HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #121
D.Harvey32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Nothing in racing either NHRA or IHRA has been the same since I was a kid. It was fun back then and I couldn't wait for my time because I'd see everything come to play without a big pain in the wallet. Now all I hear is how unfair everything is. NHRA and IHRA are trying to push the 95% of wats the holding the organization together, away. In other words, the sportsman classes. We pay too much, using so little just to have a small gaurantee of a miniscule winning money. Pro classes dont' pay anything to enter an can walk away with abt $50,000 or $500,00, i forget. They dont even have to pay for much getting there because they have their big name sponsors. So many changes in the competition makes going to national events unapealing. I feel asheamed of how expensive the sport is getting and how much neglect the 95% of the organization is getting jus to try to increase the people in the stands.... ITS ACTUALLY PUSHING THEM AWAY by the way.......
D.Harvey32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #122
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

let me ramble for a bit here. in the 60's and 70's, when i raced a lot, it was really fun. for the most part you built your own stuff and brain power was king and cubic cash was second. class cars were the norm. if you were smarter than the next class car guy, you could win. in '67 mike and i ran a '56 in c/gas with a 4V 327 and were competitive with the hilborn cars [never won nothing] in '69, i had a J/S 4V '57 and could out run a 8V 57, because that guy had no clue what he was doing. friends would help anytime. nowadays everyboby buys what they need, every car is just like the next one. that goes for low class stockers to top fuel. everyone spends so much $ on their car, that they can't afford to help anyone with any tip, elsewise their competitor might beat them by part of a tenth. at the end of the day there are no friends. no friends no fun. the tracks cut down time trials to cut their labor time. no time trials, means every run is a gamble. make a move the wrong direction and you go home, early. money spent for no return. i remember day races which opened at 8:00AM and first round wasn't until 2:00PM. i remember the old Stardust strip in 'vegas would open at 6:00PM, first round was at 11:00. the temp was so nice. the new 'vegas track opens at 4:00PM, first round is at 7:00. there is 30 degrees temp change. how do you race like that? when you go to 'vegas there are 20 spectators. when PSCA races at vegas it costs $90.00 for the cheap class, for one day. the normal guy can't do that very often. next year income taxes will be going up, gas will be going up, gate fees will be going up, parts will be going up. the only thing which will be going down is a racers desire to go. NHRA has long lost care for the little guy, in favor of john force. i know it cost the normal strip owners a lot to do business. without them we can't race. however, until they become 'racer friendly', and help the racer, they won't get cars, no cars means no spectators. and spectators pay the money [which runs the business] , not race cars.
rod in AZ
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #123
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I $ don't $ remember why $ I $ quit $ racing...
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #124
Rich Erickson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even though I love drag racing! I would say it's $$$ - Unfortuantly, the cost to start up again is way to expen$ive. I make much more $$$ building engines for the local dirt track guys.
Rich Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #125
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts

Well,
In div 3 the weather has been horrible. How many guys said "screw it" after the Indy opener, when we were systematically disregarded on the run order in SuperStock? Then to be topped off by the "skidoo show". Why go?

Then, when the weather gets good its just in time for the slipidy slididy race. The starting line was horrible last year and it looks even worse this year. Did you see all the stick cars aborting q1 and q2? I cant believe there's even 50 cars there.

If you dont get two passes, one in the right and one in the left its not worth going in my opinion.

Stacy

Last edited by PONTIAC'S REVENGE; 07-11-2010 at 01:45 PM.
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #126
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC'S REVENGE View Post
Well,
In div 3 the weather has been horrible. How many guys said "screw it" after the Indy opener, when we were systematically disregarded on the run order in SuperStock? Then to be topped off by the "skidoo show". Why go?

Then, when the weather gets good its just in time for the slipidy slididy race. The starting line was horrible last year and it looks even worse this year. Did you see all the stick cars aborting q1 and q2? I cant believe there's even 50 cars there.

If you dont get two passes, one in the right and one in the left its not worth going in my opinion.

Stacy

Yeah but you guys STILL keep going. Does it feel good without KY.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #127
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Anybody else? Only 13 pages? Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #128
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,680 Times in 342 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

OK Jim - I'll jump in .......but I probably should have my head examined first as the hate mail will surely pour in .

Most of you are saying that you're not racing because of the NHRA ,IHRA ,track operators , track owners , track janitors and on and on .But the truth of the matter is none of those folks are the real reason for most of us.It's the economy - pure and simple and not one of those other people or organizations had anything to do with hurting the economy .Blame one of the Presidents or Congress or whomever but the fact remains that they made things what they are today .Want to know why you're not racing this weekend ?Just open up your checkbook and read the balance .Did the NHRA or any other racing organization get you laid off ? Did they keep your customers from buying your product or service--put the blame where it belongs .Because the track surface isn't perfect isn't the reason for not going back this weekend - its your wife saying you can't afford it two weeks in a row - man up and admit it -yeah, I know it hurts to admit your wife is right.One last thing -- things are not like they were in the 60's or 70's -- and they never will be no matter what the economy is -- they are times gone by -- good times for sure but gone by .There are a million reasons you can cite for not going to the track but only one holds water .

OK - now I'll jump off my soapbox and duck ..............Thanks Jim ! ! ! !
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #129
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts

Jack, you are my idle, nice of you to take the bullet.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #130
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

I agree with Rod, I wheeled and dealed to get a nice solid 66 Impala SS. It has a roll bar and rear has after market pieces and coil overs but still a 9" tire car. I am doing everything myself in my shed. I want to run 283/220 SS/NA and try to run 11.99 @ 3750 lbs. My budget on the engine is $2000

I have new Duffy's .065 over pistons
Fresh 10-10 cast crank
Fresh block .008 ptw with plate
Deano carb and 7546 weiand intake
I have roller lifters and hei dist with bronze gear
Stock 520 heads

I have priced eagle rods for $250, cam $250, rings $175. I will need oil pan and balance job so I won't have much left for valvetrain I'm afraid.

What do you recommend, how much hp will it take to run 11.99? Buying a motor would be the smartest thing to do, but I'm not to smart and could care less about records or class anymore cause it's worthless. The only thing I know about 283's is you have to turn em. When I ask people for ideas they all cost $20k need to call so and so noone works on cars anymore???
Daran Summerton is offline   Reply With Quote