HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-08-2022, 10:06 PM   #11
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts
Default Re: Want to "bring back" Class Racing?

Bryon
Correct I mean stk and ss had 80 plus class winner at Indy in 2001 and over 45% of them were class singles. This is when we start to see this sponsor pull back start around 2002-2004. There are currently to many classes for any kind of sponsor to support this deal. Its not rocket science. What sponsor in there right mind would sign up for paying class right now with 160 max class winners at 4-5 class paying events per year. That number needs to be closer to 80 max class winners per event.

Currently STK and SS are a performance based eliminators with no focus on performance at this time. its more like what class can I hid in so I don't get a heads up
Old 02-09-2022, 09:57 AM   #12
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Bryon
Correct I mean stk and ss had 80 plus class winner at Indy in 2001 and over 45% of them were class singles. This is when we start to see this sponsor pull back start around 2002-2004. There are currently to many classes for any kind of sponsor to support this deal. Its not rocket science. What sponsor in there right mind would sign up for paying class right now with 160 max class winners at 4-5 class paying events per year. That number needs to be closer to 80 max class winners per event.

Currently STK and SS are a performance based eliminators with no focus on performance at this time. its more like what class can I hid in so I don't get a heads up
The highest Quota for S/SS for the first 4 races (that's all they had listed) is 75 so the most class winners you could have per class is 38 assuming no one in the combo class. So there is no way in reality that you would have to pay out 160 classes.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:24 AM   #13
Charley Downing

The class paying race at points meets have no quotas.
Todays sponsors and the people they answer to want exact numbers so they can budget it. The range of what could be paid out to actually paid out is to wide.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 02-09-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #14
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
In 2001, my dad won class eliminations 9 times! Each class win was worth around $2000.00 in contingency money. To put that in perspective, I got $15,000 for winning the World Championship in 2020. What do we have now, a total of 7 class eliminations races country wide that you'll be lucky to claim $200 for winning!

I was wondering if NASCAR's payouts were the same as they were in 2001 and if their executives still got their 150% increases in salary and bonuses over that time span???

Maybe instead of focusing on the AHFS, someone should focus on bringing class racing back to what it used to be and the AHFS would take care of itself! Don't you think someone might push their combo a little harder if the payout was worth a little more than $100-$200???? I do!
Can't find a purse for the 2001 Daytona 500 but in 1998 the winner took home $1,000,000. It was the 50th. Anniversary Race. Joey Logano won $1,581,453 in 2015. The 2022 winners purse is $1,600,000
In 2010 the NASCAR "Sportsman" (Xfinity and trucks) took a 10 percent cut.

Teams get guaranteed spots in a race (not qualifying spots) if they have a NASCAR Charter. A Charter is currently $12 million per car. Roger Pensky has, like 4 of them.

Last edited by FireSale; 02-09-2022 at 12:40 PM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:00 PM   #15
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,158 Times in 787 Posts

Bryan,

What class did your dad run in 2001? If I remember correctly GT/KA? His record is super impressive.

I agree with all your points but it comes down to the manufacturers posting the money, certainly not the N.H.R.A. Is this something that should be be taken to David Kennedy Director of Multimedia Content & Contingency Program?

Your'e correct about the AHFS questions being solved and also remember back in the day if you set a national record you got points for it.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #16
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts

So true Frank. Setting an ET record earned you points. The same was true for a mph record. So many vacant class minimum records is just a shame. NHRA should promote record setting by awarding points to racers if their car passes tear down. I bet then the tear down barn would be jam packed.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:37 PM   #17
Charley Downing

I believe nhra has brought up giving points for national records and top 3-5 qualifying positions in the last 3 months. But 5 of the 7 current SRAC stk/ss members are more bracket Oriented racers and it was shot down. I believe one even used an example that he would have lost the world championship to drew skillman if those qualifying points were in place a few years ago.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:36 PM   #18
Monte Howard

Liked 49 Times in 15 Posts

Let’s not forget the way NHRA has treated the contingency paying companies over the last 20 years also, I believe that is another reason most left. Besides most Companies where owned buy car guys, now they have all been bought out by pencil pushers.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:27 AM   #19
B Parker

Liked 2,325 Times in 456 Posts

forget just about paying for winning class. Look at the list of companies that pay winner and runner up. It's a far cry from what it was 20 years ago. It would be nice just to get more to sign on to pay winner and runner up. I'd love to see points for setting records and the top 5 qualifiers. Put a limit on the number of points you can obtain from either one of these 2. Say a record could get you 5 points. Max it at ten so you could only get points for setting 2 records. Set the number of points you could obtain from qualifying at 20. Just examples BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:36 AM   #20

Liked 536 Times in 121 Posts

The contingency money issue is multifaceted. Companies are posting for exposure that will translate into increased sales. The number of sales that can be made to our active racers is really pretty limited. This means exposure to spectators, passerby’s, print media, tv, etc. Pretty hard sell to a company when a divisional race(most of our events) have a minimum number of spectators. Solution is for promoters(NHRA, tracks, private race promoters) to partner to change this dynamic. More spectators = more sales. National Dragster reaches the same group of viewers each month, few new viewers. Remember when everybody used open trailers. People were always honking, waving, and pointing at the race cars when they passed you on the highway. When you stopped at a gas station people always came over to look at and talk about racing. Bottom line is proper promotion of sport with increased viewing and spectators can lead to more sales and an increased number of contingency sponsors. Mike McMahan 2543 H/SA
4543 is offline   Reply With Quote