HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
BRETV

Liked 624 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: 09 challenger

It took me over a year to get Ford to send NHRA the spec's to my 2003 Mustang Cobra and we have been in the Ford business for over 30 years. They told me the only person they care about in NHRA drag racing is John Force and that's where all their attention and $ are going . Ford point blank told me they could care less about the sportsman racers. I'm still waiting on my class win Ford check from 5 years ago. They did do a good thing with giving Evan Smith the Shelby, so maybe they are starting to see THE BIG PICTURE.

To Myron:

I have been messing with the 4.6 DOHC 32v motor in this Cobra and between having 4 chains, 4 cams, 32 valve springs and lifter's and it being wider from valve cover to valve cover than a Boss 429 or a 426 hemi it been a piece of cake YA RIGHT, it's been a hand full.

P.S. I just want to tell ya little story. The first night I ever went bracket racing was on a Sat. night about 1986, in Orlando and who do I get first round was this Mopar guy who dialed slow, caught me at the 1/8 and fender raced me to the finish line and wore me out and I think it was you.

Good luck in 08 guys!!
Bret Velde
3028 A/S 2003 Cobra
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,464 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETV View Post
It took me over a year to get Ford to send NHRA the spec's to my 2003 Mustang Cobra and we have been in the Ford business for over 30 years. They told me the only person they care about in NHRA drag racing is John Force and that's where all their attention and $ are going . Ford point blank told me they could care less about the sportsman racers. I'm still waiting on my class win Ford check from 5 years ago. They did do a good thing with giving Evan Smith the Shelby, so maybe they are starting to see THE BIG PICTURE.
It is amazing they have such attitude. Just take in to account the amount of ink in magazines and Ford/Mustang racing events that take place all over the country.

Quote:
To Myron:

I have been messing with the 4.6 DOHC 32v motor in this Cobra and between having 4 chains, 4 cams, 32 valve springs and lifter's and it being wider from valve cover to valve cover than a Boss 429 or a 426 hemi it been a piece of cake YA RIGHT, it's been a hand full.

P.S. I just want to tell ya little story. The first night I ever went bracket racing was on a Sat. night about 1986, in Orlando and who do I get first round was this Mopar guy who dialed slow, caught me at the 1/8 and fender raced me to the finish line and wore me out and I think it was you.

Good luck in 08 guys!!
Bret Velde
3028 A/S 2003 Cobra
Just hope that someone does not get ticked-off at you and post money for a teardown just to get you run out of time to put the car together!!!! I would be very upset if I was in your shoes!!!
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I admit up front that the following is strictly hearsay,so believe it or don't; if anyone can set me straight with the FACTS, please do so; these are the facts as I have heard them:

Ford is not the only manufacturer who cares little for NHRA Sportsman drag racing. I heard about a racer who spent a ton of his own money to build a late-model Corvette for Stock Eliminator and wasn't having much success with the motor, so went to General Motors and asked for some help programming the fuel curve, mainly. He had LOTS of money to spend and needed nothing but information from G.M.... nothing that would cost them a significant amount of time or factory money.

Their response to him was, basically, "Shoooo... We have ZERO interest in how your car runs, and in fact will do nothing to help you achieve success on the drag strip, because that is not the image we want for our cars." He ended up selling the car.

Insofar as adding horsepower before anyone has run a car with that engine down the track, as Bill Harris has pointed out, didn't NHRA do exactly the same thing to the NASCAR (single 4bbl) Hemi, a couple of years ago? I heard that someone who was, in fact, building a car for that motor stopped the project, cold, when they heard that NHRA had done that.

Where's the logic in that??? How can they (NHRA) know the factor is wrong before they've even seen one run?

Last edited by bill dedman; 01-04-2008 at 11:53 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,464 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
I admit up front that the following is strictly hearsay,so believe it or don't; if anyone can set me straight with the FACTS, please do so; these are the facts as I have heard them:

Ford is not the only manufacturer who cares little for NHRA Sportsman drag racing. I heard about a racer who spent a ton of his own money to build a late-model Corvette for Stock Eliminator and wasn't having much success with the motor, so went to General Motors and asked for some help programming the fuel curve, mainly. He had LOTS of money to spend and needed nothing but information from G.M.... nothing that would cost them a significant amount of time or factory money.

Their response to him was, basically, "Shoooo... We have ZERO interest in how your car runs, and in fact will do nothing to help you achieve success on the drag strip, because that is not the image we want for our cars." He ended up selling th car.

Insofar as adding horsepower before anyone has run a car with that engine down the track, as Bill Harris has pointed out, didn't NHRA do exactly the same thing to the NASCAR (single 4bbl) Hemi, a couple of years ago? I heard that someone who was, in fact, building a car for that motor stopped the project, cold, when they heard that NHRA had done that.

Where's the logic in that??? How can they know the factor is wrong before they've even seen one run?
The racing divisions are not run anymore by real racers or mechanics like in the early days; today they are run by PR people.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Cool Re: 09 challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETV View Post
To Myron:

Good luck in 08 guys!!
Bret Velde
3028 A/S 2003 Cobra

Didn't you get me back at the US Class Nationals? It's been a while, but I think I got beat by a later model Mustang.

With cutbacks at Mopar Performance, I'm concerned about what changes that will bring for Mopar sportsman racers in 2008!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Myron hold numbers? This I GOTTA see! LOL! I was going to get him a map to the brake pedal for Christmas, but I don't want him to get any better than he already is.

For what it's worth, Jon Clark, a Mopar Performance rep, was strolling the pits at the Canadian Nationals at Grand Bend a few years ago, and took the time to talk with Myron, Terry Knott, and myself, and presumably other Mopar racers. There's one manufacturer that cares! Hopefully Cerebus will allow its employees to maintain the good relationship the prior Chrysler parent companies have built over the years.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Wink Re: 09 challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Myron hold numbers? This I GOTTA see! LOL! I was going to get him a map to the brake pedal for Christmas.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
Tim F

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mr Beard.Let me tell you how supportive mopar is.I been dealing with mopar about 25 years.To date Mopar still has not sent me a set of stage 5 castings they told me they were sending.Had some problems with the castings and ruined a SS engine.Talked with mclaren/dart in canada who does the cnc work for mopar about the problems.The ball got dropped at mopars david hakim's desk,ever here of him?Yes we have talked to mopars jon clark before.Big jack brought him by at the gators just after i won class at the gators.He wanted imput on how to improve mopars relations with the racers,seeing how bad david was at it.I thought man finally we got someone up there we can call again.Before the year was out it was apparent jon was infected with the same mentality and evasiveness as hakim.At the pri show jon demonstrates is evasive skills again and doesn't want to talk to racers.We wanted to talk to jon about the new challenger,a body in white program,factory support,ETC.The SS challenger he said was a limited run and that was about it.probably there only for car collectors or someone in the click.After competing with 2 70 challengers for about 15 years A/SA and SS/FA you would think we would be considered.It looks like there are no deals on the new challenger,no factory support,or mabey just to us who knows.Hell you can even buy a v6 cheap challenger to make a race car out of.Ask jon about there aluminum 452 head and how they dropped the ball.If mopar got with edelbrock and made the combustion chamber like a stock head and stock valve size we might be able to get it approved for use in nhra stock/superstock.chevy and ford got theres.Mopar wont even supply stock valve size stage 5 castings we use in SS,only the big valve castings.Theres plenty more storys but you see how supportive mopar is,NOT AT ALL.As fas as cerburs goes dont look for anything from them,they manage several companies(bean counters).Mabey you crate motor car guys are getting support.Mabey you will get new challengers but we'll just keep our old ones.......Tim&Jim
Tim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: 09 challenger

i think i just went crosseyed
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe Tim Ilderton and Ilderton Dodge where i work will get a s/ss car and let me race it...I should ask
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote