HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Impala SS

Dan the 265 Caprice was a taxi cab motor , Back in 2005 Fred Gillhan & Brent Darroch raced 350 LT1 in F/FIA best runs for Fred 11.64, Brent 11.71. 299hp at end of year. Tom
Old 12-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 181 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moock View Post
Dan the 265 Caprice was a taxi cab motor , Back in 2005 Fred Gillhan & Brent Darroch raced 350 LT1 in F/FIA best runs for Fred 11.64, Brent 11.71. 299hp at end of year. Tom
Thanks Tom,
Cool..fixed it! Now 265 cuin..and yes a baby LT1
Know Dave Compolito's son ran a 11.67.
Thanks for history and correction!
Like to know more about Fred's car.

Dave Ley evened emailed me on the cuin.
Very much appreciate getting it correct!

NHRA and IHRA rate the Stock LT1 350 at 299.
IHRA rates the same engine in Pure Stock at 295hp.
Think it is a little high compared to the Mustangs.
But I am good with it..
D

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 12-28-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
Tar Heel

Mr. Fahey,

I'm shocked it took you until post #8 to jump in on this one. You must have had too much turkey for Christmas and your reaction times are slower. Although I'm sure when you saw 1995 Impala SS as a post title you thought someone was giving you a late present!

Yes, they make a great combination for both Stock and Pure Stock depending on what your desire is as well as your location and which HRA your track runs. They're easy to work on, parts are relatively inexpensive, it doesn't take much to get one to run under the index, they'll hook in a car wash and always my favorite they're different!

We sold our first one to Corbitt and Colby many moons and three states ago. It was basically a bolt-on car Dan (not a 383) and did have a set of Woodro heads on it. IIRC that was the first set of iron LT1 heads that he had worked on a I remember him being intrigued with them. I do recall him saying that they would flow comparable to the aluminum F-body versions and had the potential to make more hp because of them being iron and being able to hold heat or keep compression up. Don't remember. We did run mid 12s NA and drove the car on the street. When I sold it there was a nitrous system on it IIRC but it wasn't completely installed and had never been used.

The next one we bought was from north of Dallas. It had aftermarket heads and a cam and went 10.90s on a 150 shot and was also completely street legal and driven. It had a Turbo 400 with the factory 10 bolt and weighed 4200 lbs.

Both were very cool cars and if we had unlimited funds and space I'd build another one. We have since moved on too and lost 1,000 lbs. and now run a LS1.

Scott Kaufman
Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 181 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
Mr. Fahey,

I'm shocked it took you until post #8 to jump in on this one. You must have had too much turkey for Christmas and your reaction times are slower. Although I'm sure when you saw 1995 Impala SS as a post title you thought someone was giving you a late present!

Yes, they make a great combination for both Stock and Pure Stock depending on what your desire is as well as your location and which HRA your track runs. They're easy to work on, parts are relatively inexpensive, it doesn't take much to get one to run under the index, they'll hook in a car wash and always my favorite they're different!

We sold our first one to Corbitt and Colby many moons and three states ago. It was basically a bolt-on car Dan (not a 383) and did have a set of Woodro heads on it. IIRC that was the first set of iron LT1 heads that he had worked on a I remember him being intrigued with them. I do recall him saying that they would flow comparable to the aluminum F-body versions and had the potential to make more hp because of them being iron and being able to hold heat or keep compression up. Don't remember. We did run mid 12s NA and drove the car on the street. When I sold it there was a nitrous system on it IIRC but it wasn't completely installed and had never been used.

The next one we bought was from north of Dallas. It had aftermarket heads and a cam and went 10.90s on a 150 shot and was also completely street legal and driven. It had a Turbo 400 with the factory 10 bolt and weighed 4200 lbs.

Both were very cool cars and if we had unlimited funds and space I'd build another one. We have since moved on too and lost 1,000 lbs. and now run a LS1.

Scott Kaufman
Hello Scott: err Steve err Scott !
Oh this one made me laugh so hard ..!!!
Hope you are all having a great mental health break..

Yeah I saw this and figured to wait a day to see who else would pop up.
I hog way too much of the scene sometimes.

BTW I misspelled and corrected your last name.
One benefit was that I have learned how to spell their names correctly.

Also thanks for the history update.
Did not know you had two Impala SS.
Plus your Pure Stock LS1 Vette is a super sleeper too.

The B-Body platform are the last of the 60's/70's GM Framed Hot Rods.
So hopping them up is easy with a huge embedded parts base.

Hope to run into you in 2016.
Thinking about putting the Tow Car, Race Car and Trailer on the AutoTrain and run some of the Florida IHRA events.

Have a great New Year Scott.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 12-30-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote