HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
V M Kauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: D.O.t. laws in Michigan?

The DOT regulation is a Federal Rule its same for all states.
Here is the kicker it says that ANY VEHICLE COMBO USED IN A Comerical operation with a combined weight of over 10,001 lb (this means truck trailer and towed vehicle) must have a DOT number, once you put this number on the tow vehicle then you must have
A CDL
A medical card
A driver qualification file
A driver test card
A vehicle maintaince file for truck and trailer
And log books
And this is in every state
Just look up the Federal DOT Regulations they are on line
V M Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #12
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

390.3 applies. If your stuff is in your personal name, 390.3.f.3 I think it is in the DOT manual which exempts you from DOT. But length is still a state deal. You need to know and be prepared. You can race for money; specifically allowed in 390. And always remember you are not being paid to drive the rig. If your rig, pickup, whatever is in ABC Racing or some company name, you are DOT over 10,001 and subject to everything. Try this. Owner ABC Racing, Leased to Johnny Smith (personal). The end user is the responsible party.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
btbelvedere

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

For the OP. If you drive a commercial vehicle with a combined weight of 26,001 or more, you are required to have a CDL. What constitutes a commercial vehicle has been argued about, and will continue to be argued about, probably forever.
btbelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
btbelvedere

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Sorry, I mis-spoke a little bit. If the manufacturer's combined GVW is over 26,001, regardless of the actual weight, a CDL is required.
btbelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
ron morehead

Liked 110 Times in 12 Posts

I just had a nice chat with a Pennsylvania DOT when he pulled me over on my way back from Ohio. We were in a crew cab duallie open trailer with my Superstocker on it. he pulled mw over to say that I was a commercial vehicle because of all the stickers on the car. He asked me where I was going and where I was coming from tld him Ohio chassis shop and showed him the bill and we are going home to my house. He asked me for my license and reg which I handed him my Class A CDL and Medical card and the reg to the truck which is registered in Honda Of Kingston, I did not have the reg for the trailer with me. He started to ask me why I had a CDL and I told him that I would drive for some of my friends trucking Companies. He then asked do I race for MONEY( I waiting for that question) I answered YES and that I get a 1099 at end of year and claim it as Income I do not write this off as this is not a business Entity. Then he commented on the Dealerships names on the car and if I get paid from them. That when my father Ron Sr says "Yea he works for me I own those stores and he get a pay check every week and a W2 form at the end of the year. As the questions kept coming to me I proceeded to recite the 390.3 out of the FMSCA book to them and this is where things started going in my favor. I said to them I understand that I am in a GREY area but what the FMSCA states is that I am excempt from being a CMV because it is for HOBBY only. His next question I think sealed it when he asked if we are making $$$$ racing My Father and I at the same time started to laugh real loud and we said NO. Just then the other DOT trooper pulled over a truck/horse trailer combination I saw in my rear view mirror both the troopers talking and the one comes back and tells me this is my LUCKY day and lets us go. The moral to this situation is I knew about the 390.3 clause had my CDL and Medical card, the trailer had all the proper attachments and I was not rude I just knew enough of what I needed to state my case.
ron morehead is offline   Reply With Quote