Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #21
Matt Welker

Liked 67 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: FS/XX - SS/AH In Comp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Second, the AH cars got a very less than favorable index and probably the only way that will get moved is after they show that they are not competitive, which means they show up to race and know their taking a beatin for how long ???? Don't see that happening.
I know one AH car that is going to show up and take a beating at every race all year. Sure, the AH/SM index is tough and a little unreasonable, but it is better then running A/SM. Hopefully a correction will happen, but even with personal indexes in comp, they shouldn't and won't gift new classes as 70+ under players at the start.
Matt Welker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #22
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 329 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
I like the idea. The index should be a little higher for each of the classes. Maybe 8.90 for the Hemi cars and 8.60 for the Factory cars. Just an idea.
^^ I agree
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #23
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bailey View Post
I think it's a positive "start". It addresses a couple issues. Number one - too many classes in Super Stock. Number two - short car counts in Comp. My thought is to continue on, and move other "Modified" classes in Super Stock to Comp to further clean up the SS class, and returning to the more conventional SS Cars. This could also lead to a cleansing in Stock, by making room for the current Super Stock style cars running in Stock to be moved to SS where they belong.....
That's a step in the right direction.Maybe bring back some of the old Modified classes. Be nice seeing gassers, lower class M/P cars, etc. When I quit racing Stock in 2010 I had a few 4+ second handicaps F/S cars were in the mid 9's) it really got your attention when they came by you at the stripe at 60 mph.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #24
Frito

Liked 119 Times in 40 Posts

I agree with Bucky. Bob Book also just put a nice observation out there also. Out of the 38 SS/AH cars that were out last year only 5 were able to get under 8.40 and 3 of those were at Gainesville where the conditions helped big time. NHRA needs some racers involved with some of their decision making. There are some great technical as well as business people racing that would be happy to lend there expertise. If they really want to keep the 68 Hemi cars racing, let the ones in comp have the option to go to rack & pinion steering and get the center/drag link out of the oil pan .

Last edited by Frito; 01-30-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: ii
Frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #25
ssracer3821

Liked 114 Times in 31 Posts

Is the Warfish for sale? If so - problem solved!
ssracer3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #26
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 286 Posts

I cant imagine all Comp racers are thrilled with a bigger field as well as making room for the new darlings of Sportsman racing. I would think NHRA would go out of their way to make FS cars very competitive, very quickly, in their new Eliminator. AH index probably needs to be 8.90-.95. Should be interesting.
Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:38 PM   #27
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
This is a good move for all but two things, at first it will be hard to accept the new FS cars mixing it up with the regular group but given the diversity of the class it won't take long to for them to fit in. Second, the AH cars got a very less than favorable index and probably the only way that will get moved is after they show that they are not competitive, which means they show up to race and know their taking a beatin for how long ???? Don't see that happening.
I don't think NHRA will let the FS cars take a beating for long....
Mike
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #28
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hill View Post
Pawuk went 7.92 and Pritchett went 7.93 last year, so -.54 under in good air. Not to mention the 7.70s-7.80s runs made in testing with the new COPO and Cobra Jet combos these past couple weeks (granted, in really good air). These cars have continued to pick up a lot of ET every year, and it appears that 2019 will be more of the same. It may be a little tough right now, but it's at least in the ball park. The last thing comp needs is another AA/SM situation when a new class just demolishes everything else out there.

The AH index does seem super tough though. The quickest AH run in 2018 (at the Gators, no less) would only be -0.45 under the 8.75 index.

I love comp and hope this increases the field size.
you are right on Andrew, AH needs to be about an 85 , FX 8.47 is a little easy with the new blowers.
PS how will they run with Sunoco?????
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #29
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,317 Times in 264 Posts

So do the FS cars try to Q for FS and default to Comp at the Same race or do they have to declare and qualify for Comp at the start?
Do SSAH cars get to run class then fold into Comp instead of SS?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #30
Brian Oakes

Liked 410 Times in 115 Posts

I bet dyno's are running at the shops now with Sunoco in the tanks,LOL
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote