectators coming or staying home. Both of my cars are on the stop for 1.5-2 seconds, which is much less than most. My cars are just as boring to watch as the others.

As to what casual spectators want to watch - if I have both of my cars out in my driveway or at a car show, the dragster gets WAY more attention from the everyday person. It's an actual race car. As racers, we know that dragsters are boring but don't assume the everyday common folk also think it.

As for how to attract spectators to a divisional - it's going to require a show. They aren't coming to watch us race, nor should they feel compelled to. It's not a spectator sport.
Liked
Old 11-21-2023, 05:10 PM   #105
1320racer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny5160_v2 View Post
as for how to attract spectators to a divisional - it's going to require a show. They aren't coming to watch us race, nor should they feel compelled to. It's not a spectator sport.
exactly!!
Old 11-21-2023, 08:02 PM   #106
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,740 Times in 551 Posts

Why are we concerned about bringing in spectators???? We pay a good amount to race. If nhra and track’s want more than what we pay then they need to step up and promote. They are laughing their asses off reading our divided arguments and personal agendas
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #107
tommy d

Liked 338 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
over 30 years of juniors have shown they won't with only a fraction still racing 5 years after they age out. That said, most class racers don't share your sentiment about them included in the divisionals.
Where did you get that figure? If the national average is anything like I see at our local tracks I'd say way more are staying.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:14 PM   #108
1320racer
VIP Member

and you'd be wrong
Old 11-22-2023, 12:33 AM   #109
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
Why are we concerned about bringing in spectators???? We pay a good amount to race. If nhra and track’s want more than what we pay then they need to step up and promote. They are laughing their asses off reading our divided arguments and personal agendas

Large crowds of spectators are where the money is, unless you have serious title sponsor money. Or serious vendor sponsor money.

Your membership dues license fees, and entry fees are a pittance compared to what they want for profit.
Liked
Old 11-22-2023, 12:59 AM   #110
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 322 Times in 118 Posts

if e can get the tracks to reduce the entry fees or allow for spectators attend for free. Do not allow any outside food or drink. They could make more of food sales. We could contact local car clubs and high schools. We should not sit on our touches and expect the local tracks lose money on holding divisionals.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote