Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
lstanford

Liked 134 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Anyone race a 54-62 Corvette in Stock or S/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
I was wondering if there were any issues with the stock suspension/steering at speed. I have my own ideas as far as (Caster) and (Bump Steer) enhancements. Just wanted to hear from some folks that ran them with no alterations back in the day.
Sorry, I know this is boarder line tech, but it's hard to find old time Corvette guys over on the tech line.

Wade Mahaffey
What about Dick Moroso's car ? Raced by father and son.
lstanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Wade those Corvettes are kind of hard to get in and out of, especially with a roll bar.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
sammy pizzolato

Liked 56 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sammy pizzolato

wade i raced my 58 corvette for years it was stock springs front and rear with some lakewood traction bars. with a powerglide it ran 12 os and 11.99 @ 110 mph 0n 9 inch tires and drove great you should have no problems at all.
sammy pizzolato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
mrvrob63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wade, even though the original post is a few months old just wondering if you got the answers you were looking for? If not, pretty sure I can hook you up with somebody who has dealt with this recently. Shoot me a pm and ill give you a contact number.
mrvrob63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
Stick driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Wade: Ron McHugh
Raced a 61 SS/MA that I bought from Ed Ellison who was Ligenfelter's $ man in the days around 84-85. Will send you a picture. George Cox was thinking about buying the car from me when I had to sell it in divorce. Car was impossibly trick being that Ligenfelter had built it for Ellison-engine set back , some odd wheelbase anomalies, etc. Had an ATI trans-brake and it left like a stick car. Car flew when we finally stayed with the Rochester vs the Carter. (Both available in 61 (4GC vs. WCFB) It was a 283/230. Don't know why Chevy had changed the HP for 61 but it was basically same motor as 283/220 Power Pack. Went to the semi-finals around 85-86 with it at the Dutch Classic at Maple Grove.

Best memory of that race was one of the SS/BA Hemi cars trying to run me down after what was nearly a 4 second spot. Couldn't see him coming with the stupid little dash mirror but sure could hear him at about 112 MPH vs the 140 MPH closing speed.

Next time you are in Alexandria call me and will show you some pix. Never have figured out how to post here. Last I heard the car was still in Wisc. as a bracket car
Stick driver is offline   Reply With Quote