HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
NORMAN BARNARD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: carb help, Holley dbl pump.

Steve, read the posts, i think you'll change your mind. The mans carburetor emptys the float bowl just setting on the work bench,
no vacuum being applied at that time. They should not leak out the idle hole or the transfer slot when not in use.
NORMAN BARNARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,739 Times in 551 Posts

OK, i fixed it, sort of....
this is what i found, and did. after no success with fixing leak on the car, i took the carb off. i saw that the leak seemed to be coming from the small hole in the left bottom- out to the transfer slots at the butterflies. i painted the main plate surface and took a file to it till i was happy it was straight, drilled out the hole for the metering block pin. put on without a gasket, seemed good, no rock or uneven hitting anywhere. put new gaskets on filled bowl and watched it just drip out of the transfer slots again. ugggh. so i looked at my other quick fuel carb. no hole on this main body. OK, so i taped the hole closed w/ aluminum tape. no more leak, put back on car, no more issues! i would just like to know why this continued to leak and why is it not needed? if it is not needed at all i will prob. go back and epoxy it shut.. thoughts?

Last edited by Keith 944; 09-12-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
NORMAN BARNARD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

keith, that hole in the venturi hsg. is for holleys timed port vac. system, not in new hsg's such as the 950's. if this application is for a race car "plug" it with some jb weld or a small brass plug, you don't need it. wish i had seen the pic's before as i thought you were using stock metering blocks......good luck.....
NORMAN BARNARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Keith 944
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMAN BARNARD View Post
Keith, that hole in the venturi hsg. is for holleys timed port vac. system, not in new hsg's such as the 950's. if this application is for a race car "plug" it with some jb weld or a small brass plug, you don't need it. wish i had seen the pic's before as i thought you were using stock metering blocks......good luck.....
you helped me a great deal, thank you. this is a street/strip car. the hard start thing was driving me batty! i knew we would get it worked out eventually. again to everyone that made any input, I THANK YOU !!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
66Cuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a quick fuel metering block 34-4 on my carb.....Same darn thing has been happening.... I have had the carb apart 6 times trying to figure this out....It leaks out of the passenger side front transfer slot....Floods the motor and ruins the oil.....I was going to try my old metering block today....but maybe I can just plug the hole...

Last edited by 66Cuda; 11-07-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: wrong quote
66Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
Keith 944
VIP Member

yep, i plugged the hole and flipped the gasket just in case. been working great ever since!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #27
66Cuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
yep, i plugged the hole and flipped the gasket just in case. been working great ever since!
You can just flip the gasket? I have a few gaskets I'm looking at right now....If I flip one onto the other...three holes are different...I'm gonna go grab a metering block and look at it....I put my stock metering block back on and the leak stopped. Maybe it's in my head but the car doesn't feel as fast....I'm going to the track Saturday.
66Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
Keith 944
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Cuda View Post
You can just flip the gasket? I have a few gaskets I'm looking at right now....If I flip one onto the other...three holes are different...I'm gonna go grab a metering block and look at it....I put my stock metering block back on and the leak stopped. Maybe it's in my head but the car doesn't feel as fast....I'm going to the track Saturday.
yeah, i flipped the gasket, it was a quick fuel gasket, had to poke a new hole for one alignment peg, all other holes stayed same except one at bottom, and i did plug that hole anyway....
if you just want to try it out, i put aluminum tape over that hole on the main body first. that is when the leak stopped.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #29
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMAN BARNARD View Post
Just because it has power valve plugs it doesn't mean the gaskets are not leaking. I've fixed a lot of complaints lately because of gasket failure. To check to see if that's the problem fill the bowls to normal level, remove from motor and put on a carb. Fixture to elevate at least 2 inches. Wipe the bottom of the baseplate to make sure it's dry, let it set for a while, recheck to see if it's leaking, if it is it will becoming out the p/v vac. Port in the base plate. Then proceed to disassemble and repair. Caution: With the holley p/v gaskets it's easy to over tighten them and then they trar apart. Not so if they are after market with the teflon coating

hope this help's.....norm
we see this alost daily with many of our sytreet /strip customers we switched over to AED Holley small parts a couple of years ago when we saw saw over 90% of Holley's stuff coming from China. very diss heartening when you are selling a Weiand intake manifold labeled machined in USA from a China.
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote