HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: 1968 Dodge Super Bee

Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Re: 1968 Dodge Super Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Mr. Moose,

I'll check.

I don't think the 1968 Coronet, Model 440 or Coronet 500
were available with a Magnum 440/375 HP engine.

Only the 383 and/or 426 Hemi as the performance engine options.

Unless, it was 'Police Interceptor'

The 440 engine was reserved for the 1968 Dodge R/T and Plymouth GTX.
I've got my own '68 Dodge R/T story,, so here goes:
In June of '71, I'm a HS senior on my last day of school, and I couldn't get my 6 cyl '64 Malibu to start that morning, so I'm getting a little panicky. Now my dad was an officer in the company credit union at that time, and he'd repossess cars from CU members who got behind in their payments,,, So,,, sitting along side our house was a beautiful '68 R/T, 440-Torqueflite, in metallic green and Magnum 500s and red line tires! Now time was running out and I had to get to school, since we had early let out and had to be at graduation rehersal across town at 11:00am. I begged and pleaded with my mom about using the Dodge since she didn't drive and no one was around for me to bum a ride from,, dad was already at work. I still don't remember what I said to convince her, but reluctantly, she got me the keys. After a morning of saying goodbye to teachers and underclassman friends, and getting yearbooks signed, we were released around 10:00 am. I promptly pulled out in front of the school, found the perfect spot in front of the students sitting on the outside railings, and powerbraked that thing until I couldn't see the building anymore, before I let off the brake pedal and sped away.
After graduation rehersal I had to go back and see the tire marks, and it was there that I ran into a buddy and his '63 Impala, 327/glide combo. We played a little cat & mouse for a few blocks until we got to a clear opening on the avenue heading back home. Well, we went at it several times and the Impala was no match for me, and soon we came up on a stoplight thats going red so, I stopped for one more go, and he decides to lock up his brakes and slide up next to me. That made a lot of noise, so I looked around and sure enough there were 2 cops eating lunch in their patrol car half a block away! I told my buddy to go right and I'd go left when the light changed,, so we did and guess which way they came. You guessed it,,, I just pulled over and waited, I wasn't going to try to run. Of course, he asked for "license and registration, please", to which I told him I didn't have a registration. Things got real serious about then,, and I explained that it was a credit union repo,, which he didn't believe. I told him to call my mom who was few blocks away,, which he did and then proceeded to follow me home,, I still can see my mom standing on the porch, arms folded, with that look we've all seen, but wish we hadn't, as I idled into the driveway and parked my chariot while the officer gave her an earfull. When it was my turn to face the music,, of course she said that feared sentence,, "Wait til your dad gets home!"
I don't recall what happened after that,, but I remember the fun I had for a few hours one day behind the wheel of a 1968 Dodge R/T,,, which didn't stay at our house much longer after that episode.
Danny Durham

Last edited by Geerhead55; 12-01-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
wv_bob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Moose,

Fleet Order Only, 'special order' could get you a 440 Magnum in the,

* Dodge Coronet Deluxe
That'd be a low line post car - do your documents limit it to 2 door or 4? I suspect any ordered would be a 4-door cop or military car but would like to be wrong!
wv_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
Jack Parris

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
I've got my own '68 Dodge R/T story,, so here goes:
In June of '71, I'm a HS senior on my last day of school, and I couldn't get my 6 cyl '64 Malibu to start that morning, so I'm getting a little panicky. Now my dad was an officer in the company credit union at that time, and he'd repossess cars from CU members who got behind in their payments,,, So,,, sitting along side our house was a beautiful '68 R/T, 440-Torqueflite, in metallic green and Magnum 500s and red line tires! Now time was running out and I had to get to school, since we had early let out and had to be at graduation rehersal across town at 11:00am. I begged and pleaded with my mom about using the Dodge since she didn't drive and no one was around for me to bum a ride from,, dad was already at work. I still don't remember what I said to convince her, but reluctantly, she got me the keys. After a morning of saying goodbye to teachers and underclassman friends, and getting yearbooks signed, we were released around 10:00 am. I promptly pulled out in front of the school, found the perfect spot in front of the students sitting on the outside railings, and powerbraked that thing until I couldn't see the building anymore, before I let off the brake pedal and sped away.
After graduation rehersal I had to go back and see the tire marks, and it was there that I ran into a buddy and his '63 Impala, 327/glide combo. We played a little cat & mouse for a few blocks until we got to a clear opening on the avenue heading back home. Well, we went at it several times and the Impala was no match for me, and soon we came up on a stoplight thats going red so, I stopped for one more go, and he decides to lock up his brakes and slide up next to me. That made a lot of noise, so I looked around and sure enough there were 2 cops eating lunch in their patrol car half a block away! I told my buddy to go right and I'd go left when the light changed,, so we did and guess which way they came. You guessed it,,, I just pulled over and waited, I wasn't going to try to run. Of course, he asked for "license and registration, please", to which I told him I didn't have a registration. Things got real serious about then,, and I explained that it was a credit union repo,, which he didn't believe. I told him to call my mom who was few blocks away,, which he did and then proceeded to follow me home,, I still can see my mom standing on the porch, arms folded, with that look we've all seen, but wish we hadn't, as I idled into the driveway and parked my chariot while the officer gave her an earfull. When it was my turn to face the music,, of course she said that feared sentence,, "Wait til your dad gets home!"
I don't recall what happened after that,, but I remember the fun I had for a few hours one day behind the wheel of a 1968 Dodge R/T,,, which didn't stay at our house much longer after that episode.
Danny Durham
Hey Danny, that's a great story, I didn't know you had any Mopar blood in you, ha ha!
Jack Parris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Yeah, Jack, I admit I've got a little bit flowing in there. If you get a chance, dig up the old Road Runner thread on here,,, I've got another story in there.
Of course, I could always tell the one about going north on I-5 in a blur, while riding shotgun in a Plum Crazy Hemi Challenger, but wait,, you already know that story!
Danny Durham
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post

Put a red interior in this and it is the twin to one the Dodge dealer in my hometown sold new. A Hemi, 4 speed post Super Bee.
Saw it around for a few months and it just disappeared. Never knew what happened to it. Owner had it jacked up and on some tall shackles. Big old cut outs hanging underneath. Those were the days.....
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mr Durham , don't believe your story I'm sure the Chevelle started fine. lol ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Danny,

If you drove by the 'cops' eating lunch, and punched it. Once those
secondaries on the AVS Carb opened up, it would have sucked
the 'donuts' right out of their hands.

'Unsilenced Air Cleaners'...........
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj310 View Post
Mr Durham , don't believe your story I'm sure the Chevelle started fine. lol ---Trevor
Thats my story,,, and I'm sticking to it!
Danny Durham