I am old.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,493 Times in 1,708 Posts
Default Re: Econo Modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
I agree with most of what you post Ed, (except for the Pamela Anderson thing, I think I could come up with a better fantasy) that being said, what pray tell, is so hard to understand about a racing body, that truly does not race, other then the pros, and comp, and why they will never truly race. With the computer tech we have today to control illegal mods to heads, why is it so far fetched to think they would not want to try it? I agree they won't try it, but why?
Randy, I'll put my 1 and 1/2 cents in here, from experience.

Get a few cars built and ask for a class in Super stock, and you may get it...They did it for the VWs recently.
If you are wanting a new eliminator category, forget it, until you see maybe 30-40 cars in class runoffs. Don't bother asking until then.
You might be able to some LODRS tracks to give you a Saturday night showcase , as long as you take the full hit at the gate...
Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
i am old.
lol!!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Billy Nees came up with a workable solution that would level the playing field, keep costs in check, and be easily policed over a decade ago.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Mark, I'll agree that we have one chance in a million to get this done. That's not my problem with this whole drag racing deal. I just have to wonder why, with the direction NHRA, and IHRA are going, they don't try to bring just a little excitement to local tracks, and try something like this. Everyone's right. Drag racing ain't what it used to be. Drag racing used to be a locally exciting sport. NO ONE CARES ANYMORE TO GO WATCH IT!. THERE IS A SIMPLE REASON! NO ONE UNDERSTANDS IT! I guess, growing up, racing at Bethany, and watching Eddyville, I just thought that was what it was all about. Done my first bracket race at Lee County, Keokuk Iowa, in 78, and never really cared for it. It's not what we grew up with, and don't understand why, with today's tech, and computer abilities, why a limited head deal would be hard to police at all. In our 2 year spec deal we ran, the SLOWEST cars were within .2 of the fastest cars. And the top ten were within .06 from 10 to number 1. How hard can it be? You could catch someone so easily modifying heads past what is allowed easily. Let the computer make the decision.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #16
Jim Hawkins

Liked 109 Times in 32 Posts

Randy, I ran my 67 camaro in ss/cs from 1991 thru about 1999. The reason I chose that class was because of the limit on cyl. heads. With iron heads no need to invest on the latest high dollar alum. head every couple years. You are on target about a spec head, that is the key. I recently started racing again with this same car with a stick in ss/i. If this class was a reality I would have built a motor under these rules instead of my 327. Like was said earlier need to adapt a class into super stock. Run SS at nhra events and if enough interest have some heads up events somewhere. Also I sold some motor parts to a guy in missouri years ago that was going to run a class like this. Maybe he ran with you guys. If I had my way it would be for older stick cars only.
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #17
randy wilson

Jim Hawkins! I'll be damned. I ran against your stuff at Bethany Mo. and was a little worried about it. The only thing that saved me, was his car was not as equipped as mine. Trust me, I was running a little SS\CS when you were, and you were quicker. Not by much, but enough. You and Ricky Ray, and Randall Beningfield were the hitters then. I ran Randy at Lousiville, and I think I ran a 6.39 to his 6.36 in class, and I met Ricky at U.S. 36 raceway, and got my doors removed to the tune of a 6.28, to a 6.40. I watched you guys closely, and you, and Ray were always .2 to .25 ahead of me. My only consolation was I ran some big speed numbers, to the tune of 111.42 MPH in 93 in the 1\8th to
Randy's 106 MPH, 114 MPH in 2007 at Eddyville Ia. Best ET in 1\4 was a 9.76, but we ran 142.78 MPH. We were running phase 2 bowties by John Haskell. There again, we kinda slowed down when the vortec bowties came out, and Manns blasted the record. Pissed me off because I had $7,000 in each set. Not saying it wasn't the same for all, but just when you think you're closing in, wham, new head allowed. That's what I wish they would fix. You were one of the guys I admired.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #18
Jim Hawkins

Liked 109 Times in 32 Posts

Thanks Randy this old car did run well back then but all the credit belongs to Patterson's. They treated me real good especially since I was a low buck guy compared to most of their customers. I ran phase 1 heads done by Brandywine and Patterson did the rest. Still have some of those heads. Ricky Ray and myself had some good times running each other. I could usually run right with him. Another guy who ran fast was Monty Jones with his beretta. We had a good Indy class final were I ran a 9.77 to his 9.74 I think and both had double 0 lights. That car was real trick then while i had a 67 camaro, ladder bars, powerglide and a heavy dana rear. Pretty good numbers in ss/cs 20 years ago!
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
randy wilson

Very good numbers Jim. I'm glad, and a little surprised you gave these thoughts a little consideration. But anyone who wants to actually race has got to see what I'm trying to relay here. There is no reason for all of the expensive crap we run today. And with today's technology, how hard could it be to make all participants keep the heads legit. I love the old car stick deal, and I've owned both the old and the new. I believe with both cars worked out, the new has the advantage over the old, and I believe the old cars still attract the crowd, especially the local crowd. Thanks for sharing. PM me anytime. I also owned, and drove Lyndon Bodnard's SS\CS 67 camaro to a Big Shoot-out win at Bethany. It used to be Danny Byrd's C\SM. I blew his motor up the 4th pass in the car, and bought a 292 short block for $600, had Ron's fix the head I hurt, and ran a best .17 under, 170 lbs. over wt. in SS\CS. Not great, but I was thrilled. That was back when .17 under, was decent. That was with a set of 461X's.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Hey, if you were old you would like Pam Anderson! LOL
Apples to Apples I'd have taken Jennifer O'Neill any day of the week all year long.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote