Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Marc LaBrecque

Liked 395 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Gas or Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mirza View Post
x2, Marc is the RV man. He may have a lead on something in your price range.
Hey Robert give me a call I'd be glad to try to steer you in the right direction. Barry's pretty spot on , but depending on your needs I'm sure there's something out there to make you very happy.
Marc
413-246-6608 cell
Marc LaBrecque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You should consider a bus conversion. They built to go miles. A lot better built then the stick and staple motor homes.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
Barnstorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a Born Free 21ft 460 Ford that pulls my 7000lb enclosed and gets 8 mpg but it fits in any parking lot. all power and 4000 gen works well for the drag strip. Also when my Grandkids come over the have a place to party when it sits. Big money saved at Costco.
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
strange1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in the southeast so the roads are, for the most, pretty flat. I would figure at most I would use it approximately 5000 miles per year. In the beginning I will be pulling an open trailer with a malibu wagon. However, I will be adding an enclosed trailer in the near future as well.

Thanks for the insight please continue.
Robert
Stk2061
strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
Tar Heel

If you're going to tow an enclosed trailer down the road you may want to reconsider going with a gas Class C. We bought a 33' Jayco that was like brand new with the Ford V10 and it's a very nice RV. Our set-up includes a very light race car and open Big Tex trailer (total package is under 5000 lbs.). Also, we just bracket race local so everything works well. However, after we purchased it I did some research online thinking that we may want to pick up an enclosed trailer and many folks are saying that with the long overhang behind the rear wheels you'll tear up the RV by using an enclosed trailer unless you have a trailer toad and/or beef up the suspension.

Also, aren't diesel repairs typically more (much more) expensive? I know that price of diesel around here now is crazy high.

Scott
Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 282 Times in 152 Posts

ALL motorhomes have their advantages and their drawbacks. Just comparing a gas vs. diesel RV the fuel milage you get from a diesel will probably be at least 50% better than any gas engine. So if you get 5-8 MPG maybe more with the diesel you can expect to get 3-5 maybe more with your gas RV. A diesel engine RV is usually put into a much beefier chassis,with a heavy duty suspension,driveline,brakes,cooling etc compared to a typical gas engine RV. Regardless of what you end up with make sure you have a BIG transmission cooler, get the biggest one you can get in there to make that trans live!!!

Not sure of what size trailer you will be using but remember that many states have Maximum Overall Length Restrictions regarding trailer and towing vehicle combinations. Many have the maximum length at around 65 feet so to keep inside of those dimensions you might find it kind of difficult to find a suitable RV regardless of engine type to handle your trailer especially if you have a trailer with a 28 foot box and a 4 foot drawbar you are 32 feet OAL for the trailer which leaves you 32 foot or less for the RV!. Just saying but maybe keep on looking and research it a bit more until you can find the "right MH" for your application.
There are several racers on here that are involved with RV dealers either as owners or employees and a few trailer dealer racers might just want to get their feedback on what to avoid or what to make sure you have on that RV. Also don't be afraid when at the track to ask others what they like or dislike about their particular rig ------my 2 cents FED387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #17
Jim Bailey

Liked 626 Times in 119 Posts
Cool Re: Gas or Diesel?

My C class has a V10. Lots of power, 8 mpg. One thing I would highly recommend - If you go with a C Class put $3,500.00 in your budget for a trailer toad. I wouldn't tow with out it. JB
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
Sean Marconette

Liked 174 Times in 62 Posts

I can't imagine going the Gas route. Diesel might be more at the pump, but the savings with getting better mileage and an engine built to pull loads is the only way to go. How many gas burners that pull loads do you hear about having over a 100,000 miles without needing engine work?
Good Luck

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Just my opinion. . .from what I have learned about the powerplants, construction of motorhomes, and the expense of getting a big coach repaired (not to mention the paucity of good technicians), if I were getting something now I would get a new Ram with Cummins pickup, a modest size 8' camper with no overhang, and a box trailer for protection and security of the race car. Not only are repairs of an old motorhome expensive, few know all the ins-and-outs of each model and year so they are learning on your dime. Then you have your expensive race car and yourself marooned in the middle of nowhere because you assumed a reliability that just isn't there. Sure, a camper is cramped quarters, but you don't plan to be in it 24/7.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 282 Times in 152 Posts

one thing I forgot to mention is are you handy? by this I mean can u do home repairs? --what you have here is basically a rolling home--- as it twists and turns and vibrates its way down the hiway things tend to loosen up-so you're gonna have leaks,rattles, electric that does not want to work etc.- like checking and tightening the plumbing fittings /electric connections /cabinet doors etc... You will need to know basic home maintainence stuff otherwise you're gonna be in the shop @ $100+ per hour fixing stuff---not all the time but periodically you hafta go over those things and just do preventative maintainence to make sure things don't break down--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote