Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-02-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
B Parker

Liked 2,315 Times in 455 Posts
Default Re: Billet cams and lifter supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
If you want roller lifters, they are legal...in Super Stock.
Jim, Why didn't I think about that. So all you guys that have an older than 85 car and need a set of lifters that are going to last. Just put your cars in a car crusher. Maybe Jim will post his phone number and start giving away his money if you can't afford a Super Stocker.

Jeff V don't get me wrong I like the new cars in Stock but most are closer to comp motor's than old school Stockers. With your car you don't have to worry about them.

James Perrone I'd guess knowing your engine builder you already have a set of Tool Steel lifters in your car. What if you break and need to fix it?

Sam I'm not sure how many sets of roller lifters there are but with almost all race engine using them. I'm sure the supply has to be greater than flat tappet lifters. I used Schubecks for years with no problems. But we all know someone that has lost a motor with them. I offered my old set to a friend but his engine builder wouldn't use them.

Rich I'm sure we all agree with you. We can only hope for change in our Country. I sold my business at the beginning of the year because I'm done counting on employee's. But it still doesn't fix the problem.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #12
BG56

Liked 280 Times in 102 Posts

Ahhh, bidenflation and universal economic incompetence. Or is it intentional. Love him or hate him, TRUMP had USA revving on all cylinders. And even peace breaking out in the Middle East! Tuesday is Election Day. Are you 'satisfied' with the current condition or maybe start to get back to where we SHOULD BE?!
BG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #13
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich67stang View Post
I am sick and tired of listening to the excuse "Supply Chain Issues". It is 2022, two years removed from Covid. All these companies showcase @ SEMA and PRI products they cannot produce, "Do your damn Job or close your Doors". I run a Construction Co in NYC, We NEVER stopped during Covid Nor Delayed projects. Incompetent people with excuses.

I also work in the commercial construction world. Same here we never missed a day of work during covid. During that time all of the back stock was used up. Now we are having real supply chain issues. On the project I am working on now we had to wait a full year for the roof membrane. Now waiting for AC units that were ordered 8 months ago are still several months out for manufacture and delivery. The main electrical gear from Square D is over a year lead time. Waiting for an emergency generator from Cummins/Onan that has been on order for over a year and is 3 months overdue. Thats just a short list. concrete shortages. had a hard time getting 12 inch CMU. Insulated hurricane glass is a 6 month lead time. Then we had the hurricane about a month ago and the power company has paused all new construction projects while they ae in storm reconstruction mode . All of this is affecting our completion dates.

I can only imagine what these small high performance manufacturers are going through. I need to freshen my engine in the next several months to be ready for next year. Not sure if rings, valves and springs will be available. I guess i will find out here real soon. unfortunatly i dont see it improving any time soon.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #14
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

I guess the only solution I can think of to avoid this issue is to use a camshaft where you don't need a special set of lifters. I understand the benefits of a billet camshaft, along with the different pricy lifter options, but that's not really in my price range, so for now I make due with what I can afford. I actually found a small, family owned company out in California that sells flat tappet lifters made in the USA by Johnson Lifters. I've had very good luck with them even with my relatively square 6 cylinder camshaft profile, and plan to use them on my small block build this winter. Yes, billet cams are great, only if you can afford it along with the special lifters, even the cheap ones. It can be quite discouraging to even want to tackle building a stocker for a popular class with the knowledge that some of your competitors have cylinder heads on their engines that cost them about the same if not more than I am spending to build an entire engine. Though limited, there are combos in the guide you cannot physically get roller lifters for, so how would it be fair to allow roller lifters in all stockers? It's interesting to see how the same people that say "if you don't like that your combo doesn't accept aftermarket parts, choose a different combo" don't like being told "if you want roller lifters, either choose a roller lifter combination, or move to super stock." There's a lot of similarities with this as there are in allowing aftermarket heads for combos you "can't find head castings for anymore." If this does materialize, I would be more inclined to roll with it as long as there is an added hp if you decide to use roller lifters, but that could get a bit tedious to police. For now, I guess I'll see what I can do with a bit of "yesterday's technology" and hopefully be somewhat competitive. Plus there's a great deal of fun to be had in "scraping together" a stocker.

Last edited by Doug Hoven; 11-02-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Doug Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:11 PM   #15
SDT1DYI

Liked 396 Times in 126 Posts

There are some options if one does not want or can not afford to go the Tool steel/DCL lifter route.
Yes PPPC was saying lifter lead times were very long due to them having their machine down and they could not get it fixed. They could recondition lifters however .
I believe it is now repaired and running. I did get my set after 6 months wait .
Short of a Tool steel cam core, using P55 core and uncoated tool steel lifters will allow you to run 200-210 on the seat , 390 -400 over the nose. Only issue is you only get maybe 80-90 runs with it.
P 55 Cams are pretty cheap. You can get PPPC to polish the lifter face for 140.00 a set and a 1 week turnaround time.
Changing cams is a 3-4 hour job with a Comp 3 piece timing cover.
Certainly cost effect compared to TS/DCL 3 -4 K cost.
I just ordered a Total Seal ring set and spacers, Keith indicated 8 weeks.
Flat Tappet / Roller Cams in Stock debate, if they do every make this change, please NHRA
allow either or and 12 months advance notification of the change.

Steve Teeter Stk/SS 620.
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #16
john ancona

Liked 103 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDT1DYI View Post
There are some options if one does not want or can not afford to go the Tool steel/DCL lifter route.
Yes PPPC was saying lifter lead times were very long due to them having their machine down and they could not get it fixed. They could recondition lifters however .
I believe it is now repaired and running. I did get my set after 6 months wait .
Short of a Tool steel cam core, using P55 core and uncoated tool steel lifters will allow you to run 200-210 on the seat , 390 -400 over the nose. Only issue is you only get maybe 80-90 runs with it.
P 55 Cams are pretty cheap. You can get PPPC to polish the lifter face for 140.00 a set and a 1 week turnaround time.
Changing cams is a 3-4 hour job with a Comp 3 piece timing cover.
Certainly cost effect compared to TS/DCL 3 -4 K cost.
I just ordered a Total Seal ring set and spacers, Keith indicated 8 weeks.
Flat Tappet / Roller Cams in Stock debate, if they do every make this change, please NHRA
allow either or and 12 months advance notification of the change.

Steve Teeter Stk/SS 620.
Oh only a 6 months, it's now over a year now I have been waiting , so I did what all the (one more change to stock) Guy's are saying ,I built a Super stock engine to run in the mean time with the $ 650.00 dollar roller lifters while I wait for the what I think will be the $1400.00 to $ 2400.00 set . Lol
Old 11-02-2022, 07:42 PM   #17
Kingpen

Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts

Was told yesterday NO P55 cores and are not going to make anymore either,that’s at Bullet and they have/had a very good core inventory awhile back......
Kingpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:45 PM   #18
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

It is not only the automotive industry that is having supply chain issues.
I work for a supplier of military equipment and hardware for the Department of Defense.

We have a contract and are the sole supplier of all the fasteners that are used by the military on aircraft, ground vehicles and weapon systems for overhaul, repair and maintenance and have over 60K of SKU's we need to fulfill. We are talking of AN, MS, NAS fasteners such as bolts, screws, nuts, washers, rivets, etc...

Due to the supply chain issues for materials and many manufacturers closing, we have lead times on some items of 2 and 3 years! Also, the prices of many of the items we quoted , have increased in price as much as 60% from the original quote.

Yes, there is a supply chain issue in many ways for racing parts and also with the mergers, many companies have quit manufacturing many products.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:19 AM   #19
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,534 Times in 1,977 Posts

A simple but costly solution: Made In The USA
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #20
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts

How about this for a solution, get off your inflated egos and build slow, cheap combos that can be put together with E-Bay and salvage yard parts! In the end, we're all running for the same pathetic purse.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote