HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #1841
bigsixman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
looks like all the rear half inner sheetmetal/frame is missing in action. Time frame wise, & where the rear jack stands are I'd have to guess it was in the process of being back halved

liteweight
Daryl: This is your chevy buddy from Crookston. Was there any 68 hemi cudas or darts sold in Winnipeg? There was the cuda sold through Trenda Motors in Grand Forks, but I am not aware of any darts. I do remember 2 darts at the old Donnybrook dragway in Brainerd in 1968, but I believe that they came out of the Mpls area.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #1842
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

This you Jerry? How you doin bud?? & what's a Chebby guy like you all doing in this foreign territory?
To answer your question, no original hemi darts or barracuda's were sold new up here.
Only 2 original Darts came to all of Canada that I'm aware of
I was unaware of anything sold out of Grand Forks. Got any more info on that one?
you wouldn't happen to have some pictures of any of the old iron do you?

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #1843
bigsixman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

No, this is Craig. Trenda sold a hemi cuda to their service manager. It came in with the primered body and the gel coated clip. One of the owens corning door windows was broke and it took forever to get a replacement. It was purchased by Steve Selfeit (sp ?) and raced locally for a short time and then he got a job in Illinois for chevrolet. I talked to him about 10 years ago and he said that he raced it in the UDRA, but he did not cut the car up to be competitive. He sold the car back in the 70s. He is a friend of Wes Rydell and he was a big junior stock racer in the 60s along with a 66 belvidere I, post, automatic, SS/BA car that ran hard. I remember that his personal car was a 67 RT, maroon with a black vinyl top and interior with cragers. He really woke up the plymouth program at Trendas with his knowledge of what the street crowd wanted and what plymouth had available on the order forms.Later, he was a warrenty rep for chevrolet and one of his dealers was Fred Gibb Chevrolet in La Harpe, IL, the home of the ZL1 camaro.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #1844
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Hey Craig. Good to hear from you again. Jerry is from Crookston too isn't he? Way too many of you bow tie guys to keep track of.----heh,heh,heh
great story, thanx for sharing bud

Daryl
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #1845
jackarnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Hey Jack, did you happen to find a '68 Barracuda that you were talking about building a clone to your old car...I seen an old '68 383 Barracuda race car that someone was selling in Maryland a few weeks ago, less engine and had frame connectors & cage, think it was under $2500 or something like that, would have made a nice '68 Hemi clone.

H.M. I missed the add , If you have any info please contact me as to where I can find it. Looks like it could be a good starting point .
Thanks
Jack
jackarnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #1846
bigsixman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Liteweight: Jerry is from here too. Trenda sold a 69 white M code 440, auto cuda in 1969. I cannot remember if they sold any A12 cars, but there was 2 of them running around, but unsure of the selling dealer. The dodge dealer sold a 68 or 69 black hemi superbee with an automatic. My friend ordered it with a 4 spd and refused it when it came in with the auto. I went into the military in 1970, so I lost a couple of years and what was sold in the area. The most known hemi car in our area was the first 68 cuda of John Hagen...best looking too. There was a rumor that there was an original 68 hemi cuda in the area that had a 440 put into it. The fellow that told me that is sharp enough to know what he was looking at, but I was unable to run it down. This was in the early 80s and I was heavy into the chevy stuff at the time and never was able to uncover the story.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1847
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
looks like all the rear half inner sheetmetal/frame is missing in action. Time frame wise, & where the rear jack stands are I'd have to guess it was in the process of being back halved
From whence comest thou stupidity?

M68
Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #1848
mopar68
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsixman View Post
The dodge dealer sold a 68 or 69 black hemi superbee with an automatic. My friend ordered it with a 4 spd and refused it when it came in with the auto.
I don't blame the guy, I probably would've done the same. The 4-speed ruled back then and that Hurst shifter protruding through the trans tunnel was an icon. No bona fide hot street car had a slushbox in it. No way, Jose. HOWEVER, by todays standard, that would be a very desirable car especially if it had a white interior.

M68
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #1849
mopar68
VIP Member

(Rick Kent)

M68
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #1850
bigsixman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar68 View Post
I don't blame the guy, I probably would've done the same. The 4-speed ruled back then and that Hurst shifter protruding through the trans tunnel was an icon. No bona fide hot street car had a slushbox in it. No way, Jose. HOWEVER, by todays standard, that would be a very desirable car especially if it had a white interior.

M68
Mopar68: I agree with you 100% on the auto vs 4spd back in the day. The car came with a black bench with the auto on the column.