Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: LT1 Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442OLDS View Post
I would rather be allowed to use the Edelbrock heads like others are allowed to use,and the horsepower rating can stay the same.Thanks.
If you get the Edelborcks maybe you can persuade NHRA to let me have the Clifford head.

Thanx back
Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,117 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Belden View Post
As I understand it, GM built 173 LT-1 Nova's of which 170 went to Yenko and that an individual in Canada has 2 that didn't go to Yenko
I don't think NHRA will let Yenko cars in (meaning Yenko cars by themselves, not Yenko cars that are also COPO cars). NHRA does NOT look at Yenko cars like they do Shelby cars, even though they should be comparable.

Any idea what the COPO is for the 70 LT-1 Nova? Was the COPO number made available to the public, and not JUST Yenko (in the U.S.)?

I heard the other day that since there were supposedly some NASCAR Hemi cars that were not sold to the public that are allowed, they may let the 67 L-88 Corvette back in.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

I think that if they are going to allow Edelbrock heads on some cars, they should allow them on all cars Edelbrock makes a head for (so long as they are at least as close to production heads as the Edelbrocks that are allowed now are) for the same 10HP penalty, or close to it. If the Chevy and Ford big blocks have them, then the Olds, Pontiac, and Chrysler cars should get them as well, again, provided they are as close as those already allowed, and they carry at least the same 10HP.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
my69396

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

COPO 9010 with engine codes CTB or CTC. That is fron the GM COPO site. COPO for substitution for LT1 engine in 1970 nova.
my69396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my69396 View Post
COPO 9010 with engine codes CTB or CTC. That is fron the GM COPO site. COPO for substitution for LT1 engine in 1970 nova.
You will need GM to OFFICIALLY submit that to the guys at NHRA.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Conway Witten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Re: LT1 Nova

Alan,
I agree, as long as the replacement heads use the same factory length head bolts (which means that the head isn't thicker, thus the ports are at stock heights) this also means that the original push rods and rockers will work. If the stock intake will bolt up, they should be considered as a replacement head. Think about it, how cool would Yenko and Baldwin Motion cars be in Stock and Super Stock, the Shelbys added flavor and these could too. Think of it, somebody somewhere will try to run a turbo charged Covair? Kinky!

Last edited by Conway Witten; 09-14-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Conway Witten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway Witten View Post
Alan,
I agree, as long as the replacement heads use the same factory length head bolts (which means that the head isn't thicker, thus the ports are at stock heights) this also means that the original push rods and rockers will work. If the stock intake will bolt up, they should be considered as a replacement head. Think about it, how cool would Yenko and Baldwin Motion cars be in Stock and Super Stock, the Shelbys added flavor and these could too. Think of it, somebody somewhere will try to run a turbo charged Covair? Kinky!

If there ends up being a performance gain,the AHFS will take care of it.I'm guessing this thread started because of this........

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCSt...r=100#indextop
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway Witten View Post
Alan,
i just want my Callaway Twin Turbo Vette
Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
Conway Witten

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: LT1 Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
i just want my Callaway Twin Turbo Vette
Why not Chad, but how would they class it a AAAA/SA. Run on a 9.50 index! I like things better like this.
People need to remember the other end of the spectrum. NHRA in the 70's would check the serial number to make sure that the year car that you were claiming was in deed that real year. You couldn't take a 69 Nova and use it as a 68 or 70 Nova. They would make sure that you did NO cross breeding of parts, like radiators, leaf springs, door handles, grills or anything! Like it really mattered!
Conway Witten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

A good friend of mine bought a Yenko Deuce new. It was dark green with all the Yenko ID stuff on it. He installed some steep rear gears( maybe 5.38's) and slapper bars and headers. It ran 12.7's at E-Town driving it there !.....He blew it up with less than 5000miles on it and took it to Wallace Chevrolet in Linden NJ I think it was....they removed the engine and said it was NOT under warrantee. We picked the car up and the shortblock was in the trunk and was a mess. I installed a 302 Z/28 race engine from his '69 Z racecar (F/S) at the time. That Yenko was one of the most fun cars I ever drove around on the street for a few weeks....Pro Track 60 series tires and a 4 speed........I could get that car sideways anytime I wanted. I tried to race a few street squirrels with it but had no takers on that once they saw how the thing ran. The 302 ran 12.15 in the F/S Camaro!.....That friend owned some cars that would be worth a fortune today and that was one of my favorites that was sold for peanuts.......It would not make a good Stocker as the HP rating was 360 or 370 if I remember right....I also think they only made 4 speed cars...they were fast and great to drive on the street as all small block 4 speed cars were back then.....