HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
FS Fan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Setting records Nhra needs to step up

I think one of the reasons there are so many minimums is because there are so many classes.

I wouldn't think sponsors would want to commit to paying every time a record was set because the potential payout could be huge. Even $100 per class that's ~170 classes in Stock and SS, right? Big commitment, especially when several classes might not really have more than a couple cars competing in a given season.
FS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #12
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,581 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gillis View Post
At the World Finals in 1971 after every qualifying attempt I was weighed and they checked the fuel even though I wasn't going quick enough to qualify. I finally asked why and they said I was going over the MPH record. The et slip said it was a little over 116 but at sea level it was 121.39 for a new record. I had to take my Cobra Jet apart and it was legal even though I didn't qualify. All I got was my name in National Dragster as the SS/GA mph record holder.
Just curious how did they used to get through events in a weekend? Didn't they used to get 128+ cars in each category?
Bobby Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,601 Times in 1,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
Just curious how did they used to get through events in a weekend? Didn't they used to get 128+ cars in each category?
Bobby, They didn't have 200 Super cars, for one thing.
We used to have to load the cars and take them to the motels to work on them.
It was not unusual to go to the motel, have dinner, then change a cam, or trans., or ring and pinion, and have it all done by dark.
That would be just about impossible to do today.
Very few had motor homes either, so the after hours socializing and cookouts didn't occur.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
killer1

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I like your idea Ed !!!!!!!!!!!!
killer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,601 Times in 1,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gillis View Post
At the World Finals in 1971 after every qualifying attempt I was weighed and they checked the fuel even though I wasn't going quick enough to qualify. I finally asked why and they said I was going over the MPH record. The et slip said it was a little over 116 but at sea level it was 121.39 for a new record. I had to take my Cobra Jet apart and it was legal even though I didn't qualify. All I got was my name in National Dragster as the SS/GA mph record holder.
Correct.
All under the record runs at Amarillo were the new record, after teardown. Even just the MPH record. (Been there, done that. Got the free T shirts)
If you think about it, it made sense, seeing it was the top 5 points earners in each category , each division, who were invited to attend The Finals.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Smile Re: Setting records Nhra needs to step up

This issue should be addressed by NHRA and to go further, if a competitor goes under the record, take him apart and make him the record holder. Points should be awarded for et and mph records. Give the accomplishment an incentive and let's see where it goes.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #17
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I have been going after NHRA class records for the past 3 seasons, knowing up front the most I can gain is a paper trophy and a micro size line in their bi-weekly publication.
For me it all about the challenge and (hopefully) the sense of accomplishment if all goes as planned.

I know it is alot of work for the NHRA techs to check all that stuff.

I have only torn down a 4 cylinder Stocker for inspection, but those guys have to be familiar with all families of engines from several different manufacturers as well as all the stock and ss rules.

That's a bunch to keep up with.
Hats off to them.

edit: Yes, it would be nice to get something more than just a piece of paper for all the work.

Last edited by ALMACK; 06-17-2015 at 01:29 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #18
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

There are still a lot of senior S-S/S racers out there. Many are not as sharp on the Eliminator side (bracket side) of racing for one reason or another. But a lot of these folks are very sharp on the cars performance. It would be wonderful if there was a way for these folks to leave some kind of mark on their racing career. They may only go a few rounds in the eliminator, but the possibility of setting a record could go a long way to keeping some of these folks around. Now, if there is some type of reward/award for this then it's even better. Some cash... some points... some ink... It's a great idea, and another way to hold onto what real racing is in my opinion. It seems to me that like everything else in our country... S-S/S is getting watered down, and it just don't taste the same and folks don't quite like it the same. The only thing that never gets watered down is your entry cost. We know that polical correctness is alive and well in dragracing with respect to the Ford, GM, and Mopar. Let's acknowlege personal achievement before it gets to the point where no body cares because "everybody gets a trophy" like kids sports... and the sport dies completely

Wade Mahaffey

Last edited by Wade Mahaffey; 06-17-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #19
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

accidental double post

Last edited by Wade Mahaffey; 06-17-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
600ci

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Cool Re: Setting records Nhra needs to step up

points and a couple bucks would be fine with me.
3x nhra record holder 08 cobra jet
2hrs to tear it down
4hrs to screw it back together
600ci is offline   Reply With Quote