Default Re: regarding my ??? about turbos

2000 7.3 Ford/IH powerstroke turbo diesel----Thanx guys
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Look at this site ask questions there. I think it could be an cold bypass problem.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 282 Times in 152 Posts

OK ---got to work on the truck over the weekend---took off the hose from the air filter to the inlet on the turbo and I can see where the impeller has been rubbing on the OUTER edge of the impeller probably on the inside of the case---now next question is is the case destroyed or can I just replace the impellar and install new bearings and be OK? I have not gone any further on removal/disassembly at this point waiting to see what I need to do next OR do I need to I swap out the WHOLE unit for a rebuilt one?--Have a guy/friend in my area that is a whiz with the V-6 BUICK GN cars does the whole hop up routine on them so I imagine a turbo is a turbo!!! If he can work on the Buick stuff a Ford should not be any problem- ---Really appreciate all the answers you guys have given me---Gonna talk to Ford see if they will help any seems they had a TSB(technical service bulletin ) a while back on the bolts loosening up and destroying the impellers maybe I can get them to cover some of the cost?( ya right) Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

A turbo spins over 100,000 rpm so it is precision balanced. Don't just try to replace bearings and hope you get the torque right on the impeller nut. Get a quality shop to rebuild the turbo. High Tech Turbo in Murray UT and BD Power in Abbotsford BC are two sources. Your compressor housing may be reusable if not badly worn. You will need a new wheel. Don't keep running it. If the turbo blows up, you will spend a long time cleaning out the pipes, intercooler, etc. and hopefully none of the shrapnel will make it all the way into the engine.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote