Originally Posted by Barry Polley View Post
Just now, track is 137.
Holy Sheep**** Batman!
Pete Lanciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #12
GTS340

Liked 1,132 Times in 359 Posts
Default Re: Sacramento N.O. ??

Nice job to Len and Debbie Schneider on their win of Sunday's race.

Paul Haszlauer
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #13
GrapeApe7575

Liked 337 Times in 73 Posts

Well I gotta tell you folks it was nowhere near perfect. The track was a challenge for many....not for me because I have about the same horsepower as a hair dryer so hook wasn't the problem. It was hot, dusty, and we were all frustrated by the presence of a large number of juniors.

The pits still suck at Sac....as they have for 50 years. Unfortunately, many if not most of the better pit spots were given to the juniors. Once again, I wound up in the dirt where I have been nearly every time I have raced Sac....mostly because I cannot seem to get there before race day.

All in all it was a tough weekend....but the racing was still awesome. Tony Hewes qualified #1 both days and laid down a .025 package to end our day on Saturday. I was driving like a complete idiot(although hampered by a bad converter) and actually won three rounds with lights >.100 only to drop to dead 2, dead 5, and dead8 in three consecutive rounds. As they all say I'd rather be lucky than good and I seemed to have that old wives tale tatooted on my head this race.

I was indeed disappointed with the facility since I had been told of a lot of improvements to the surface, timing, parking, etc.....none of which I was able to witness personally.
GrapeApe7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #14
Barry Polley

Liked 648 Times in 269 Posts

Mark, Great job as usual !

I was told they had new clocks etc but I did not hear they had pit upgrades.

How many records were set?

I did hear Mark Madison set the bar @ 9.48 in AA/SA That is a bad dude and congratulations.
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #15
GTS340

Liked 1,132 Times in 359 Posts

As they all say I'd rather be lucky than good and I seemed to have that old wives tale tattooed on my head this race.

Sounds Like "a bad day at the races beats a good day at work" comes into play as well Mark.

Fallon is this weekend coming. Looks to be in the 95 degree area there. I was hoping for cooler weather.

Paul Haszlauer
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #16
MoJo Risen

Liked 80 Times in 26 Posts

Thank you for your Honesty.

The Sac Is supposed to hold the SUMMIT ET Division 7 Finals there this year.

Many like myself will not stoop to their facilities level by participating at their events. We know the real problems with this facility and their lack of transparency.

Let's hope they open Fontana.

As far as the Junior Dragster, they need to go away. 16 years old is young enough for people to drag race. Why are we letting Junior Dragster ruin our experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe7575 View Post
Well I gotta tell you folks it was nowhere near perfect. The track was a challenge for many....not for me because I have about the same horsepower as a hair dryer so hook wasn't the problem. It was hot, dusty, and we were all frustrated by the presence of a large number of juniors.

The pits still suck at Sac....as they have for 50 years. Unfortunately, many if not most of the better pit spots were given to the juniors. Once again, I wound up in the dirt where I have been nearly every time I have raced Sac....mostly because I cannot seem to get there before race day.

All in all it was a tough weekend....but the racing was still awesome. Tony Hewes qualified #1 both days and laid down a .025 package to end our day on Saturday. I was driving like a complete idiot(although hampered by a bad converter) and actually won three rounds with lights >.100 only to drop to dead 2, dead 5, and dead8 in three consecutive rounds. As they all say I'd rather be lucky than good and I seemed to have that old wives tale tatooted on my head this race.

I was indeed disappointed with the facility since I had been told of a lot of improvements to the surface, timing, parking, etc.....none of which I was able to witness personally.

Last edited by MoJo Risen; 06-07-2021 at 08:20 PM.
MoJo Risen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:57 PM   #17
Jared Jordan

Liked 337 Times in 87 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

I’ve been there just about every year since 2014, save for this year. The reports aren’t surprising. Test day there is a complete waste of time. I’ve NEVER not spun. It’s always better when Paul takes over, but I won a round over Dennis Paz’s SS/MA El Camino in 2014 on the way to the final because he knocked the tires off. If there’s an SS car in the country that should never spin, it’s that one. Big tire.

This year Stk/SS got enhanced into being way down the run order. The only classes on the property that can set a national record were pushed behind all the classes that can’t. To top that off, not even a qualifying sheet was posted. Nevermind being able to find out results from a distance.

The facilities are what they are. Been that way since I started going there when I was a kid.

Last edited by Jared Jordan; 06-09-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Jared Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
GrapeApe7575

There were indeed a couple things to chuckle about at this event making a tough day seem just a shade more interesting:

1. A racer forgot to turn off his BBQ grill and it caught on fire in the middle of the night. I had never actually seen a propane can burst into flames until this fiasco started. The flames were causing melting droplets of plastic to ignite both the dry grass and the fake astroturf he had under the grill. The real scary part was that my truck was parked near them and I had about 8 cans of VP C11 in the back seat. What a rocket ship that would have created!!

2. There were very few reports of qualifying or eliminations including the finals. We learned of the results on Facebook from Jared Jordan and Pete Lanciers who were not at the race....but sitting on a beach in Maui. Some part of me just thought that was hilarious!

3. My final thought is....regardless of the conditions at the facility the racers still performed as racers do. The good ones were still very good....the rest of us who contributed to the kitty.....well, you're welcome!
Old 06-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #19
JohnRoderick

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

After a year and a half away from racing due to a new baby and job, it was nice to be at the track racing again and I had fun. Was it hot, yes. Was it challenging, yes. However, what do you expect from the Central Valley this time of the year? Great job by the winner of both races, they earned it!

While others want to bash the track and conditions. I will focus on the positive.

1. I was paid on the spot. I was handed a check right before I left the track. I once waited 3 years to get paid by Fontana, so IMO this is the right way to run a race.
2. They handled a double well. I liked the pro laddering on the second day to mix up the first round match ups. There was a decent car count and I have seen double races turn into a disaster with racing after midnight.

Yes, there were a ton of jr. drasters (basically probably as many as all the other class combined), but I find it comical that people complain that drag racing is slowly dying, yet want to bash the jrs for their participation numbers. With what seemed liked as many participants as all the other classes combined, maybe they aren’t the problem…?

As for the pit conditions, if a little dirt and heat can get you all worked up, then maybe a nail salon and spa are more your cup of tea. Let’s race!
JohnRoderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #20
GrapeApe7575

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoderick View Post
After a year and a half away from racing due to a new baby and job, it was nice to be at the track racing again and I had fun. Was it hot, yes. Was it challenging, yes. However, what do you expect from the Central Valley this time of the year? Great job by the winner of both races, they earned it!

While others want to bash the track and conditions. I will focus on the positive.

1. I was paid on the spot. I was handed a check right before I left the track. I once waited 3 years to get paid by Fontana, so IMO this is the right way to run a race.
2. They handled a double well. I liked the pro laddering on the second day to mix up the first round match ups. There was a decent car count and I have seen double races turn into a disaster with racing after midnight.

Yes, there were a ton of jr. drasters (basically probably as many as all the other class combined), but I find it comical that people complain that drag racing is slowly dying, yet want to bash the jrs for their participation numbers. With what seemed liked as many participants as all the other classes combined, maybe they aren’t the problem…?

As for the pit conditions, if a little dirt and heat can get you all worked up, then maybe a nail salon and spa are more your cup of tea. Let’s race!
Good for you John....focusing on the positive. But I don't think anybody was bashing the track or conditions....just reporting what we saw. Yes, the conditions were tough as evidenced by the number of cars that spun. The DA was great and a lot of folks were making good power. That combined with the lack of track prep made it a challenge for some to get hold of the surface.

While 38 cars was not horrible it was evident that a number of the cars(even some NorCal guys) within close proximity to the track chose to skip the race. Perhaps they already knew what conditions would be like and chose to avoid it.

I never really noticed how a little dirt and heat could get me worked up until you mentioned it. Now I'm all flustered, hot, and bothered and looking for a day spa where I can chill out and maybe get my nails done at the same time. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the reminder......but y'all have heard enough from me for now....it's time for another spot of tea from my favorite cup!

Give a big hug from me to your giant puppies!!!!!!