HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
JDEMARZO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: 12 bolt gear breaking problems....

Do not think you can use a street gear with a trans break, to much stress on the teeth, go right to a pro gear and it should not break. You could get by with a street gear if you were just foot braking.

Good luck
JDEMARZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 AM   #12
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Smile Re: 12 bolt gear breaking problems....

Ericsz: I run a stick shift Camaro with a 12 bolt rear end. I can tell you for sure if my 12 bolt stands up to the loads I put on it, a 12 bold will wokk for you too. 7800 rpm starting line launch and so far no trauble. Pro gear is the way to go!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
Don Fardie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 12 bolt gear breaking problems....

Ericsz,
I know a lot of automatics are running Street gears and the RPM?s you are leaving at should be alright, but Pro Gears will take the most abuse because of the softness at which they are harden to. Setting the BL at .012 is too loose for new and .004 is way too tight for new. Try setting them at ..007 and make sure the pinion depth is set correctly to get the pattern favoring the front of the tooth from center. What type of Gear oil are you running? Red Line makes different Shock rated rear end lubes that have always worked great for me. I run a Stick car with Pro Gears (Richmond) and I had great success in setting my rear ends up this way, after a LONG RUN of breakage in trying to find the right set up.
Good Luck??..Don
Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
ericsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks so much guys, I knew I get some real answers from you guys, I keep hearing people say welp its time for a 9 inch. You guys have proven differently which is why I asked you folks...Thanks a lot!
ericsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #15
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Are you using a solid spacer or a crush sleeve in the pinion? If you have a crush sleeve, switch to a solid spacer with shims.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 852 Times in 299 Posts

Eric,we finally gave up and did put a nine inch in.But back when we ran a 5.57 gear we never broke any gears.It wasn't until we started running a 6.00 gear and the pinion got so small that every 50 runs or so it would bust one.We set them tight, loose, bought MW caps,T/A cover etc.... Alot of it has to do with weight.We know alot of folks with the lighter class cars that run a twelve bolt and punish the crap out of them and they don't have problems.But when you get over 3100 or 3200 pounds ( our car is @ 3255 in F) they are on the edge,especially with the steep ratios. Buy the way I have a 5 gallon pail of that Redline Shockproof 140w gear oil that never has been opened setting here collecting dust. Anybody give me 50 bucks ?
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #17
ericsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in fact using a Crush Sleeve, the car also has a Richmond Mini Spool in it.
ericsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #18
Mark Ruset

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Eric I've been running a 12 bolt 5:14 Richmond street gears for the past 3 years and have had no problems I run a 68 camaro in G automatic and launch about 2600 rpm. I feel the key to longevity with a 12 bolt is pinion depth. You ensure that both the ring and pinion are getting the most contact when you are dead on this, will make for long life.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #19
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Get rid of the crush sleeve and use a spacer kit with shims. This will maintain the pinion depth. The shock everytime you drop the clutch will have an effect on the crush sleeve.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
JDEMARZO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used a street gear with a 31 spline axle in a G/SA (3250 lbs) for 15 years with no breakage, same gear set. Leaving on the converter is different than leaving on a trans brake. I have a A/SA with a pro gear because all the other A/SA cars ripped the street gears out within 10 runs on a 2-step or foot braking not even a trans brake.

I really do no think you can use a street gear with a trans brake.... Too much stress to the gear set on the launch. If A/S (leaving @ 7000 plus ) and super stock cars using trans brakes are using a 12 bolt your combo should be fine with a pro-gear with the trans brake. Buying pro gears is lot cheaper than changing the rear to a 9 inch.

J.DeMarzo
JDEMARZO is offline   Reply With Quote