HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #21
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
If what you say is true about shakers then explain the 1970 Cuda that I ordered and received with a 340, shaker and 4-speed. According to the dealer order form at the time the shaker was available for the 340 and up.

PS never should have gotten rid of it.
You are correct.

Reportedly there was another issue with the Challenger Shaker. Not only was there a shortage from the supplier on Challenger shaker assemblies but the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). The Challenger hood is a full length hood (regardless of application); from front edge to wiper / cowl assembly. The Barracuda or 'Cuda does not extend as far forward as it has a front header panel. In a frontal impact the Barracuda hood has some protection offered by the header panel, the Challenger hood is not protected. On a Challenger hood with a shaker opening there is less material and the hood easily buckles. This can cause the rear of the hood to raise, go through the front windshield and possibly decapitate the front occupants.
For that reason the shaker shortage was directed to the Barracuda when ordered and the T/A hood was used as a fresh air hood when ordered on the Challenger (if Shaker was not available for installation).
Thaqt's my story...I'm stickin' too it!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #22
cudadoug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
If what you say is true about shakers then explain the 1970 Cuda that I ordered and received with a 340, shaker and 4-speed. According to the dealer order form at the time the shaker was available for the 340 and up.

PS never should have gotten rid of it.
Well, I love the internet. A little research turned up this gem:

Beginning on July 29, 1969, the Shaker Hood became available with the 340-ci, 383-ci (335 horse power), and the 440-ci four-barrel engines, including the ...

I guess I should change my handle from cudadoug to "I don't know everything like I thought I did-doug" Or "don't believe everything you're told by the so-called experts-doug".

You sir, seem to be correct. And you are also correct in that you never should have gotten rid of it...

Since a hood post generated so much chatter, I better start another one about bogus heads...JUST KIDDING!

Thanks again guys!
cudadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #23
bigshow2966

Liked 82 Times in 35 Posts
Talking Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

One also has to consider that on a lot of the Shaker cars the scoop package was dealer installed, not factory.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 89 Times in 46 Posts
Wink Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
You can pick up just about any mopar book and learn which bodies and engines the shakers were available on (code N96 fresh air option). You can find why the T/A hood was not just a T/A engine option and why. If you were really lazy you could contact somebody like Galen Govier (?) and pay him for the information with a break down of production numbers by engine.
Jeff,

Sorry, but I have little faith in these 40 years after the fact revelations. Many years ago the Mustang books were full of rumored 1972 "Boss" (Low compression, High Output, 351C 4 speed cars) and the Mustang Guru at the time said they did not exist. Yet there were two of them at the high school near us in Illinois. And they were pretty quick in local competition if you understand it. Many years later they were "discovered". What I have never, ever seen is the 780 Holley and aluminum intake 351C model which we can race.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 89 Times in 46 Posts
Wink Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
You are correct.

Reportedly there was another issue with the Challenger Shaker. Not only was there a shortage from the supplier on Challenger shaker assemblies but the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). The Challenger hood is a full length hood (regardless of application); from front edge to wiper / cowl assembly. The Barracuda or 'Cuda does not extend as far forward as it has a front header panel. In a frontal impact the Barracuda hood has some protection offered by the header panel, the Challenger hood is not protected. On a Challenger hood with a shaker opening there is less material and the hood easily buckles. This can cause the rear of the hood to raise, go through the front windshield and possibly decapitate the front occupants.
For that reason the shaker shortage was directed to the Barracuda when ordered and the T/A hood was used as a fresh air hood when ordered on the Challenger (if Shaker was not available for installation).
Thaqt's my story...I'm stickin' too it!
Jeff,

Please give us your AMX since the NHTSA feels the hood makes it unsafe for you. We'll take goo care of it, really.

Has anyone ever seen the factory air cleaner housing for one of these non 6 pack glass hood cars? It would have to be one of the rarest production pieces ever made right? And what about all the Mustangs which have hoods that go to the very front of the car?
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #26
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Miller View Post
Answers in order are:

1) No
2) Yes they are allowed
3) See page 272 paragraph 7:3 of the 2009 NHRA rulebook (fenders also mean 1/4 panel)

Travis

PS. No Terry, you do not get the L88 hood on your Corvette unless you put the correct L88 engine beneath it.
Party pooper
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #27
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Smile Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

Herb, bucket seats in a wagon? If they were, it was in the preminum wagon. I assume you are talking about the mid size barge (b body) and not the aircraft carrier (c) body. I do have all the part books back to l960 and I will investigate. Now I'm curious. Anybody anything else while I'm looking? Hemi in a station wagon? In the body illustrations for b bodies in l966, the wagon is a Hemi. But it is not an actual photo.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #28
Neal Derochie

Liked 34 Times in 8 Posts

Jeff Teuton, since you asked if anybody else had questions i thought i would ask you, I was looking at some old pictures of John Hagan and Judy Lilly's SS/AA cars in 1970, both cars do not have hood scoops, i assume they were top of the line cars for the day, any idea why no hood scoops in 1970, just wondering what the reason may have been.

Thanks Neal
Neal Derochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

Jeff a 66 or 67 383 wagon. And yes it did show a Hemi wagon. Lee Smith drove one in super stock in 68. SS/G
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #30
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Jeff Teuton said, "Anybody anything else while I'm looking?"

Yes.... I have two reference books that specifically state that for the model year, 1972, the 340 could be special-ordered in ANY mopar. Just that one year, only.

I have a '72 Valiant 4 door sedan and wondered if what those books say is true. I've never seen a 340 in a sedan, but then, I haven't seen EVERYTHING.

Is there anything you have that goes baxck to 1972 to see if there's any truth to what these books say?

Shipping weight on a 318 Duster is 2875; 2900 on the 4-door Valiant. The 340 Duster is 3100, so a 340 Valiant 4-door might reasonably assumed to be 3125 (since there is a 25-pound difference in the 318 cars.)

Just some food for thought; my sedan already has a lot of the equipment (8.75" rear, "built" T-flite, good headers, fuel cell, etc.) that a Stocker would need.... all I'd have to do, basically, is drop a '72 "built" 340 Stocker engine in it and go racing... but, it's not in the Classification Guide, so I'd have that hurdle... IF they ever built any.

Guess the next stop would be the Chrysler Historical outfit, IF it's still in existence, with the bankruptcy business...

Just daydreaming, here...

Thanks for any information.

Last edited by bill dedman; 07-29-2009 at 12:14 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote