Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #131
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Hey Joe
That was good of Jack hell of a good guy I mean it Jack.
Also hi Jim.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #132
Doug Blackley

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No kidding Dennis & Joe, I would never put in writing what Jack did. The wife would keep throwing it back at me forever LOL.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #133
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

You will race if you want to. If you don't want to, that's your business. I know I will be new to Super/Stock racing when I get this car done. I like many others, don't have a racing daddy, uncle, neighbor, somebody to help and/or support me! I have to find motivation from within myself. It seems that Super/Stock guys are of the mind set that "I can't race unless I'm fast" and that's why it cost alot of money. Plus you gotta have a stacker and a motor home or you can't race. I think the Super/Stock guys as well as others really mean, I can't afford to race the way I want to race. How can you expect to bring new blood to the sport when you sit idle. To me, you scale back and forge ahead. Reach down and find something to get excited about. I'm sorry to hear about you guys that have givin up. I'm not built that way. Hopefully you folks that still love it, will find their way back. I'm not ready yet, but I work towards it every day!

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #134
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
OK Jim - I'll jump in .......but I probably should have my head examined first as the hate mail will surely pour in .

Most of you are saying that you're not racing because of the NHRA ,IHRA ,track operators , track owners , track janitors and on and on .But the truth of the matter is none of those folks are the real reason for most of us.It's the economy - pure and simple and not one of those other people or organizations had anything to do with hurting the economy .Blame one of the Presidents or Congress or whomever but the fact remains that they made things what they are today .Want to know why you're not racing this weekend ?Just open up your checkbook and read the balance .Did the NHRA or any other racing organization get you laid off ? Did they keep your customers from buying your product or service--put the blame where it belongs .Because the track surface isn't perfect isn't the reason for not going back this weekend - its your wife saying you can't afford it two weeks in a row - man up and admit it -yeah, I know it hurts to admit your wife is right.One last thing -- things are not like they were in the 60's or 70's -- and they never will be no matter what the economy is -- they are times gone by -- good times for sure but gone by .There are a million reasons you can cite for not going to the track but only one holds water .

OK - now I'll jump off my soapbox and duck ..............Thanks Jim ! ! ! !
Damn fine post Jack!

Can't argue with much of it myself. Like alot of other guys on here, I don't have alot of money. The economy, yeah, I'm going on my third year without a raise, although I have worked plenty of OT. The occasional buck or two I can scavenge goes toward the cars.

I left the sport in 1988. Jumped back in 2008, real good timing there, LOL! Even better, decided in the midst of putting my old 66 Chevy II bracket car back together, I started piecing together an IHRA crate stocker. I'm trying to put "two" piles of parts together in a bad economy.

It'll be awhile before I make it back to a dragstrip. Just hope there are still a few around when I get a car done.

I'm with you guys on the go fast thinking for Stock/Super Stock. If I can get my crate stocker to run its index or under, that'll be fast enough to run the S/SS combos. That's what I'm really interested in doing.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #135
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,621 Times in 331 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Wink Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackley View Post
No kidding Dennis & Joe, I would never put in writing what Jack did. The wife would keep throwing it back at me forever LOL.
Doug - You're oh so right .........but early tomorrow morning as I'm headed out of the garage on my way to Columbus I'll still be able to hear her saying -- " I thought business was so bad and here you are again leaving for the weekend " .We all know what will be waiting for me when I get home Sunday night .........................I'm trying to do what every man would like -- die on the same day that I've spent my last dollar .Spend it now or leave it to somebody ............hmmmmmmm - no choice there .
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #136
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

Everyone Must Vote out the liberal lefties in Nov or we all will lose.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #137
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My current wife of 30 plus years told me to go live my dream. I've always wanted to get back into class racing since 1976, but Pablem and Pamper's were more important back in 74. (ex wife) I held on to the car as long as possible and raced it until 77. 12 Grandkid's later and Grandpa's ready to rock and roll again.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #138
MYRONARL1119

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard it said once that many racers have become moderatley wealthy racing---but they started with millions. I never had the millions to start with and must have spend what little I had getting to retirement. We have not had a social security riase this year, and probably not next year. And some of us seemed to have worked in postions that did not pay a pension or have retirement with them. Seems that once we ge to the positon in live when we have the time to race that we no longer seem to have that extra money to put into a combination to find that extra tenth. Maybe there is still hope if the powerball stays in business.
MYRONARL1119 is offline   Reply With Quote