HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Todd Boyer

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

The '70 'Cuda Super Stocker belongs to Allan Dame of southern Maine. At an Epping NH. IHRA National event a few years back I asked him about the AAR hood and he told me that he had talked to NHRA and told them since '70 and '71 Challengers used the fiberglass T/A hood then he should be allowed to use the fiberglass AAR hood. Apparently they OKed it. I think Larry Hill uses an AAR hood on his '71 440-6 'Cuda Stocker as well.
Todd Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Dan Bennett

Liked 359 Times in 82 Posts

I'm fairly sure that Dave Hakim got the hoods legalized. I remember chinning him at Indy a few years back about the TA hood in particular. He told me then that Mopar had filed a letter with the NHRA regarding which cars were produced with the hood.

I'm not trying to throw rocks, but I think we have a few more paper cars than we usually talk about. I should mention that my first really competitive race car was a 70 340 Duster I bought new and that I was a diehard Mopar fan back then.

I did spend a few evenings in the Fenton B Body plant on unofficial tours with friends who worked there and have to admit it seemed like the build sheet was only a suggestion at times. I also remember seeing a black 340 Duster in 70 which carried black stripes, the only color available.

I guess I'm saying that sometimes the rules got followed to extremes and sometimes they were disregarded, but I never ever saw a TA hood on any car that didn't have the entire package.

I did try to run bigger tires on the back like a TA but never found a single tech guy who would buy it.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

It is my understanding that there was a letter from Chrysler having to
do with a shortage of parts (shaker hoods/scoops) and the AAR hoods
were substatuted in place for some short time period on the assy line.

It is that letter or rule that allows said red 383 challenger to run
the AAR fiberglass hood/scoop instead of the shaker hood/scoop.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Smile Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

The 440-6 only had the 6 pack hood, the 440-4 had two functional scoops, the e bodies came with shaker hoods 383/440. Sold a few. The trans am hood could have been because of a shortage. The shaker cars were hard to get. And the build sheets were only a suggestion, although the purist don't want to hear that. How about a 69 b body cop car, blue w/red interior. Nice.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

Hey Teuton how about Bucket seats in a wagon were they a special order item.
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Jeff Teuton, what is this worth, I saw this for sale in omaha, ne. 6 pack intake and carbs, air cleaner stock linkage; 10 month. 69 date code ,been in storage the last 25 years, he was asking $2500.00 Tom
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
plasticfantastic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
You can pick up just about any mopar book and learn which bodies and engines the shakers were available on (code N96 fresh air option). You can find why the T/A hood was not just a T/A engine option and why. If you were really lazy you could contact somebody like Galen Govier (?) and pay him for the information with a break down of production numbers by engine.

you'll pay him for the informtion, but you'll wait and wait for a long while to get the information...
plasticfantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
cudadoug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What I know about the shaker vs. TA hood deal was that there was a shaker shortage in 71. For a certain period of time, any 71 Chally that was ordered with a shaker, (which UNLIKE 1970 was available on the 340/383/440-4bbl/440-6-bbl or Hemi) it was subbed with a TA hood. Plymouth on the other had didn't seem to suffer the same shortage...

But that was 1971. In 1970, the shaker wasn't available on anything but the 440-6bbl and Hemi cars, so where is the justification that a 70 'Cuda with a shaker-ed 340 or 383 is legal? Or a TA hood on a 70 383 Chally?? Because it was available for the MODEL and YEAR?? Regardless of the motor? So if that logic is applied accross the board, the 6-bbl glass hood should be "legal" on a 69 383 Roadrunner, as it was available for the MODEL and YEAR.

The same argument could be had for the glass hood on a 390 Fairlane I would guess...or for that matter the Dart Hemi hood should be legal on a 340 or 383 68 Dart...
cudadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #19
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Tom, that might be high. Every piece is still available. As far as the 68 with the Hemi scoop, the 383 we run (and everyone else) was available with fresh air pkg in b and e bodies. So whats the problem? If we didn't have to change the fenders and hood back to metal, we would probably do away with the scoop anyway.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudadoug View Post
What I know about the shaker vs. TA hood deal was that there was a shaker shortage in 71. For a certain period of time, any 71 Chally that was ordered with a shaker, (which UNLIKE 1970 was available on the 340/383/440-4bbl/440-6-bbl or Hemi) it was subbed with a TA hood. Plymouth on the other had didn't seem to suffer the same shortage...

But that was 1971. In 1970, the shaker wasn't available on anything but the 440-6bbl and Hemi cars, so where is the justification that a 70 'Cuda with a shaker-ed 340 or 383 is legal? Or a TA hood on a 70 383 Chally?? Because it was available for the MODEL and YEAR?? Regardless of the motor? So if that logic is applied accross the board, the 6-bbl glass hood should be "legal" on a 69 383 Roadrunner, as it was available for the MODEL and YEAR.

The same argument could be had for the glass hood on a 390 Fairlane I would guess...or for that matter the Dart Hemi hood should be legal on a 340 or 383 68 Dart...

If what you say is true about shakers then explain the 1970 Cuda that I ordered and received with a 340, shaker and 4-speed. According to the dealer order form at the time the shaker was available for the 340 and up.

PS never should have gotten rid of it.