HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Div 2 Orlando race moved to Atlanta

Thats Ok Jim, thats the way things go around here, but i know you won and damn proud of you!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
John Leichtamer Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All this over TAD/TAFC who gives a crap about them?????

Hammer
John Leichtamer Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Jim;

Since you are the man "in the know", is this change a decision made by Bill or by Carl's choice? I realize there is the safety concern of running alcohol cars there, but I read on another message board a few years ago that it was Carl's decision to opt out of running the alcohol cars for the same reasons SGMP has dropped their division race, the alcohol cars don't draw enough spectators to make the pay-out that they run for.

Now I am glad I decided to sit out this year. I don't mind going to Commerce and have made that trip many times, but having this change dumped on the racers with less than a month notice would really mess up my budget and plans to be away from work. I'm sure I will be in the minority with this statement, but Orlando is my favorite track to run at on the Lucus Oil schedule. Also Carl has been my favorite track operator for a long time (no offense Ed, you are my 2nd favorite, but I've known Carl longer).

I have been looking at the IHRA div 2 schedule for this year and it looks kind of appealing now that the race schedule is more spread out over the course of the year. Now it's looking even more appealing.

Hey Dan Moore, you're #1.

RIP Mark Graham
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,934 Times in 901 Posts

You're right Joe, you would be in the minority about Orlando in my book; otherwise you're spot on. On the plus side Atlanta will probably pull in some racers that won't attend Orlando but as stated earlier early March in Atlanta can be REAL iffy. Too bad they can't tell the Alcohol crowd to race on their own dime like everybody else has to and let Valdosta have the event. Can't help but wonder if they even got offered the chance given their disagreement over Alcohol classes to begin with.

Jim Wahl....thought it was a shame about the Nat Open at Valdosta not being in ND, it was a great event with all the records being set and your win of course!
Set another place at the table
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 14,928 Times in 1,378 Posts

Jim,

Do you know if Orlando will have regular racing on that weekend. I was going to Orlando before Gainesville. I don't see Atlanta being an option for me. I want to go where its warm, and Atlanta in March is not likely to be warm enough for me. Also the 5 hour drive from Atlanta to Gainesville makes it less likely for me to go.

Maybe you should try to get a stock super stock race for that weekend. I'm sure there are others coming from the north that would be interested.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
scott helms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Ken ,Jim how about talking Carl into a $5000.00 to win SSSSA race that weekend before Gators for everyone who's coming down?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Kevin McKenna

Liked 33 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Just an example to back up my statements above. I had to call California and tell them there had been a National Open at SGMP in December. I spoke with Kevin McKenna and told him about the race. He said they had no info on it because the DD had not sent them any info or pictures. Kevin told me that sending info on races to the ND was the Division Directors job. Was I pissed? You bet. That race was the first NHRA race I have ever won in almost 40 years of racing with them. Kevin called me back the same day and said that the story had been written and will be in ND #4 next week. Once again, thanks Bill. Jim
Jim,
Your recollection of that phone call and mine differ greatly. Perhaps it wasn't clear from our conversation but as I explained, the SGMP National Open was completed too late to make our last issue of 2009. We received a well written story and photos from track reporter Marvin Smith but for a variety of reasons, it did not run in National Dragster until this week. Once agian, I will apologize for the delay but the responsibility for that lies with ME and ME ONLY. At no time did the Division or the Division Director ever enter into our conversation.

Kevin McKenna
National DRAGSTER
Kevin McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl

"Once agian, I will apologize for the delay but the responsibility for that lies with ME and ME ONLY. At no time did the Division or the Division Director ever enter into our conversation."

Hmmm. I guess I should have recorded the conversation huh Kevin? My guess is that if it wasn't done for the last edition of the year it would have been done for the first? Not the fourth? Also who's fault was it for Drag Race Central getting no info all that weekend? Not yours that's for sure. I guess you're upset I used your name in the post. Sorry if you are taking heat for it. It's too bad that you feel you must fall on the sword for Holt but I guess you are a team player. You and I both know it wasn't your fault. I have always admired your work. I always will no matter who employs you. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 02-09-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl

Ken, I will try and find out, Jim and I will discuss this. have had many calls today asking if we would put on a race on that weekend. I would think maybe Carl might go for it but I can't speak for him of course.

Joe, the final decision was made by Graham Light. No track owner in his right mind would spend almost $100,000 so 8 cars could run for free once a year and have to pay them out of the tracks pocket. If TAFC and TAD cars were so profitable for these tracks why don't any of them want them? NHRA needs to get a grip on reality. No Sportsman cars race for free! Alcohol cars need to be at National Events only. Hell, they can't even get a full field anyway!
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
Brian Oakes

Liked 410 Times in 115 Posts
Talking Re: Div 2 Orlando race moved to Atlanta

I agree with Kenny, Jim speak with Carl or Randy on S/SS combo, they shouldn't have a reg. race, as the div. was schl. then run it Sat. and a test and tune on Sun, ya know with the new index's the bunch up north been making power all winter, i know they will not want more HP. at Gainesville, I;'am in the middle east now and was planning on flying into Orlando and race. or i would be there seeing Carl and Randy myself, so lets get something rolling ASAP and get the word out if this can happen.Hope it snows in Atlanta LOL Brian
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote