HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #121
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Connecting Highway

Hi cammer, got your pm. Call me at 646 286 3030 before 5 pm.
FINESPLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #122
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

that pic gives me goose bumps. absolutely the best hooking track,lol, around.

there it is 100 ft. out. that must be the SK Dart. I'd love to see some more pics of that car. From what they tell me, they had an AMX next to race after selling that. Maybe the one from Westbury Rambler AMC. I will ask next week.

I'm a lot younger than most here probably at 45, but the memories of my era of frequenting there remain for me. We would back our hoopty up into the bush and wait, see many flat beds come and shut the road, warm ups, dry hop wheelies, man it was the best. We raced too but in the slow classes. Airport diner till sunrise sometimes to see a run. Then off to work,lol. there were literally flatbeds and trailers all over for a while then. I do prefer the big cars and mid sizes as opposed to the mustang era we are in now.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #123
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ok View Post
From what they tell me, they had an AMX next to race after selling that. Maybe the one from Westbury Rambler AMC. I will ask next week.
Yep, sure did.

Quote:
I do prefer the big cars and mid sizes as opposed to the mustang era we are in now.
Ditto!

M68

P.S. They're still in business: http://www.skspeed.com/
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #124
cammer427

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

S&K Speed had something to do with this Dart? That's the same shop the Mutt Bros purchased their '68 SS/B Dart from.
cammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #125
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

cammer427,
I do not think the Dart in that photo is the S & K Hemi Dart.
That looks like the 69' Dart, which was originally a 383 4-speed.
It has the GTS/Swinger hood.
A 440 was put in the car. 69' Darts (big-blocks) came equipped with a
383 (4 speed or automatic), or M-Code 440's with an automatic only.
Also, the rear in the car was from a wider B-Body (notice how wide
the axle sticks out).
Tell-tale sign,,, 'traction bars'. The Mopar guys all had Super/Stock
springs. Traction bars on an A-Body Mopar with a big-block would be
useless!!
More on the S & K/Mutt Brothers Dart..
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #126
cammer427

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
cammer427,
I do not think the Dart in that photo is the S & K Hemi Dart.
That looks like the 69' Dart, which was originally a 383 4-speed.
It has the GTS/Swinger hood.
A 440 was put in the car. 69' Darts (big-blocks) came equipped with a
383 (4 speed or automatic), or M-Code 440's with an automatic only.
Also, the rear in the car was from a wider B-Body (notice how wide
the axle sticks out).
Tell-tale sign,,, 'traction bars'. The Mopar guys all had Super/Stock
springs. Traction bars on an A-Body Mopar with a big-block would be
useless!!
More on the S & K/Mutt Brothers Dart..
Paul
Sorry, I just meant the Mutt Bros purchased their Dart from S&K, but I know the one in the photo isn't the same machine
Old 04-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #127
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammer427 View Post
Would you mind providing us with the specs of the Dart? Who was driving that race against "Froggy"? Did the Cross Bar Dart only race at 150th/S. Conduit? Art, FINESPLINE, was this a one run only race? Was the race a long time in the planning, or was it a spur of the moment deal?
We put Froggies car together with the Dart in mind. We ran it against a few other cars in the previous month. One was a 66 or 67 silver dodge charger. That took off and didn't pay up. Thats when Heavy and crew got involved. And got us the money the next week.
If I remember right the Dart had a small block and I know it was a 4 speed. It was quick and had made a lot of money on the street.
I believe that race was heads up. I remember telling Froggy to make sure the Dart left (when 2 cars pass the starter it was a race). To make sure we didn't show what we were capable of. He almost waited too long. There was a tape recorder (early data logger) in the Dart And you didn't hear Froggy till the very end of the race.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #128
cammer427

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It blows my mind how serious this whole business was. Art, did you and Heavy have a lot to do with each other? You mention him backing you guys a lot of times (putting up money). Did you approach Heavy about the guy in the silver Charger, or did he just find out and decide to get you guys the money back.

Even though the competition was pretty fierce and there could be a lot of bickering back and forth setting up a race, it sure seems there was a good level of respect amongst the parties involved. It seems most of you guys were real class acts, real professionals.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #129
cammer427

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
We put Froggies car together with the Dart in mind. We ran it against a few other cars in the previous month. One was a 66 or 67 silver dodge charger. That took off and didn't pay up. Thats when Heavy and crew got involved. And got us the money the next week.
If I remember right the Dart had a small block and I know it was a 4 speed. It was quick and had made a lot of money on the street.
I believe that race was heads up. I remember telling Froggy to make sure the Dart left (when 2 cars pass the starter it was a race). To make sure we didn't show what we were capable of. He almost waited too long. There was a tape recorder (early data logger) in the Dart And you didn't hear Froggy till the very end of the race.
Did Froggy own the Belvedere? Was it really a real A990 car, originally?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #130
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammer427 View Post
It blows my mind how serious this whole business was. Art, did you and Heavy have a lot to do with each other? You mention him backing you guys a lot of times (putting up money). Did you approach Heavy about the guy in the silver Charger, or did he just find out and decide to get you guys the money back.

Even though the competition was pretty fierce and there could be a lot of bickering back and forth setting up a race, it sure seems there was a good level of respect amongst the parties involved. It seems most of you guys were real class acts, real professionals.
We only knew Heavy from racing. He put up a lot of the side money. We could run someone for $1000 but there may have been $20,000 in side money. He never put up our part of the money. He and his guys got our money for principle/honor. We didn't really know him good enough to ask. We were working on getting to the guys that welched but Heavy beat us to it. And he was a lot more convincing.
With the arguing about spots etc. you would swear a race riot was going to breakout at any second. I can't count how many times I was called a "hymie jew boy" I called them things I won't repeat. And non of us were Jewish. LOL
But it was all business and nobody took it personal.