Old 11-23-2023, 01:20 PM   #11
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts
Default Re: Car classification guide Gen5 and Gen6 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
As you say, never happen.

NHRA seems to be obsessed with the back door , non- showroom late models.

New style Camaros and such appear in Stock, Super Stock, Comp, Showdown, now in "X" , Pro Stock..

Some of these cars are even slated to be discontinued, but they don't seem to care.
By no means are any of these combos considered entry level.

Conspiracy theory here..The more expensive these classes become, the more they can charge for entries, meanwhile doing away with contingency award money.
The manufacturers have TOTAL control over which combinations are submitted. There are definitely some negotiations over the specifications that are submitted. But, that is the extent of it.

All of your theories on the NHRA in regards to this matter are just not true (from my experience).

Last edited by GUMP; 11-23-2023 at 01:23 PM.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,944 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote:
As you say, never happen.

NHRA seems to be obsessed with the back door , non- showroom late models.

New style Camaros and such appear in Stock, Super Stock, Comp, Showdown, now in "X" , Pro Stock..

Some of these cars are even slated to be discontinued, but they don't seem to care.
By no means are any of these combos considered entry level.

Conspiracy theory here..The more expensive these classes become, the more they can charge for entries, meanwhile doing away with contingency award money.
Mark, I'm not real sure that it's the NHRA having a say on this. I don't believe that NHRA much cares whose or what cars are going down their tracks as long as they are paying to get in. It would almost seem to be counter-productive to limit the number of makes and combos they allow. At the same time, I can't imagine the manufacturers NOT wanting to see their (few remaining) cars and SUVs going up-and-down tracks in competition of any kind.
I've found as I'm sure that you have too that when my Cavalier comes in the lanes, almost all of the younger kids flock to my butt ugly, 4 door "race" car! Why IMHO? Because they can somewhat relate to it.
I do know that the NHRA and the manufacturers have to find a way to keep kids interested in this sport or it's going to go away eventually.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:43 PM   #13
Dyno

Liked 607 Times in 178 Posts

Unless you have an older car to start with, it is way less expensive to start with a newer car. If you can stand a little mud, there are thousands of flood cars for sale. In most cases, the builder will be removing all the wiring, emission equipment, etc., but you will be starting with a rust free body. You will be time and money ahead.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:13 PM   #14
GTS340

Liked 1,076 Times in 337 Posts

Paul Wong has been working to specs on a 2009- Dodge Challenger V6. Seems to be a lot of work.

Paul Haszlauer
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #15
GTS340

Try and google specs on a new Dodge V6. Very little as far as the engine. You'll find the factory horsepower rating, displacements specs and maybe compression spec. There is nothing to be found on Camshaft size, rocker ratios and how the compression number is formed. If you were to look at 5 on line threads from enthusiast. You would get 10 different answers on the correct specs.On your point there are folks that like V6 combos.

Paul H.
Old 11-23-2023, 03:30 PM   #16
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,556 Times in 1,729 Posts

Gump, Billy

Why do you suppose they keep creating classes for the factory cars?
Do you think that it's because the faster et's , the better chance people might stay in the stands to watch them?
That brings me back to them having no interest in Jr.Stock or entry level cars.
They wouldn't even add one FWD class, without deleting another one.
Old 11-23-2023, 03:49 PM   #17
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,944 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote:
Gump, Billy

Do you think that it's because the faster et's , the better chance people might stay in the stands to watch them?
That brings me back to them having no interest in Jr.Stock or entry level cars.
They wouldn't even add one FWD class, without deleting another one.
I am going to ASSume that these classes are being "pushed" by the manufacturers and chassis/engine builders and IMHO this Factory X deal is dead already.
The people who "might stay in the stands" would likely be far more intrigued and entertained by watching Daren and I face off in eliminations then watching two identical "on-the-edge" cars go at it and see which one loses traction first.
I am again going to ASSume that the FWD "thing" was influenced by one Racer's phone call to one Tech who was/is uninformed because the FWD Racers don't call NHRA. If the FWD Racers organized a "call-in campaign" that could/would get changed.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 06:55 PM   #18
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Gump, Billy

The manufacturers have submitted faster combinations. With today's technology they have evolved.

The FS/ classes were created because of all the crying....
Old 11-23-2023, 08:03 PM   #19
GTS340

Which department of today's manufactures actually submits the specs. The "manufacture" use to submit 4drs, stationwagons, trim coded cars, with every engine the manufacture had available. It appears now by NHRA books. The only vehicle Chrysler makes is a Challenger with a Hemi.

Paul H
Old 11-23-2023, 11:26 PM   #20
Larry Merk

Liked 221 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS340 View Post
Which department of today's manufactures actually submits the specs. The "manufacture" use to submit 4drs, stationwagons, trim coded cars, with every engine the manufacture had available. It appears now by NHRA books. The only vehicle Chrysler makes is a Challenger with a Hemi.

Paul H

Which department submits specs? The Department of REVENUE of course. It is all about money.

All 3 manufacturers submit only the cars they want you to race: brand new COPO Camaros, Cobra Jet Mustangs, and Drag Pak Challengers.

They don't see any benefit to themselves putting station wagons or anything else in the guide. Go look in Dwight's Class Racer Info database and I don't think you will find any cars except those I listed above after 2008.