HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
BIGGG

Default Re: What class is my 98 LT1 FBird?

robert,when i bought that car new,it had an lt-1 in it-never was driven on the street,took it straight to the shop.i am going to run d and e this year. (biggg) merry christmas everyone and a fast new year
Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
Evan Smith

Liked 94 Times in 4 Posts

Unk,

Nothing personal, but I have tried rather hard to find any literature stating that the LT1 was used in 1998, and I can find nothing that states such garbage. Nor can I find anyone at GM to state this as fact. Funny how I, or any other GM-based magazine, never got any '98 press cars for magazine testing purposes with such engine, nor have any GM-based journalists who I've spoken to, ever seen one produced by GM at any show. In fact, I have asked the staff of GM High Tech Performance magazine (one of our titles that focuses soley on these cars) to look into this and they said it's impossible, as the LS1 requires changes to the a/c systems, electronics, ECU calibrations and wiring harness that would certainly require more than just an engine/body swap. There would be changes to the cold-air package on Ram Air or SS models requiring the air box to seal to the new hood and I doubt GM would do this for a small run of cars.

This tactic was used by GM simply because LS1 engines were not available to give out to racers and GM wanted the new body style to be run in competition. Remember, Manufactuer points are awarded in Stock and SS. I was deeply involved with a certain Pontiac project Firebird that received the new body work as an upgrade from GM, however, we didn't get a new engine because there were no to hand out due to every available engine being used for production vehicles. It's that simple.

On a similar note, I'm tired of Hawk getting crap for his combination (which has been in the book for years) when there are blatant and very bogus combinations of hoods, engines and other parts that never came on other make cars. No one can prove that the '67 Shelby had one, two or three four barrel carbs, but I'm quite sure there are plenty of Chevy and Mopar vehicles with ram air or fresh-air hoods that never had them. There is a variety of Stockers using wrong-year hoods with scoops just because they have been accepted for years by NHRA, yet Hawk is always the hot topic. Let's point out some of the cars that are ill-equipped, eh?

Evan

Last edited by Evan Smith; 12-13-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Evan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,667 Times in 340 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Wink Re: What class is my 98 LT1 FBird?

Evan--I have to agree with you 100% on this one . As you know , I too was involved with a Firebird during the 97-98 season and was also sent the parts to transform my 97 Formula ILE Ram Air into a 98 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air car except when the car was completed at the bodyshop I was told by the factory that there was a shortage of LS1 engines and I would have to use the LT1 until they became available . I think under the circumstances the manufacturer did their best to keep new cars (98 Firebirds) on the track in front of the buying public until the "correct" engines became available .

Robert--You may want to hold on to your stocker as despite of all the claims made here I've never seen one piece of documentation that shows an LT1 car was ever built as a 1998 . You could possibly have a collectors item on your hands if any of these claims can be verified .

As for Mr. Hawks car--good for him !!!!!!! This car has been in the NHRA classification guide forever and he had big enough kahonas to go ahead --spend big money and go where no one else tried .
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Robert Pare Racing

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Sure thing Jack .
Old 12-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Jack for those that did not read my post a while back. There was some 98 Firebirds up at the proving ground with LT1 engines, i know, i was there and saw them with my own eyes, There was 6 of them testing because i tried to get one, and i had to build my own!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Smith View Post
No one can prove that the '67 Shelby had one, two or three four barrel carbs, Evan
Could you provide just ONE piece of advertising literature that shows the '67 Shelbys were available with any other induction than dual quads ?? The Shelby Club Registrar in charge of 1967 Shelbys says they were NEVER MADE !! So can you prove him wrong ??? I mean surely you can dig up some advertisinf literature or a magazine road test or.........BACK UP YOUR STATEMENT !!!
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Wink Re: What class is my 98 LT1 FBird?

Woody--You very well might have seen six of them (98 Firebird LT1's) at the Proving Grounds but I never saw even one at a Pontiac dealer with a window sticker on it that said it came with anything but an LS1 engine ....................
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Jack,
That picture you have of your new GTO is exceptional. There is that glow off of a cloud or burnout in the background and the other lighting on the right side panel that give it a look like it was a studio shot with auxillary lighting. Then the silver car color has a perfect contrast against the track. Evan's more on this than I, what do you think Evan? I think if it blows up good you should enter it in the state fair or some other venue with a photo contest.
So what is it going to stay that color or do you have a new scheme in mind?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Robert...this is why I sold my stocker in favor of another dragster. It is very unlikely anyone will say to me "Rich, your car is bogus, cause they never built a 2004 RaceTech with a 522 and a Terminator" OR....Your HP factor is way to low ....OR....your valve job is illegal, er ahhh wait a minute maybe it's ok we have to just wait on that a few weeks.......RIGHT......
Old 12-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #20
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Cool Re: What class is my 98 LT1 FBird?

Jeff--I absolutely hate silver--that being said very shortly Ryan Korek (of Korek Designs) is going to put some multi color Candies on Chieftain x...............Very nice shots taken at Atco Raceway by the extremely talented photog-Dave Milcarek--he does nice work..................How about that glow !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Evan---How about that State Fair deal ???????

PS--OK-OK- -Maybe not all silver-I do like it on my Mercedes !

Last edited by Jack Matyas; 12-13-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Just to add a PS .
Jack Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote