HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
Bill Howell
Sponsor

Liked 216 Times in 62 Posts
Default Re: New IHRA President

I participated in a sponsor "Town Hall" conference call with the folks at IHRA today including Mike Dunn, along with other contingency sponsors. I was impressed with how it went and believe we should think very positive about how they value input from the sportsman racers.

Bill Howell 2059 STK
Bill Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #12
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

They said this will be a transitional year between the Nitro Jam era and the 2017 program. I think that hiring Dunn hints that they may be bringing back a more traditional competition-based form of racing.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #13
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts

Good news. I like running ihra races. Two races one weekend. Saves racers money. I hope they keep that part. They do need more participants in sportsman particularly super stock. I have no idea why my fellow D4 refuse to go to Ihra races. I talked Ashton Hudson into coming to a Ihra last year and now he's hitting all of them this year. He likes the treatment sportsman racers get and the two for one. I think people should give it a shot.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #14
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

What IHRA needs is a REAL Pro program. If I remember correctly NHRA forbids their "pro class stars" from racing at any other venue. Maybe it's time for IHRA to sic the lawyers on them and free up the market. I remember when IHRA Mountain Motor was the thing.
Then (why I don't know why) after it went away IHRA started a downward spiral. That and the fact that NHRA started grabbing away tracks all over the country. Maybe I'm wrong, if so someone enlighten me.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Ed: I think there were two things that really hurt IHRA in the past. The first was Bill Bader leaving. Bill was very sharp and had a vision. The second was the Evan Knoll/Torco Race Fuels fiasco. Knoll was pumping a ton of money into both the IHRA and NHRA, and that all "went away" when he got caught by the feds.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #16
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

I am not a real big fan of the two race per weekend deal. If the car count gets high enough you will be racing well past midnight. That's a real long day. If you have any weather related issues it can push the program into Monday as there is no room in the schedule for anything like that. Plus if you have a problem with your race car you will miss two of your points races at one time. I have been running the div 2 events and they are typically well run. This past weekend in Immokalee there was rain on Saturday afternoon and they attempted to run both races on Sunday simultaneously. I lost first round both races and left the track at 8 pm Sunday. They ran several more rounds that evening but had to complete the race on Monday. Even if u had won several rounds I could not have stayed on Monday due to work commitments. All in all the race was pretty well run.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I am not a real big fan of the two race per weekend deal. If the car count gets high enough you will be racing well past midnight. That's a real long day. If you have any weather related issues it can push the program into Monday as there is no room in the schedule for anything like that. Plus if you have a problem with your race car you will miss two of your points races at one time. I have been running the div 2 events and they are typically well run. This past weekend in Immokalee there was rain on Saturday afternoon and they attempted to run both races on Sunday simultaneously. I lost first round both races and left the track at 8 pm Sunday. They ran several more rounds that evening but had to complete the race on Monday. Even if u had won several rounds I could not have stayed on Monday due to work commitments. All in all the race was pretty well run.
Hello All.
I Hope Mike can bring IHRA back to its Glory days. Real Pro & Class Racing.
Only time will tel, but I'm going along for the ride.

Keep the doubles, it happens to singles to.

Weather is something none of us can do anything about.
IHRA did the best they could under the circumstances.

I have been at a ____ event that it started raining Thursday night, cleared up and everybody got 1 time run Friday afternoon and it poured again. Everybody got 1 time run Saturday and it rained again. They held us all over to Sunday, even though there was a 80% chance of raining. finally calling the race at noon on Sunday. Then we all got to come back 2 weeks later.

Mother Nature LUV'S Drag Racers
Cal S/ST HR 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #18
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,661 Times in 526 Posts

To get the spectators back they need to bring back the fast door cars i.e. pro mods and mountain motor pro stock. to get the racers back get the contingency money back if they get the contingency money back where it was I'll come back. Oh and bring Back the printed version of Drag review I think its great Mike Dunn is now in charge I hope he can turn this ship around!

Last edited by Keith 944; 02-10-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #19
Bret Kepner

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
To get the spectators back they need to bring back the fast door cars i.e. pro mods and mountain motor pro stock.
Ummm...since you obviously don't pay any attention to their program, you should probably be informed Pro Modified and Mountain Motor Pro Stock have both been back in IHRA's line-up for a while now.
Bret Kepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
Bret Kepner

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
If I remember correctly NHRA forbids their "pro class stars" from racing at any other venue.
It's official; you do NOT remember correctly, Ed. LOL! Obviously, the NHRA has never forbidden Pro racers to race "at any other venue".
Bret Kepner is offline   Reply With Quote