HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #141
Mike Delahanty
VIP Member

Liked 242 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Live from the US Nationals INDY

A photo request Ken, Chris Mohring and others in the staging lanes today - how about some shots of the cooling equipment, chillers and icing tactics being used today for Class Eliminations.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #142
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 726 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I thought that the AFB Was around 475 CFM. Could be wrong.
Gary, I was wrong about that. The legal carb for those engines use a smaller secondary than the later engines. But it will flow around 540-565 in capable hands.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #143
Mike Delahanty
VIP Member

Liked 242 Times in 40 Posts

This just in from round 1 of Stock - Some downtime for a COPO engine issue and Roy Hill puts it on the bumper AGAIN - and this time kisses the wall !!!!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #144
Kevin McKenna

Liked 33 Times in 7 Posts

WOW, what a qualifying session. I hardly know where to begin.

Actually, any discussion about Stock at Indy should begin with Roy Hill. After yesterday's close call with Marty Buth, "Uncle Roy" outdid himself this morning. Another monster wheelstand that ended when his Cobra Jet brushed the wall near the 330-foot clocks. I haven't seen the car so I don't know how much damage was done but I can say that it had the potential to be much, much worse. Thankfully, as he was going right, the front end came down before he contacted the wall. At any rate, I'm sure you'll see some amazing photos because there are at least a dozen hard working media-types out there this morning. And yes, Roy does still operate a driving school so if you want to learn some of his techniques, I'm sure he's willing to share.

Mike Pustelny's luck went from bad to worse when he blew up an engine in his COPO Camaro. Mike wasn't in yesterday so I'm guessing he wanted to lean on it this morning. Unfortunately, the end result was a 15-minute clean-up.

Jason Line got it done with his Buick with a 10.369 on the 11.40 index. Obviously, he hasn't forgotten how to built a Stocker engine.

The Factory Stock guys are in full "index preservation" mode.
Chris Holbrook ran 8.59 at just 145, Kevin Skinner followed with an 8.55 at 141 and Clay Arnett joined in with an 8.60 at 140. Gonne be interesting to see what happens when these guys take the block out from under the gas pedal.

There was a great "side-by-side" race between Ellis Buth's Pinto and Chuck Watson's Cobra Jet. Watson broke about 100 feet out and coasted to the finish line. He was ahead for a long time before Buth passed him to win, 15.54 to 17.32. It was a great illustration of the difference in performance between the quickest and slowest cars in Stock

Finally, a personal observation. I've been coming here a long, long time and on Thursday's, the media center used to be a ghost town. Not anymore. There are at least a 18-20 people in here and most of them have a genuine interest in Stock and the Factory Stock Showdown. I've answered a lot of questions from writers/photographers who've been sent here to cover the event and it's refreshing to see the increasing interest in Sportsman racing.

more later...
Kevin McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #145
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna View Post

Actually, any discussion about Stock at Indy should begin with Roy Hill. After yesterday's close call with Marty Buth, "Uncle Roy" outdid himself this morning. Another monster wheelstand that ended when his Cobra Jet brushed the wall near the 330-foot clocks. I haven't seen the car so I don't know how much damage was done but I can say that it had the potential to be much, much worse. Thankfully, as he was going right, the front end came down before he contacted the wall. At any rate, I'm sure you'll see some amazing photos because there are at least a dozen hard working media-types out there this morning. And yes, Roy does still operate a driving school so if you want to learn some of his techniques, I'm sure he's willing to share.

Mike Pustelny's luck went from bad to worse when he blew up an engine in his COPO Camaro. Mike wasn't in yesterday so I'm guessing he wanted to lean on it this morning. Unfortunately, the end result was a 15-minute clean-up.

Jason Line got it done with his Buick with a 10.369 on the 11.40 index. Obviously, he hasn't forgotten how to built a Stocker engine.

Chris Holbrook ran 8.59 at just 145, Kevin Skinner followed with an 8.55 at 141 and Clay Arnett joined in with an 8.60 at 140. Gonne be interesting to see what happens when these guys take the block out from under the gas pedal.

There was a great "side-by-side" race between Ellis Buth's Pinto and Chuck Watson's Cobra Jet. Watson broke about 100 feet out and coasted to the finish line. He was ahead for a long time before Buth passed him to win, 15.54 to 17.32. It was a great illustration of the difference in performance between the quickest and slowest cars in Stock

Finally, a personal observation. I've been coming here a long, long time and on Thursday's, the media center used to be a ghost town. Not anymore. There are at least a 18-20 people in here and most of them have a genuine interest in Stock and the Factory Stock Showdown. I've answered a lot of questions from writers/photographers who've been sent here to cover the event and it's refreshing to see the increasing interest in Sportsman racing.

more later...
Ken you are showing off you literary skills .. very well done recap

Thanks

Ron
Old 09-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #146
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna View Post

more later...
Thanks for the updates Kevin !

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but a little more History was made at the US Nationals this morning.

The first 11 second pass was made this morning in Stock with a 4 cylinder engine.

( Marty Buth - N/SA __ 2.3 Ford Mustang @ 11.867 > 1.133 under ) # 19 qualifier

Last edited by ALMACK; 09-03-2015 at 10:18 AM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #147
ALMACK
VIP Member

Stock Q3 is up :

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCSt...er=30#indextop
Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #148
Paul Precht

Liked 242 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I thought that the AFB Was around 475 CFM. Could be wrong.
The one I checked on my bench flowed 566 cfm, these are the small AFBs without the weights. I have two of them and never checked the other.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #149
ALMACK
VIP Member

3 traditional Stockers in the top 20....so far.

Feel bad for Randall Campbell....2 h.p. hits in less than a week.
Double ouch.

Getting ready to call the Stockers back to the lanes right now.

Last edited by ALMACK; 09-03-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #150
RCM426

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question where is it on computer for video for Indy ....

Laid up all holiday from a trip to Hospital just got to stay down and relax

thanks
RCM426 is offline   Reply With Quote