HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
Mike Mayhew
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Cheating [2-step And Buttons]

The guy Al and the Emmons caught at Dallas name was Muncey, or something like that.
Of course if a guy gets caught cheating in Stock, he can always go to NHRA Pro Stock, Ala Dave Connally.

Mike Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

All you automatic guys just don't get it. A stick car leaves off the clutch it doesn't care when you release a button long throw short throw or hydraulic. It leaves when I let the clutch out. I say ban them in autos allow them in Sticks.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
burton5809

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Greene View Post
All you automatic guys just don't get it. A stick car leaves off the clutch it doesn't care when you release a button long throw short throw or hydraulic. It leaves when I let the clutch out. I say ban them in autos allow them in Sticks.

Then just take the buttons out of the automatics but keep the 2 step....Just make it where there are no buttons. Then both the auto cars and the sticks are leaving off a pedal. Or is that still to much of an ""advantage"" for the auto cars?
burton5809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgriffith View Post
Lee,,,have you ever thought about blinding the tree and leaving on the second bulb?????,,,I know,,,I know,,its too quick,,,,BUT how about second gear at about 2500???? or even 3rd gear (if possible),,,,it could be worked out,,,VAN is doing it now and he is nearly perfect every pass in the Burb,,,,I seen a string of .00`s to .01`s that would make your mouth water,,,your car is fast enough to run under the index with no problem even leaving in 2nd and maybe 3rd,,,,,,need to try it at a frid test if it wont tear any thing up

you racers that have a heavy slow car can use a 2 step off the 2nd bulb leaving out of 2nd or third gear,,,,kills only about .5 to .60 tenths and still have the option of Flash racing like the faster cars......if 2steps/buttons stay legal,,,,,thats our intentions,,,,,,going to get a huge wagon that runs about 1.00 under and leave out of high gear,,,,,it will work ---or maybe a turbo car--who knows???
Tim,

As hard as this thing is on parts and discs in particular, I wouldn't dream of trying to leave in second gear.

Last couple of times out I have had a pretty good handle on the tree, so hopefully tomorrow night I will be able to find it again...
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #15
Cam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch man View Post
WHATS FAIR FOR 1 SHOULD BE FAIR FOR THE OTHER??????? Why let one car do it and not the other i run a stick but whats good for one car is good for the other no unfair treatment for a certain combo make it fair for all cars and drivers. now lets start another argument for stick cars????????? and 2 steps?????????????? hahahahahah be here all year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing stick cars in Stock with automatics is a bit like apples and oranges isn't it? As Rod says the launch is controlled solely by your left foot. The only electronics effecting the launch of the car is the wiring to your brain.
What would be that plan to launch a stick car without a 2 step? Seems fairly clear without a two step the stick racers are not in the game.
Keep the rpm control but leave with your foot. IMO that's Stock.
Cam Chowen
NHRA 6067
B/FI
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #16
Beth Denysenko
Live Reporter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Then we have a solution. Allow two steps, but only with a pedal activation. No advantage for sticks or automatics, and if you want to run one, you can, if you don't, footbrake away.

I have not been racing long, but learned footbraking. I have now made 14 passes using the two step and I must say it has greatly helped my consistency downtrack as I am leaving at the same RPM every time - still looking for the consistency off the line but I understand totally that comes with practice practice. And I am still trying to figure out a consistent way to stage with the two step, but with only 14 attempts, I don't expect miracles.

There are SO SO SO many ways to lose in this sport. And with a slower car, I have an additional one with the first opportunity to redlight (I know, another discussion). Keep the two steps please, since this essentially is a bracket class and the consistency they offer helps a newbie like me even the playing field even just a bit. And for those "footbrake only" guys, try it some time. You might not be so quick to get them out of the sport. Might even want one on your car.

www.moneymakerracing.net
Beth Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
stockracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Norton...You need deep staging back! lol But thats a whole nother topic...I cant count the times that people have been caught cheating while deepstaging!
stockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #18
tgriffith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beth,,yes your car will be more consistent,,,yes,,it easier to hold,,,,yes,,you leave at exactly the same RPM,,,,,,,,,You will be extremely hard pressed to ever be consistent on the tree,,,,,,the reason is because you will have to rythm race to have any type of RT to be competitve,,,,not that it cant be done,,It can BUT your problem lies with the LED`s,,,,,,Almost everyone I know that rythm raced has an extreme tough time doing so now,,,,And Im not talking about racers who dont win,,,Im speaking of world champs,,,,track champs,,,A few, I consider some of the best on the planet,,,,,just cant do it anymore,,,,,,,,,In the neck of the woods where I race,,,how they dealt with this problem is they got faster cars,,,,,Its likely to go to a race and by the 3rd round, if your dialed 6.8`s,,,,your the slowest car in the field,,,,,,anyway

the reason I`m stating this is,,think what your trading off, the A-E cars are able to flash race and be .010 nearly every pass while slower cars (without the aid of deepstaging) are stuck rythm racing ,,,,IN your car,,no matter what your think,,,to have a good RT (between .000 and .020),,,you will need to leave about ..07 to .10 BEFORE the last LED,,,,,I know there will be those who claim,,,no not me,,,I see the last LED,,,,do yourself a favor ,,,go to a test and tune,,,,ask them to set for a .500 pro tree and just see,,,,,you will be surprised what you find,,,,,

,,,,,the one thing I keep hearing is that the "winners of the week" could win in anything,,,,,,,maybe thats true,,,so why are they driving A-d cars if they can win in a P/SA???.....just look at the results,,they dont lie,,,,,,why would you spend 50k in a car when you could spend only 10k in a car if there is no advantage???,,,,,It all comes back to the 2step/button leaving,,,,

Last edited by tgriffith; 09-21-2007 at 09:59 AM.
tgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If the button goes to the brake pedal a switch would have to be installed so it doesn't engage itself again at the finish line when you step on the pedal again. Ive done that before alot of banging and popping.
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #20
Kandra Villani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've driven a car that IS set up so the 2 step is only engaged in low gear on the line. SOME of you are making generalizations for others based on only YOUR car about no problems involved in "holding the car" on the line, The car I mention is NOT a SS car, it's a SLOW stocker. (See the "other" forum for a post by Lane Weber leaving Class Racing). This car has NO availability for larger drums, and therefore cannot be "held" at a decent rpm on the line. The brakes on this car basically suck, we used to footbrake it, but it cost ET. The car I mention STILL, after spending a bunch of money, and now having blown the new engine in less than a season, battling the index. Between letting this racer (who kicks our butts in anything, including a bathtub with wheels if it were available) no longer have a 2 step, and changing the index, he's basically done. Yes, some cars can hold just fine on the footbrake, but there are a select few that the combo just doesn't have that ability. Ok, put larger drums on, fine, IF available. He's tried vacuum cans and all the tricks, the car won't hold. So, now he's done with class racing. This man is a former WORLD CHAMP, not in Stock, but he's a former D5 champ in Stock, and so..........he's thinking he's just flat done. Thanks to the whiners and maybe a couple of cheaters. The technology is available, why can't we use it???? I think it just makes it so NHRA doesn't have to go looking, and I understand, it's a tough job, but taking out racers that don't have serious amounts of $$$ to change everything, isn't right.

BTW, NHRA has refused to change his hp in the past, yet there are combos in his class that have recieved hp back TWICE in just one year!!!! We started that combo in 1997, he's still battling it!!! He's written letters and the like, the person on the East Coast that has/had that combo ran well, but with WAY more funding.

I think that the decision by NHRA is a hasty one. I know 2 other D5 racers that the changes will probably push out of competition as well.

Kandra
Kandra Villani is offline   Reply With Quote