HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Michigan RV's + Trailer Length Warning

I found this in the Michigan link and wonder if that would apply to a Trailer Toad ? It does sound like it .....

Length shall not include safety and energy conservation devices including, but not limited to, impact absorbing bumpers, rear view mirrors,turn signal lamps, marker lamps, steps and hand holds for entry and egress, flexible fender extensions, mud flaps or splash and suppressant devices, load induced tire bulge, refrigeration or heating units, or air compressors. A device shall be excluded from a determination of length only if it is not designed or used for the carrying of cargo.
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
charlie westcott

Liked 218 Times in 7 Posts

We were pulled over on the way to columbus last year by Barry Archer. He is well known in the area. The truth is, there is no length limit on the books for motorhomes pulling trailers. They define everything in the laws. "truck tractor, semi trailer, etc" No combo for motorhome and trailer. I contacter Mike Nofs, our state senetor, and we had a meeting with the MDOT in march. The last I heard was they were making a new law that says motorhomes and trailers can be 75 ft long. They called here a month ago, and said it was going to happen, that they had approval from everyone before they took it to the floor for the vote. I dont know when that happens, but I will try to find out. The MDOT's response to the fact that there is no length limit for MH and trailer was, "if its not specified in the law, its an illegal combination" thats what it said, they showed me. So I said if you have anything hooked on the back of a motorhome you are illegal? They said (sheepishly) yes.
I will contact Nofs today, and see if I can find out anything.

cw
charlie westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #13
Mackie Family Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CW,

shoot big -- many of us Michigander's need a little bit more than 75 feet... 85 would be nice, even if were to require a permit (e.g., Florida) of some sort for the dozen or so times most of us are on the road each summer...
Mackie Family Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
charlie westcott

We asked about permits, the dot didnt seem to enthused about that. Not sure why, I would think it would generate more $$ to sell 5000 permits, than to write 100 tickets. They asked me about the length, I didnt feel like it was going to fly to ask for 100', so I figured that 10' over a semi was going to be more feasable, so I suggested75. And if it is 75, than your 80' trailer isnt going to be such a moving target.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
Mackie Family Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CW,

agreed... although I think the 53' trailers behind a big tractor produce a 77' overall length (not dead positive), so that's where I came up with 85' (plus our rig is 82'...!)

srm
Mackie Family Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #16
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Dave Wenzel had a book the police officer gave him that specified the over length rules. I looked it over pretty good and nowhere did I see any mention of motor homes. The only thing it talked about was commercial trucks. It looks to me like these officers are interpreting the law to suit their own purposes.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #17
charlie westcott

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ngs/122298.txt

in this law it says that "no state shall impose length limit on truck tractor, trailer combo"

thats why the semis are ok, and the semis have a trailer length limit of 53, so as long as the trailer is under 53 in Mi. than you can be any length. The Fed exemption doesnt apply to motor homes.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #18
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You need to ook in DOT Regs there is a part bout Bussiness operating with in a 100 or 125 mile radius of the buss that exemptts a lot of the reeg IE lawn care would be a good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zaskowski View Post
Easy with the staying out of Michigan Greg, If everyone does that there will be no one for us to race agiainst at the Mid Michigan points meet in July!

Below is a link to what I was able to find on the Maximum vehicle lengths in Michigan. At the bottom it has a special permit section but it says it is for occasional movement of oversized or weight vehicles.

Sounds like about 75% of the rigs that are at the track are overlength in Michigan.

I have heard by us they have been cracking down on lawn care and similar other businesses using vehicles with trailers over 10,000lbs combined for not having DOT numbers. Another crack down lately is for trailers not having the proper braking, emergency braking, lighting, trailer tires, overloading for the axle rating. Pretty much sounds like our wonderful state trying to stir some more $$$$

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Loads_dim_87014_7.pdf
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #19
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 689 Times in 267 Posts

CW
That applies to auto transporters. I thought great... but deep in there it says:
Vehicles transporting wrecked automobiles or vehicles used solely
to compete in motorsport competition events may not be considered
automobile transporters. Wrecked automobiles are those that are either
not operable, or if operable to some extent, could not operate safely
on the highways. Vehicles used solely to compete in motorsport
competition events are those that could not legally operate on the
highways.
Im no lawyer, but I think that doesn't do us race car haulers any good.
Woops... I went back and re read all that mumbo jumbo and it looks like they deleted that part,,, So it does do us some good!

Last edited by Adger Smith; 05-25-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Correction
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #20
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Michigan RV's + Trailer Length Warning

No wonder there is no room in the pits and the NHRA has to limit the number of cars at any given event. How about using smaller rigs !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote